Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
someguy
Singhy

wierd rubbing sound while driving(FR)

Seems like this only happens while the car is cold. Im positive the sound is coming from the front passenger's side wheel well. Its like a rubbing of plastic against the tire, kind of like when you put a baseball card in the wheel of your bike. I looked at everything I possibly could to see if anything is touching/hanging, but couldn't find anything. The sound increases with the speed. It's not the engine or the wheel bearing. The sound goes away when I turn right, and it gets louder the more I turn left. When the car gets warm, it just fades away and disappears altogether. Even if I turn the car off and start it up while its still warm, theres no sound. I'm perplexed. Any ideas?
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

wheelbearing would be my guess, it will get very warm when its ****ed and might expand to a degree where it holds together better. check the temperature of the rim with your hand carefully.

if it is its not a big deal i had mine done parts and labor for less then 100 bucks on both sides. if you do replace the right do yourself a favor and do the left too.

NM you said its not the bearing. I would take the tire off and take a good look at your breaks, maybe rotate the tire to do different position. even though unlikely the tire it would take it out of the equation.

good luck

Last edited by Mickey Knox; 02-13-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Try pulling up the handbrake a little bit (till the light comes on) as you're rolling and see if the sound goes away. This happens to me when the car is cold... Also had a similar problem with handbrake noise in my old e36 but that was when turning right and didn't matter if cold/hot.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
someguy
Singhy

hmmmm i seem to have found a solution...although it may just be temporary. I went to a touchless car wash last night which included an under body wash, and no sound this morning! I already know its not the bearing because of the distinct sound. I'll try the handbrake thing if it returns.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

mighty carwash

if it fixes rubbing noises.

hope its gone
Old 03-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
someguy
Singhy

okay guys sorry to bump this thread, didnt wanna start a new one....

so the rubbing is back....with a vengeance, lol. It is LOUD and this time its not going away even when the car is warm. I've checked everything...nothing seems to make it go away, and I think it may actually be coming from the left front not the right, but hell for all I know it could be coming from the back. Its directly related to speed, and it goes away when I turn left, but gets "grindier" when I turn right. Over 60km/h I can feel it in the floor. Like I said, I checked to make sure there is nothing touching the tires or wheels. I got the car on a lift to see behind the wheels but again I saw nothing. Is it possible the muffler might be rubbing up against the back tire, and when I turn left, it swings away? I never thought of that earlier so I didnt check it. Any advice guys?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
topshotta
1st Gear Newbie

Cool interesting

I think i had a weird rubbing sound once similar to that, i had to change a lil ball bearing in the two piece drive shaft, do u get any hesitations when you accelarate? In my case, the faster i went, the pitch of the sound got higher.
topshotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:12 AM   #8
topshotta
1st Gear Newbie

have it lifted up and have the driveshaft looked at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw1.jpg (100.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
okay guys sorry to bump this thread, didnt wanna start a new one....

so the rubbing is back....with a vengeance, lol. It is LOUD and this time its not going away even when the car is warm. I've checked everything...nothing seems to make it go away, and I think it may actually be coming from the left front not the right, but hell for all I know it could be coming from the back. Its directly related to speed, and it goes away when I turn left, but gets "grindier" when I turn right. Over 60km/h I can feel it in the floor. Like I said, I checked to make sure there is nothing touching the tires or wheels. I got the car on a lift to see behind the wheels but again I saw nothing. Is it possible the muffler might be rubbing up against the back tire, and when I turn left, it swings away? I never thought of that earlier so I didnt check it. Any advice guys?

this is almost certainly the front left bearing, dont be cheap, replace both at the same time. I had mine done for under 100 bucks.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
someguy
Singhy

wtf i just dont understand how it could be the bearing...i have records that say taht the front control arms, bushings, bearings were replaced about 5000 km before I bought the car. I have only put about 25000km on it since then. Anyways I think I'll go get it checked out at rmp or bimmersport
Old 03-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

dunno man, bearing certainly shouldnt fail after 30k, unless the mechanic forgot to pack it with grease. but the indicators you have are classic wheel bearing:

more pronounced when driving faster, worse when turning one way, and the sense of feeling the noise in your foot, all points to the bearing. but i will gladly stand corrected if somebody has a better suggestion.

let us know what it was in the end.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
someguy
Singhy

well i've had the real right bearing go on me so i know how it sounds, so unless the front one sounds different when it goes bad, I'm pretty sure its not a bearing. Man I'm totally stumped on this one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: