Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
m3guy
1st Gear Newbie

PLEASE HELP!!! In NEED OF HELP

Ok so here is the situation hopefully u guys can shed some light,
the car is 92 318i with m42 engine

I went for my first e test last sat- failed bad Co% was 7.32 max is .036 I replaced the O2 sensor and brought me down to 1.37 still very high meaning running rich still right? What I have done is replaced plugs fuel filter and o2 sensor,I even tryed the menthol hydrate trick it brought my reading down abit on my hc suppose yto read I think 64 was 84 still not enough,Left the test place and threw another code for MAF...Im like wtf,Went to the scrap yard today picked one up from a 93 318is 1.8 code is still present but runs even worse smells very rich idle bounces all over the board at a light and almost stalls,Could this be a bad MAF too? Im stumped any help is greatly appreciated thank in advance.
m3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
mirek
6th Gear Member

you can pull the boot off the maf plug and using a multimeter check to see if it's sending a reading.
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
m3guy
1st Gear Newbie

hey

So If I check resistance and its sending,the maf is bad.....My other one threw a code but didn't affect really the way it drove sometimes jsut stall once this one is crazy and u can smell it running rich and its bucking thanks in advance bro
Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
mirek
6th Gear Member

Well you check, and if it's not sending it's definately bad. The bentley manual will tell you what is at spec, and if it's sending within spec it's good.

Clean your old one, and put it back, the new one obviously sounds like it's bad.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
m3guy
1st Gear Newbie

would a bad maf give me a bad reading on the etest,My co% is still stupidly high..and Hc is still up there I think limit is 67 Im at 110,My CO is at 1.67 its suppose to be 0.37
Old 02-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
mirek
6th Gear Member

Have a shop do a sniff test before and after your cat.

A bad MAF can give you a bad emissions reading.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

whatever you do

DO NOT MEASSURE RESISTANCE ON A OPERATING CIRCUIT.

the only thing you can measure on operating circuit is voltage

quick breakdown.

Resistance measuring - works by sending a small voltage and measuring the amperage inside the voltmeter.

Voltage measuring - works by measuring the amperage the voltage on the measuring tips causes inside the voltmeter

Amperage measuring - sets internal resistance to next to and needs to be done in line with the circuit you want to meassure.

now, nr 1 is bad because you run extra voltage onto a circuit already at operating voltage, or you reverse the poles etc. you stand a good chance of frying fragile components. nr 3 across two pins of a circuit is just going to be a short really.

measure the voltage against the body (ground) and then go pin to pin and see if there is any signals i.e. 5v, 12v etc. i would guess the frequency of the signal is going to be too high to pick up with a voltmeter to see the signal pattern, so you are most likely looking for a steady voltage reading, if it bounces around you got nothing.

good luck
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
m3guy
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks man very useful,So If I do have consistant voltage coming from the plug it's good if nothing then electrical problems it looks like,Im going to head back to the wreckin yard tommorrow and get my old air flow sensor back,
Old 02-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #9
Shoes R
Shoes R

just be cheaper to get a fake one
Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
m3guy
1st Gear Newbie

ummm

Cheaper to get a fake MAF? where and how? mega squirt I cannot afford right now- Are their ways of moding the maf?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Mickey Knox
3rd Gear Member

well, i dont know what the signals from the maf should look like, and i dont know where you could find out which signal should be where. but if you get no signal on any pin chances are something is wrong with it. this wont be dead on, more an approximation to find out what part is actually causing the problem.
Mickey Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
Blades
Your opinion is to long

retard the timing and go test it again .. you will pass with flying colors. Or get some performance cams and never worry about it again

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #13
SeRb
Don't shrink me Gypsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3guy View Post
Cheaper to get a fake MAF? where and how? mega squirt I cannot afford right now- Are their ways of moding the maf?

he means a fake e-test

you pay the money and u pass no matter what
SeRb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeRb View Post
he means a fake e-test

you pay the money and u pass no matter what
Wouldn't you still want your car to run properly though?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
m3guy
1st Gear Newbie

hey all

hey all friends...I have bad delema here,i went and got my old MAF back,pluged It all in reset the computer
and Im getting the same problem the idle is all over the place with the check engine light going on and off you can smell how rich it is still with a 1215 code for maf?? Im stumped the other one worked good b4 I put that shit one in now it runs the same as the old one get it? lol Any help please,is their like an inline fuse or relay?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: