Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
mech9T8
3rd Gear Member

Just got an LSD, have a question

I need to swap the input flange because the LSD is 6 holes and current one is 4. I've seen the DIY for the switch but wondering if anyone has done it and has some tips.
I've also read that input flanges should never be removed?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Are you using a 6-hole m3 driveshaft as well?

FYI: 4-hole regular driveshafts will mount up to 6-hole m3 input shafts, as far as I can remember.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
mech9T8
3rd Gear Member

Using my stock drive shaft (4 hole).
I don't think 4 hole will bolt up to 6 hole (geometry doesn't work).
Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

This is not really something for a diy without proper tools ... you need to set the torque just right or something ... preload on the gears, whatever. I'd have a shop do it, or just pick up a 6 bolt driveshaft (Fil probably has one for cheaper than a shop will charge you).
Old 03-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
This is not really something for a diy without proper tools ... you need to set the torque just right or something ... preload on the gears, whatever. I'd have a shop do it, or just pick up a 6 bolt driveshaft (Fil probably has one for cheaper than a shop will charge you).
is Fil a local (driveshaft-diff) guy? cause i have the whole rear subframe from a 325i 4door w/lsd kick'n around..
I want to get that lsd in my 318is

I'm told i'll more then likely i'll need the back half of the 325i'd drive shaft with the front part of my 318is's shaft..
something about different lengths
Old 03-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Its not difficult to do, i watched rocco do mine, however, like scotch said, it will take you an hour to do properly if you've never done it before, a mechanic can do it in 5-10 mins.

I would definatly not swap the driveshaft, its overkill, having a shop swap the input shaft is real easy, and they can use the one off your stock diff.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
is Fil a local (driveshaft-diff) guy? cause i have the whole rear subframe from a 325i 4door w/lsd kick'n around..
I want to get that lsd in my 318is

I'm told i'll more then likely i'll need the back half of the 325i'd drive shaft with the front part of my 318is's shaft..
something about different lengths
Different subject, but you are right for your application.

Input shaft for the 4 bolt 325 and 6 bolt 328/M3 is the same leghnth just different bolt pattern, unlike it is for you putting a 318 D-shaft on a type 188 diff your looking to make up the difference in diff sizes.

Do not listen to the counter productive/negative ones who say " YOU CAN'T DO THAT" it really is simple as you have described in your first post, impact it off, swap them, saturate it in alot of gear oil, seat it in the new M3 diff, snug it then turn the shaft inside the diff to be sure it's seated well, then inpact it back on & install it on the car.
999666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
That's right.... there is a crush washer on the input flange that applies the correct pressure on the diff internals. Too tight and it'll bind, too loose and you'll have too much lash in the gears. It's not worth risking an LSD on the DIY. Just take it somewhere reputable... shouldn't cost much if you've got both diffs out of the car.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
mech9T8
3rd Gear Member

I've seen torque specs for the nut on the input flange.
And people also say to mark nut/bolt with paint mark so you know you won't overtighten. Won't this work?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: