Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > X series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
daytona
6th Gear Member

2004 X5 4.4....is this a reliable SUV?

going to pick up a 2004 X5 later this year.Prices are very reasonable now for this year model.Test drove a 2005 model and 2004 one and didnt notice any difference and handling is comparable.The only worries is reliability,from all the reviews I read its very good in that department.Want to see first hand owners opinions.Is there anything I should take a close look at when buying a 2004 model,is there certain areas of the car I should inspect closely,is there certain problematic areas in the 2004 model?.Insurance wise its cheaper for me to insure this car rather than my 2003 Acura TL..thats a bonus factor there
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

No, it's not reliable at all according to surveys. There will be lots of owners/fan boys posting after me that will try to convince you that it is bulletproof, but it is far from it. As an Acura owner, buy something good like an MDX.

Jay

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Our X5 has always been reliable and a great vehicle........... until the motor stopped ............. dead............. because it was cold outside. Mind you, we have a 3.0i.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
daytona
6th Gear Member

hmm avoid the 3.0?

stop dead..you mean wouldnt start or the motor was toast?.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Oyster
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Oyster
5, 7 series and possibly x5 might have wheel sensor/ABS module electric issues.

Go read on other boards.

Mind you that you are going for the bigger engine and that V8 do generate more heat (i.e.: more wear and tear in engine bay: DSC, ABS module tends to have issues to heat, radiator neck and hoses).
Old 02-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
daytona
6th Gear Member

Yes I decided...2005 X5 3.0..talked to my mechanic,talk to people who I know works at a few BMW dealership,the 2005 3.0 seems to be a very very reliable truck.Less problematic than the bigger brothers.I little disconcerning is the electrical aspect of all X5 in general but as previous mentioned the 3.0 seems to be less in the shop for repairs than the 4.4...I found my next SUV.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Good choice. Here's Consumer Reports' take on the X5.

Jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X5 Reliability.jpg (119.1 KB, 266 views)

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
daytona
6th Gear Member

thanks Jay I seen that report also..the main thing is my mechanic is a very close friend of my..he fixes everything...from expensive imports to domestics..he told me it was a excellent truck..I trust him %100..never gave me any bad advise in the past.Is there a different level of trim on the 3.0?...I was told to avoid the "self levelling" suspension..what ever that is.Its problematic in higher KM X5 was told...I was about to consider a VW one but I heard the braking system is similar to the Porsche's and it cost big bucks for replacement..and its not that reliable.So thats it....2004-2005 3.0...black color of course with big bad arsh 22"...cant wait...insurance is pretty cheap also...$1750 a year..crash rating was very good and claims were low I was told...bonus..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: