Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #556
talltorontoguy
Go Topless
 
talltorontoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under my e30
Posts: 799
Jay, Yes I was referring to the 5 bolt. 9" rear wheel is only if I do the 5 lug conversion and use the staggered style 5 wheels from my E34. (5x120, 17"x9" et 26 rear). I will run spacers (15mm or 10mm hubcentric).

If I stick with 4x100, they'll be 17"x8" wheels with spacers dependent upon the offset of the wheel, with the goal to get close to et 20.

In either case I will have rolled fenders.
__________________


Join BMW Club of Canada! Click HERE

Best Engine, Bimmercruise '10 / 2nd - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '10 / 1st - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '12 www.vertnation.com
talltorontoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #557
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,845
Well then the answer is actually no. Nick recommended 10mm spacers for the ET35 wheels, to which I noted that there are no hubcentric 10mm 4x100 spacers available. There ARE hubcentric 10mm 5x120 ones though.

Jay
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #558
J-MoNeY916
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South of ATL
Posts: 2
Hey guys. I was looking to get some wheels for my 87 325is. I plan on getting lowering springs shortly after. Would these wheels stick out too far with a 1.5" drop?

Pattern: 4x100
Size: 15"x8"
ET: +15

What tire size would be best?

Thanks!
J-MoNeY916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #559
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MoNeY916 View Post
Hey guys. I was looking to get some wheels for my 87 325is. I plan on getting lowering springs shortly after. Would these wheels stick out too far with a 1.5" drop?

Pattern: 4x100
Size: 15"x8"
ET: +15

What tire size would be best?

Thanks!
Sportmax's, huh?

The car needs to be very low for those to look right, 1.5" won't be enough. IE Stage III / H&R Race springs at a minimum.

Once you got that, 205/50/15 is about perfect.

Jay
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #560
talltorontoguy
Go Topless
 
talltorontoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under my e30
Posts: 799
Quote:
Well then the answer is actually no. Nick recommended 10mm spacers for the ET35 wheels, to which I noted that there are no hubcentric 10mm 4x100 spacers available. There ARE hubcentric 10mm 5x120 ones though.
Ok, so just make absolutely sure I'm correct...

- Roll fenders to maximum
- Style 5's 5x120 et 20/et26 = no spacer, must run 215's (235's will not work even at rear)
- 4x100 et 35 = hubcentric 15mm spacers (or 10mm if I can find them), run 215's all around

Beating a dead horse, but want to be sure
__________________


Join BMW Club of Canada! Click HERE

Best Engine, Bimmercruise '10 / 2nd - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '10 / 1st - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '11 / 1st - e30 Wild, Bimmercruise '12 www.vertnation.com

Last edited by talltorontoguy; 02-04-2008 at 01:37 PM.
talltorontoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:09 AM   #561
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltorontoguy View Post
Ok, so just make absolutely sure I'm correct...

- Roll fenders to maximum
- Style 5's 5x120 et 20/et26 = no spacer, must run 215's (235's will not work even at rear)
- 4x100 et 35 = hubcentric 15mm spacers (or 10mm if I can find them), run 215's all around

Beating a dead horse, but want to be sure
All correct.

Jay
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:38 AM   #562
J-MoNeY916
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South of ATL
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Sportmax's, huh?

The car needs to be very low for those to look right, 1.5" won't be enough. IE Stage III / H&R Race springs at a minimum.

Once you got that, 205/50/15 is about perfect.

Jay
Thanks a bunch man.
J-MoNeY916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #563
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig
 
e30_kid89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: TDot West End
Posts: 4,598
Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Its a shame you're down south man, Im going to be selling some IE Stg III springs like Mystical stated, will help you pull off the look you're looking for with the sportmaxx's
__________________
e30_kid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #564
hadesm5
6th Gear Member
 
hadesm5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,798
I'm thinking of buying a new set of wheels for my e30 (87 325is). I'm gonna go for deep dish and stretch tires. I have been looking at three options:
1. Borbet Type A's
Really expensive so only if I could find a good deal used
2. Borbet Type T's
Also expensive
3. Sportmax (Now XXR) 962's
Cheap option, so can buy new

So now my question is fitment. I dont know what would look best in terms of width and wheel size for stretch tires. I was thinking 17 or 16, and ofcourse will drop the car.

