Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
scottyp
dungeon master

Toe In Problem

So i just picked up a '88 325is and it has h&r race springs and bilstein shocks i drove it back from california to toronto, ontario and by the time i got to indianapolis i needed to buy new tires on the rear of the car. When i started my journey the tires had at least 85% life left on them and the original owner had not had them long. they look like they have alot of toe in and i do not know how to fix this, yes i have used the search button. also when i go past 50 mph the wheel has a vibration and im pretty sure it is coming from the rear. when i got new tires the tech told me that its a simple fix to get more toe out but he didnt have the part available right away. help????
scottyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

no e30's had adjustable rear toe from the factory. the only way to adjust it is with eccentric bushings or slotted trailing arm mounts.

that being said, theres no way you should be going through tires like that, even excessively lowered. get it up on an alignment rack and see what the problem is. maybe the PO installed one of those parts, and they shifted around a bit.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryriderX View Post
no e30's had adjustable rear toe from the factory. the only way to adjust it is with eccentric bushings or slotted trailing arm mounts.

that being said, theres no way you should be going through tires like that, even excessively lowered. get it up on an alignment rack and see what the problem is. maybe the PO installed one of those parts, and they shifted around a bit.
+1

Theres no way camber can wear things out that fast, definitely a toe problem. Something bent like a trailing arm or something? Bushings worn out beyond belief?? I doubt it though... That is REDE30iS' car from R3V right? looked to be in good shape... Definitely prop it up on a hoist and check it out underneath.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Congrats on the buy, clean car.

This is your car right??

I would suggest getting it up on a hoist and taking a look at it, and following it up with an allignment to get some numbers. From there you can know what the problem is and take w/e actions needed it fix it.

Btw how was the drive
Old 02-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
scottyp
dungeon master

yes isnt she beautiful funny thing is it had the rear trailing arms and a whack of suspension work done about two months ago. the rear tires look like this / \ from behind though. and i just noticed the left rear side sits waaaay lower then the right. ugh..
Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

dude thats one cleaaaaan e30.... sick color!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
slimjim
Almost Sideways

was the car hit? bent control arm? id suggest worn out bushing maybe? you said the car sits lower on one side? maybe he was hit/ slid into curb and bent the controle arm causing the car to sit to one side?...but thats just me talkin

edit* new trailing arm huh? maybe it was hit and its all bent where the trailing arm connects to body?

p.s dam, that is one nice looking car, how much?

Last edited by slimjim; 02-21-2008 at 10:03 PM.
slimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
scottyp
dungeon master

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51966

That is the original ad, lets just say i got it for a fair price

thanks for the input guys, i took the car to a local bmw mechanic and he's taking a look at it, i thought it was sitting alot lower on one side but turns out my driveway has an invisible dip in it that made one side sit higher, ha. you honestly cant see it unless the car is in it.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #9
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

nice i thought it was calypso red from that pic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: