Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
ruthmann88
1st Gear Newbie

WTB: E30 Blower Motor

Well my blower motor has been making this weird noise as it must of been hitting the side of the firewall. I should of fixed the problem then but I let it persist and I'm pretty sure the blower motor is blown.

I'm broke and I need heat lol. Anyone know the cheapest place to get another one in Canada, or anyone parting out an E30 with a working blower motor.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

s_ruthmann@sympatico.ca
ruthmann88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
soloe30
2nd Gear Member

hahah this ****ing sound is pissing me off.
soloe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Wingking
2nd Gear Member

you might get lucky and simply be able to rebalance the motor itself.
it's located whithin the firewall...if you see/hear the fans rubbing up against the casing, you might be able to twist/slide the motor ever so slightly so it doesn't make contact any longer.

good luck!
Wingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
ruthmann88
1st Gear Newbie

nah, I took it out, hooked it back up and got nothing. Fuse is good, so im pretty sure its just dead.
I have a E30 parts car if anyone is willing to trade another BMW part for the motor.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:55 AM   #5
soloe30
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingking View Post
you might get lucky and simply be able to rebalance the motor itself.
it's located whithin the firewall...if you see/hear the fans rubbing up against the casing, you might be able to twist/slide the motor ever so slightly so it doesn't make contact any longer.

good luck!
how do u reach it>>>
soloe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
Its in the manual, but look at the top of the firewall, there is a hatch, you will have to remove some clips and you may have the wiring harness strung across it. Open the cover and you will see the housing for the blower with valves at each end. Remove this inner cover and you will see the blower motor. Motor is held in by a metal spring clip. With the fan(car) off you can spind the fan by hand and see if its making contact anywhere - also if it does not spin freely its going to die soon. No contact does not mean its not hitting at speed though. Turn it on and look/listen. If the motor shaft is warped or the fan is not balanced, you can spend the cash to have it repaired/balanced with weights or just buy a known working one. The latter is generally the best way.
The resistors for the different fan speeds is located just below the fan motor. A little hard to see.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
ruthmann88
1st Gear Newbie

So if its not balanced properly its going to make contact? So I would be better off then buying a new one? Only problem is all the new ones are going for $200+.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
You are probably better getting a used one from a member or the wreckers.
I had one that was imbalanced and I tried to balance it myself with very light weights on the fins and it basically exploded. I replaced with a good used one and there have been no problems. Just be sure you get the right style of motor. There is an early/late difference. You can tell visually, but you can also tell by looking at your inlet for the heater core, if its aluminum, its the 5" fan, plastic, 4".

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
sproule905
6th Gear Member

pm sent

check your pm

sproule905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
ruthmann88
1st Gear Newbie

thanks for the clarification. just pm'd sproule905 hopefully he has the right one I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaught View Post
You are probably better getting a used one from a member or the wreckers.
I had one that was imbalanced and I tried to balance it myself with very light weights on the fins and it basically exploded. I replaced with a good used one and there have been no problems. Just be sure you get the right style of motor. There is an early/late difference. You can tell visually, but you can also tell by looking at your inlet for the heater core, if its aluminum, its the 5" fan, plastic, 4".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: