Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

stressed out & need an answer...

Hey,

Almost through installing my seats into my car & ran into a little snag (what a shock)

I ripped my fuse box apart; only to find a rats nest of wiring that would make most guys cringe. The multi-connectors throughout are INSANE! And nothing is identified at all! Found a spot where constant 12v power can be spliced into thank christ; but didn't find anything that was a switched ignition source. May have to run a wire from inside the car under the hood to the fuse box & then back to the harnesses; but that's stilla step or two away. Now to my question:

Can someone tell me if the power running to the power seat adjustments are constant 12v or switched ignition 12v? Also is the power running to the relay for the seat heaters constant or switched?

Once I've got that figured out; I'll be able to finish out the rest of the wiring & be able to get the seats bolted down.

By the way; anyone who was ever thinking of installing heated/power seats into a non-equipped car, just have someone smash you over the head with a 2x4 instead. It's alot less painful that way...

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower_Level View Post

Can someone tell me if the power running to the power seat adjustments are constant 12v or switched ignition 12v? Also is the power running to the relay for the seat heaters constant or switched?
i have power seats and i believe they work with no key in the ignition, so they would be perma plus, as for the heaters i dont know but i doubt they work while off. as for ignition plus, are you looking to draw power from that or just need the signal? if its just the isgnal you can take it from your glover compartment light, which is ignition +12, but will obviously not support large amounts of amps.

good luck
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

i had put power seats into my e36, and i had to do all the wiring and it was nothing hard(well not for me or anyone i know) so basically what i did is just dragged the wire from the battery in the trunk!!! It was simple and easy, i get constant power, even if the car is off!!!

i would suggest not to drag the wire from the fusebox, all those wires cant handle the amps, and they are just going to fry on you because they are all so thin!! if you dont want to do what i suggested then, there is a constant 12v that comes from the battery and its located in top left corner of the engine bay, its a big and fat red wire!!! good luck!!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

my problem is that I'm very picky about how I install things into my car & was trying my damnedness to get everything installed like the car was factory that way. So I want to use the fuse spots for the seat adjustments & the heaters that are factory spots. There is a point on the inside of the fusebox that directly connects to the block on the right side of the bay that comes directly from the battery. I think I'll use it to supply power to everything. Just don't know if that's the right way for the seat heater relay to be wired out of the fuses...

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
If you understand electrical diagrams, take a look at the Bentley manual, it shows the wiring.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

maybe

it seems the e36 is prewired for almost everything, so chances are you have a harness somewhere you can plug into. I doubt you will get this done without having the bentley and being able to read the electrical diagrams.
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: