Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #16
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO View Post
unfricking believable. these automakers are like a cartel.

they are essentially doing the same thing as MB Canada. They control what gets into the country. How TC is allowing this is beyond me. The worst part is some Toyota/Hondas built right here in Ontario are not even on the RIV list for admissibility.

screw the entire new car dealer network - i'm going used from now on. none of them deserve my business.

and the best part, a BMW dealership called me the other day saying now is the best time to buy from them. scammers!
^well said my friend, well said.

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #17
maxima_'90
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to maxima_'90
Quote:
Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
You need a letter from the US BMW Dealer stating there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle. You can then proceed with the import as long as it's not on the ban list. You cannot license the vehicle until it has been brought to canadian standards (DRL's, front bumper reinforcements and immobilizer are the more common differences in Canadian / US vehicle requirements).
Wrong, you cannot bring the vehicle into Canada untill you have the recall leter, and the letter of admissibility from BMW Canada. And you don't have to physically have the car in Canada to get the letter, just the title.

Another thing that just came into effect yesterday, the U.S. export office is no longer accepting faxes of the titles to be cleared for export. You must bring the orriginal when you are exporting the vehicle, I believe they take a photocopy, then return with the vehicle in 72 hours to get your title stamped. This isn't just for BMW's though.
maxima_'90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #18
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

There is also the bigger issue of residual value on current car lease. If the automakers/dealers adjusted their prices to match the US - can you imagine returning a car after a 3 year lease and it's still more expensive than buying brand new. This would mean they'd have to readjust the residual on lease contracts as well.

This can happen for some cars where they don't depreciate much and the spread between the US price and Canada is large.

The reality is the best the car manufacturers/dealers can do is offer cash incentives and hope the dollar doesn't stay at this level forever. The flip side of course is can some of the foreign automakers continue to sustain the low car prices in the US with the US currency so low? It's really not the CDN dollar rising...but that the US dollar dropped. Can BMW/Audi/MB continue to sell their cars for so cheap in the US when the Euro is pounding the US dollar? Aside from the few cars made in NA - the value of producing the cars overseas has gone up essentially and to sell them in the US at a lower price will hit their profit.

Either way it's a big headache for us the consumer and for the automakers/dealers. But as a consumer I'm walking with my wallet for now till I see more cash incentives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmer View Post
If BMW (and other canadian) dealers opened their eyes and adjusted their prices accordingly, many of us wouldn't even consider importing from the US. We'll always have the option to buy other brands though.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #19
stiffy
You puked ON Dean Wormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxima_'90 View Post
Wrong, you cannot bring the vehicle into Canada untill you have the recall leter, and the letter of admissibility from BMW Canada. And you don't have to physically have the car in Canada to get the letter, just the title.

Another thing that just came into effect yesterday, the U.S. export office is no longer accepting faxes of the titles to be cleared for export. You must bring the orriginal when you are exporting the vehicle, I believe they take a photocopy, then return with the vehicle in 72 hours to get your title stamped. This isn't just for BMW's though.
Where did you find out about the US Customs policy change? I've got a friend importing a car this week from the US so this could affect him.

I imported an '02 MB SL500 last month and was able to complete the whole process in 12 calendar days after getting the car across the border. Between the gov't and the car manufacturers it is becoming increasing difficult to import a BMW or Mercedes into Cda. They're only hurting themselves really - they'll lose out on the service work they could have gotten and the goodwill of more BMW's on the road. Shame, really.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #20
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:

I thought you could also fedex the original to the border crossing 72 hrs in advance too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffy View Post
Where did you find out about the US Customs policy change? I've got a friend importing a car this week from the US so this could affect him.

I imported an '02 MB SL500 last month and was able to complete the whole process in 12 calendar days after getting the car across the border. Between the gov't and the car manufacturers it is becoming increasing difficult to import a BMW or Mercedes into Cda. They're only hurting themselves really - they'll lose out on the service work they could have gotten and the goodwill of more BMW's on the road. Shame, really.
He works for the CBSA.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #21
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

Send a message via MSN to INFAMOU$
Quote:

All U.S. custom export offices are different to my knowledge.. 6 years ago the Bridge crossing in Detroit only accepted ORIGINALS.. they later started taking faxes.. but yea.. This wouldn't surprise me if they implemented this.. Anything to keep us from bringing cars over.. Canada better watch out or soon no one will be "proudly Canadian"
INFAMOU$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #22
maxima_'90
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to maxima_'90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
I thought you could also fedex the original to the border crossing 72 hrs in advance too.
Not 100% on that, we were only told that they wouldn't be taking faxes any more.
maxima_'90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #23
freewheel
1st Gear Newbie

You do not need the recall clearance letter at the boarder crossing. You will need it to get your RIV form 2, which is your inspection form.

As for the letter of admissibility I have heard that Canada Customs have not been asking for it, thaough I don't know if BMW Canada will give a recall clearance letter without it.

Check here for others experiences:

http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=500022243

Interesting stuff, glad I imported my Z4 in October.
freewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #24
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheel View Post
You do not need the recall clearance letter at the boarder crossing. You will need it to get your RIV form 2, which is your inspection form.

As for the letter of admissibility I have heard that Canada Customs have not been asking for it, thaough I don't know if BMW Canada will give a recall clearance letter without it.

Check here for others experiences:

http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=500022243

Interesting stuff, glad I imported my Z4 in October.
Might want to check the dates on the link you posted! They are all back in the summer/fall.. This is a new law.. Just like the stupid IMMOBILIZER thing.. YES YOU DO NEED THE ADMISSIBILITY letter! And FORM 2 has nothing to do with customs.. that is for inspection/registration purposes only.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #25
Mikey83
3rd Gear Member

INFAMOU$ : that aint an old thread at all, skip forward to pg8.
I'm in there and I just imported a 2003 745Li with no addmissabley or whatever paper this past week. The import office even told me they didnt need it. They even stated when I asked about the immoblizer issue of cars made after sept.1 that they were still allowing them in. He said its up the RIV/transport Canada to deal with allowing the cars on the road or not, we just want to get the GST and duty here at the border.
Mikey83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #26
freewheel
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey83 View Post
INFAMOU$ : that aint an old thread at all, skip forward to pg8.
I'm in there and I just imported a 2003 745Li with no addmissabley or whatever paper this past week. The import office even told me they didnt need it. They even stated when I asked about the immoblizer issue of cars made after sept.1 that they were still allowing them in. He said its up the RIV/transport Canada to deal with allowing the cars on the road or not, we just want to get the GST and duty here at the border.
Thanks Mikey.
freewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #27
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

My bad.. good to know.. I guess it makes sense.. they can't govern what's not part of their process.. money grabs left right and center.. unbelievable..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: