Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-02-2002, 05:45 PM   #1
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Smile Put back my stock airbox today...

Alot of people might think "Why? Why not keep the cold air intake in?" well, i must have tried over 6 different intake systems for my car ranging from ECIS, to cheap ass OBX, to even a home-made one. I have a few comments on them,

1/ being that they all worked the same, even my homemade one
I didn't notice any difference driving with either of them in, so
I am assuming they all worked the same for me.

2/ My home made one sounded cooler =) (nice throaty sound)

but alas, i noticed my car just didn't have it's perks it once did when i bought it, and i've always had an intake on my car since i got my exhaust, and i always blamed the exhaust, or tranny, but it was my intake!!!

I switched back to my stock intake with a K&N filtercharger, and wow! what a difference! I have much more torque, and the car feels much smoother all throughout the shifts etc.

In conclusion, i am just assuming that an intake kit just isn't made for automatic cars. See what happens, is inbetween shifts there is a lag, and during that lag the intake rattles like crazy, and then you get proper air flowing again around 2500rpms (which takes time to get to! =/) During that spool up, you lose precious quarter mile time, not to mention power. With the stock air box it seems to have the same ammount of power and torque all throughout the rpm's, not just at above 2500~3000rpm

This would be much different with a standard car where i could shift at high enough revs that my rpms wouldn't drop below 3000rpm and everything would work peachy....not the case with the auto =/

Can anybody comment? Are my findings all in my head or does it sound logical? I dont think i'll be putting another intake kit in my car just because it seems to run much more smoothly without it, it's less noisy, and there is very little stall now.

But whatever works right?

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 10:52 PM   #2
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
DJContra,

Whow, we almost have psyhic powers!
I also took out the crappy ractive intake that my friend gave me for free and put in the stock airbox back in today.
I haven't driven the car yet, but I think that in my case, never put a ractive CAI. I only left it on the car for a while because I like that CAI noise that it produces under hard throttle. Anyhow, I was driving on the freeway, and I noticied that when i started on 2nd gear around 3800rpm, and once I punched it, the pick up felt slow, well on my butt dyno.
But I think having just an intake itself as a mod on an auto car, well I got a gut feeling that you won't noticie a difference, maybe a loss or maybe a tiny bit of gain in the high end? no?

Anyhow, I think my car is breathing much better now w/the stock airbox + removing the first baffle plate on the intake box
Old 03-03-2002, 12:38 AM   #3
Helldiver
1st Gear Newbie

Lightbulb Yup!

Yup,

What you said is quite possible since many intake systems are just for looks and may even make you lose power... especially if it was not specifically designed and well tuned for your type of car.

You may get more power in the high end but lose power compared to stock in other ranges etc...
Old 03-03-2002, 06:48 AM   #4
Gamite

Hrm, thats really interesting, now I have second thoughts of modding my intake. Oh well, save $$$

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 08:57 AM   #5
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
How can I remove the first baffle in the stock airbox? Is it something i can try and put back, or is it a permanent mod?

I'll have to say, with the aftermarket intakes, my top end feels much more powerfull, but with the stock airbox, my rpm's are only at around 2800 at 120km/h where as with the intake it was above 3000 (where i believe the most power starts in my car)

I dont think i'd ever go back to an aftermarket intake unless i was in a show or went to the track (And even then it'd have to be the really looooong cold air intake i have that fits right in the front air dam) plus i think my car sounds more refined without all the noise under the hood...i can now listen to my sweet sounding exhaust =)

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 03-03-2002, 10:10 AM   #6
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
djcontra

I'm not sure if removing the first baffle plate will make a big difference. I just know that once you remove it, the opening becomes larger. I believe the first baffle plate is used to resonate the sound and restrict a bit of airflow? What you do is take out your airbox.
Look at opening where the outside air flows into the airbox. Now look on the side (if you're sitting in the driver seat, that would be the left side of the airbox) of it and you should see like a plastic piece that looks like you can push it inwards allowing you to pop something out. If you see that, try pushing it harder and then you can pull out the first baffle plate. I was stupid back then and I kind of filed the TAB down just to get the baffle out. You can put it back in too.

There's also a second baffle plate on the other side or the airbox (as in the opening where the air would get after it has been filtered) but I heard it's not recommended to remove it as it will cause more air turbulance? If you have the time, try the first baffle plate and tell me how it goes!

There's also one more mod which is the water injestion removal procedure. Do you know how to do that?
Old 03-03-2002, 10:31 AM   #7
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Yeah i actually did the water ingestion mod
in a nutshell you take off the covering just above the grill area (looks sorta triangular where the hood latches to the car)
then by the driverside grill there is a piece of plastic you just cut off and it lets more air into the snorkel for the stock intake.
I think it made a little difference as the intake now sucks in more air, where as before it only sucked in half that.

Check out this link too:

http://www.logun.org/h2o.htm

it has pictures and instructions to get this as your final result

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 03-04-2002, 07:02 PM   #8
Matthew C Smith
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Matthew C Smith
I'm not sure if you guys had them, but heatshields are the most important part on a CAI.

If you didn't have one, that could explain your loss of power.

Click the picture to see my NEWLY REDESIGNED webpage

Carbon Fiber Roundels are BACK
Matthew C Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 07:28 PM   #9
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

naw i dont think the heat shield made any difference to my car
i even have a special intake i tried that piped down to the front air dam where it forced cold outside air into the filter element and still didn't work very well.

i just think automatic bimmers just aren't made for the whole intake thing. But oh well, i'm not fretting, i still do have to agree the intake kit helps when doing 200km/h, but alas i dont do that too often =)

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Display Modes Rate This Thread