Current Options:
A.
I found a used set of Borbet Type T's, except they're staggered.
16x7.5
17x7.5
et35
Do they need any sort of spacers?
What would be a good size tire to mount for stretch, Front:? Back:?

Option B. I buy a new set of sportmax 962's, and I have various sizes to choose from:
http://www.imageinmotion.com/xxr962wheelsrims.php
__________________
hadesm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #565
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadesm5 View Post
I'm thinking of buying a new set of wheels for my e30 (87 325is). I'm gonna go for deep dish and stretch tires. I have been looking at three options:
1. Borbet Type A's
Really expensive so only if I could find a good deal used
2. Borbet Type T's
Also expensive
3. Sportmax (Now XXR) 962's
Cheap option, so can buy new

So now my question is fitment. I dont know what would look best in terms of width and wheel size for stretch tires. I was thinking 17 or 16, and ofcourse will drop the car.

Current Options:
A.
I found a used set of Borbet Type T's, except they're staggered.
16x7.5
17x7.5
et35
Do they need any sort of spacers?
What would be a good size tire to mount for stretch, Front:? Back:?

Option B. I buy a new set of sportmax 962's, and I have various sizes to choose from:
http://www.imageinmotion.com/xxr962wheelsrims.php
The Borbet Type T's will need 15mm spacers just to clear everything properly. If you're looking for a more Euro stretched look, you're going to have to space them out a lot and run tiny tires. Like 25mm spacers and 195/205 tires. It still honestly won't look very good. Those would look nice with just the 15mm spacers front/rear and 215 tires, but definitely not "Euro". 215/45/16 front and 215/40/17 rear would be the key there.

As for 962's, I've always liked those wheels. I just wish they didn't have the ugly multilug look (then again that's the only reason they exist, they're really made for the 4x114 240sx drift crowd). If you want those with a nice stretched look in the back, run the following:

17x7 ET35 front, 20mm spacers, 205/40/17 tires.
17x9 ET35 rear, 15mm spacers, 215/40/17 tires.

That will look pretty badass.

Jay
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #566
hadesm5
6th Gear Member
 
hadesm5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,798
hmm.. yeah i like the look of the 962's as well, so i think i'm gonna stick to that.
according to the website 17x7 is only available in et40... but i'll double check on that.

i want very noticable stretch... but nothing too extreme. the tire sizes you recommended, would they give a stretch in the front as well? whats the most i can go.

thanks for the help
__________________
hadesm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #567
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadesm5 View Post
hmm.. yeah i like the look of the 962's as well, so i think i'm gonna stick to that.
according to the website 17x7 is only available in et40... but i'll double check on that.

i want very noticable stretch... but nothing too extreme. the tire sizes you recommended, would they give a stretch in the front as well? whats the most i can go.

thanks for the help
My bad, I misread that site. It's laid out pretty poorly, but then again I'm just making excuses cause I'm blind.

If you're really into the stretch, I'd suggest going 17x9 ET35 with 20mm spacers all around, and 205/40/17 tires. It will look pretty damn hot, and shouldn't rub. I suggest this instead of the 17x7s because there aren't any narrower-than-205 17" tires on the NA market, so you wouldn't have any front stretch.

Honestly, please do this. Show people what good looking Sportmax wheels look like.

Jay
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #568
hadesm5
6th Gear Member
 
hadesm5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,798
i want to so badly... but it might take me a while... its gonna be costly too
Wheels brand new (around $700 unless i find something better at pacific mall or something)
Tires...i will put used ones on at first to save: ~$200
Spacers: ~$200
16 bolts: ~50-60
So around $1200!!!! so if i get lucky and find used ones i will definately go for it. devon's konigs are sold... so i'm gonna see if i can find a good deal. to the 240sx forums!!

as for the lack of center caps... maybe i can fab up something at work
__________________

Last edited by hadesm5; 02-16-2008 at 04:02 PM.
hadesm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #569
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,431
16x8 et15 (you know what wheel)

What size tires?
205/50r16?

Which tires?
Falken FK-452? FK-451? 912s? or?
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #570
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 12,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
16x8 et15 (you know what wheel)

What size tires?
205/50r16?

Which tires?
Falken FK-452? FK-451? 912s? or?
It'll probably rub without going undersized. 205/45/16 would be the best bet.

PTM has 912's in that size for $87/ea. I don't think anywhere can beat their 912 pricing right now, I've tried.

Jay
__________________

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014