Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Photography
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #16
kerisabe
Capturing the Impossible

^^^

Good eyes with the SLR pic, mirek. Pics turn out pretty good! I don't think the noise is that bad in those pics. The dog shot can be improved by not using the built-in camera but instead getting an external flash like the Canon 430EX or 580EXII and bouncing the flash off the ceiling etc instead of straight on the dog; and using selected auto focus point to one of the eyes.

Great pics to start with!
Old 03-12-2008, 03:52 AM   #17
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the kind comments, like i said, those are the better pics of the hundered or so i took. Some of the pics, did seem very shitty in quality, and some had high ISO's but i don't think all of them did. What causes noise?

As for the SLR, thats what i was trying to go for, and the picture i did have with the whole "SLR" in the picture looked fine on the tiny ass display but turned out to be completely blury! Remember, go for the bigger screen!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:04 AM   #18
kerisabe
Capturing the Impossible

Well.. lots of factors that cause noise. Obviously, the higher ISO you go, you will get more noise. The lower ISO is always better. Light also help lower (hide) your noise. For example, when there is no/little light available even when shooting at lower ISO such as ISO400, the noise is going to be very apparent in the darker part of the image. Software for digital noise is always your best friend, don't overuse it though.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #19
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Ya, i have no idea how to use the software and i really don't want to get to learn (lazy/stubborn). I just want to be able to take nice pictures without the editing. Is noise likely to show up if the ISO was set to 100?

Also, i know that an ad-on flash is better, but when is the camera flash good enough?

Last edited by Soldo; 03-12-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Soldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #20
qimis
Mr. Euro E30

Check out this link, they have some basic info on what you're looking to learn:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=417604
Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #21
kerisabe
Capturing the Impossible

^^^

Good resource to learn automotive photography.

There are a few good noise reduction software around, but a good friend of mine which is also a pro photographer (portraits) suggested Noiseware. It's pretty straight forward to use.

Imo, a camera flash is never good enough. Well.. u can use it to shoot night club scenes etc. Im never a fan of built-in flash myself.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #22
Soldo
6th Gear Member

I don't like it too much either, but i generally don't like flashes at all, i like the look of pictures when they look real. At least i'm comparing to the on camera flashes i've used.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #23
kerisabe
Capturing the Impossible

oh! I exactly know how u feelin about not liking to use flash. I'm still learning how to use flash(es) correctly, once u master/know how to take advantage of your flash (im talkin about external), it'll make your pics 10000x better imo.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #24
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

please keep this thread going and share your tips and tricks
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 AM   #25
Soldo
6th Gear Member

I was in chapters today, and it never even dawned upon to pick up a Photo magazine. I had no idea there was so many. Might have to take a subscription to one of them, anyone recomend any?

Also, whats the going rate of a decent canon flash used? I can't seem to find many of them on the local sites. Are you guys part of any Photo Forums?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 AM   #26
Manimillion
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo View Post
I was in chapters today, and it never even dawned upon to pick up a Photo magazine. I had no idea there was so many. Might have to take a subscription to one of them, anyone recomend any?

Also, whats the going rate of a decent canon flash used? I can't seem to find many of them on the local sites. Are you guys part of any Photo Forums?
If you want to take pictures of cars, flash is pretty much useless.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #27
kerisabe
Capturing the Impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimillion View Post
If you want to take pictures of cars, flash is pretty much useless.
Well I wouldnt say useless, you can use the flash (soft light) as a fill (second curtain). But yea, When shooting moving cars at the track bumping up your ISO is your best bet I guess.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #28
kerisabe
Capturing the Impossible

Some good tips from Andrew Yeadon, from TopGear. Shows how he does his photo sessions, how he uses his flash/strobe technique on automotive photography etc2.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/27/v...-srt8-gives-u/
Old 04-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #29
Qube
5th Gear Member

I like higher ISO (no flash, unless filled by Lightsphere). Add a dash of noise reduction by Noise Ninja. If needed, grab a monopod for places like the Autoshow. At shows, dinky flashes are bad as it makes it hard to white balance for all the other lighting around it. Only time I really use flash is with slow sync or Lightsphere'd.

Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #30
Gemini323
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo View Post

I figure that should hold you critics for a little while. Also, i noticed that some of the pictures i took look grainy (or noisy is it?). Almost like it was taken with my camera phone, even though the picture is in focus. Is that cause i had the ISO set too high?
Yup
ISO to high equals grain
Always try at a lower ISO first better pictures.

2000 323 CI
Gemini323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: