Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #31
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
See, that's alright though. If they know they have a back log and are at least scheduling their work. That's better then saying, oh yeah we can take you today, and then have your car sit there for 3 weeks.
true... was just saying even the smaller shops are getting fcrazy busy.

should open 1

Quote:
That's inexcusable...they won't be reputable for very long if they do stuff like that. 2weeks for a 1-2hr job, something's not right there.
in their defence or 'more back story' they took brembo blanks & sent them to a machine shop next door for slotting..
the inexcusable part was them even taking the car before the rotors were ready. work was 100% though

and wasn't as bad as that guy with my 318 in kingston, had it for 60+ days did nothing

Quote:
As expensive as either Rudy or the dealer is, when they make an appointment, you know they aren't taking more work than they can handle, and you'll have your car back same day. A good shop knows how long a job takes and will schedule all their appointments accordingly. I'd be a much happier customer if they told me I couldn't get an appointment for 2 weeks, but when I had my appointment my car was back to me on the same day, rather then a mech taking too many jobs all at once and having my car sit there for weeks.

With Rudy, I've only ever gone to him for major work, and he always gets the car back to me same day, and more often then not, before noon. He might be expensive, but he knows his shit, and Terry knows how to schedule appointments.
I find a key thing with alot of 'good' shops is the scheduling ...which has nothing to do with the mechs

Like terry...she is the Bomb! would duss be duss without her uber reception/ scheduling skillz?

can be the best mech in the world but if you gotta answer your phone every minute or 30 seconds
Old 12-13-2007, 12:57 AM   #32
Manimillion
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
I drive a '97 540I6, Dark Oxford Green on green leather (hence the Hulk thing for my avatar). On hundred and seventy-five thousand kms on the clock.

Why? Wanna buy it?

I live near Greenbank and Fallowfield.
I would love to, but I am running out of space at my relatives houses/garages to put my cars lol...

I'll look out for you around for sure, I live in Barhaven as well, around Woodroffe and Prince of Whales.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:57 AM   #33
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Hey Mani, I just checked out your website. Some nice work!

One car in particular looked familiar to me.....

I believe that we have met in the past when my regular ride was a 98 SVT Cobntour (which I still own by the way.) How's Nima doing?
Philboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #34
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Hey thanks for the offer, and I'll take you up on it! How does this work? I was just going to switch back to a paper filter and clean the MAF, but if I can get better infor, I'll take it.
Not a problem. It's just a simple OBD2 logger that can log all kinds of data. Just plugs into any laptop through the serial port, and records engine data like RPM, Speed, engine load, throttle position, O2 sensors, long and short fuel trim, coolant temp, MAF readings, engine misfires, ignition advance, etc etc. It's a pretty long list of stuff it records. If you have a Laptop you can use that, or we can use mine and plug it in. Just let me know.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #35
Jamil20
3rd Gear Member

What kind of adapter do you use to interface with the car? Is it an 'IBus' interface?

Is the software called 'Carsoft' too? I've heard something to this effect in passing before, but slightly intrigued now that you mention it.
Jamil20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #36
chromius
6th Gear Member

The interface to the car is just a standard J1962 ODB2 connector that plugs into the plug under the driver's side dash. The interface itself is just a ELM32 based device, that I use some open source software with.

The Carsoft stuff is probably better software but it won't use and ELM32 device, it has to use it's own proprietary interface, which is pretty expensive compared to the ELM stuff.

At some point I'd like to pick up the autoenginuity interface, which connects directly to the Can-bus, and can read all the BMW specific stuff like ABS/DSC codes, Airbag stuff, Body control modules, etc etc. But it's like $300+ so I'm gonna wait on that until I actually need it.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #37
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Not a problem. It's just a simple OBD2 logger that can log all kinds of data. Just plugs into any laptop through the serial port, and records engine data like RPM, Speed, engine load, throttle position, O2 sensors, long and short fuel trim, coolant temp, MAF readings, engine misfires, ignition advance, etc etc. It's a pretty long list of stuff it records. If you have a Laptop you can use that, or we can use mine and plug it in. Just let me know.

Thanks for the opportunity. What part of town are you in? I need to do some Christmas shopping this weekend, so maybe we can make it part of that trip.

By the way, wrt to codes 1174 and 1175, I found this TSB online:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl648h.htm
Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #38
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Thanks for the opportunity. What part of town are you in? I need to do some Christmas shopping this weekend, so maybe we can make it part of that trip.

By the way, wrt to codes 1174 and 1175, I found this TSB online:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl648h.htm
I live downtown, but I do all my car work out in Manotick. Those P codes could be a number of things, including air leaks, O2 sensors, or the MAF. But what I've found is that because it's affecting both banks of the engine, it would stand to reason that it's something common to both sides, which narrows it down to either the MAF, or a common vacume leak (CCV, or hose). A gasket leak will usually have a "hissing" noise associated with it at idle, and will affect LTFT at idle more so then off idle. With mine I knew it was my MAF, because after I got those codes, I cleaned the MAF and compared readings. The CEL didn't come back, and the LTFT readings got better. They still wern't perfect though because it was still getting a LTFT of 16%. A new MAF is only $150 so I just decided to replace it anyway, and it brought my LTFT down to a near perfect 0.7%.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #39
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
I live downtown, but I do all my car work out in Manotick. Those P codes could be a number of things, including air leaks, O2 sensors, or the MAF. But what I've found is that because it's affecting both banks of the engine, it would stand to reason that it's something common to both sides, which narrows it down to either the MAF, or a common vacume leak (CCV, or hose). A gasket leak will usually have a "hissing" noise associated with it at idle, and will affect LTFT at idle more so then off idle. With mine I knew it was my MAF, because after I got those codes, I cleaned the MAF and compared readings. The CEL didn't come back, and the LTFT readings got better. They still wern't perfect though because it was still getting a LTFT of 16%. A new MAF is only $150 so I just decided to replace it anyway, and it brought my LTFT down to a near perfect 0.7%.
OK, what is LTFT? Light throttle fuel trim? Just let me know when you want to do this, and I will meet you with MAF cleaner in hand.

As a side note wrt the link I posted, I changed one of the plugs at the end of a vacuum tee at the front of the engine and the idle improved immediately.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #40
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
OK, what is LTFT? Light throttle fuel trim? Just let me know when you want to do this, and I will meet you with MAF cleaner in hand.

As a side note wrt the link I posted, I changed one of the plugs at the end of a vacuum tee at the front of the engine and the idle improved immediately.
Long term fuel trim.

If your idle got better with a vacuum fitting replacement, then in your case, maybe it is a vacuum leak. But getting these readings might help narrow it down.

Sunday Afternoon would probably be alright for me, if that works for you. Let me know and we can figure out a meeting spot. Maybe a Tim hortons so that coffee can be consumed
Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #41
Jamil20
3rd Gear Member

Adam, man. If you keep putting so much caffeine in to you, eventually you'll turn into Tony.

And I didn't know there was a plug under the driver's side dash. Now I want to go look.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #42
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamil20 View Post
Adam, man. If you keep putting so much caffeine in to you, eventually you'll turn into Tony.

And I didn't know there was a plug under the driver's side dash. Now I want to go look.
LOL, I don't think I could handle the amount of caffene Tony drinks. I think Monster is like the equivalent of 20 coffee's

The Plug under the Dash is on all 96 and newer cars. Should be under a little access panel that reads OBD on it.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #43
Philboski
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Long term fuel trim.

If your idle got better with a vacuum fitting replacement, then in your case, maybe it is a vacuum leak. But getting these readings might help narrow it down.

Sunday Afternoon would probably be alright for me, if that works for you. Let me know and we can figure out a meeting spot. Maybe a Tim hortons so that coffee can be consumed

I can make sunday afternoon work I think. What location works best for you? I am certainly good for meeting at a Tim's.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #44
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamil20 View Post

yes they'll both then have 'Obscene amounts of energy'

typing this as i drink coffee..

*adam let me know when you need those 'extractor bits' back
Old 12-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #45
Jamil20
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
yes they'll both then have 'Obscene amounts of energy'

typing this as i drink coffee..

*adam let me know when you need those 'extractor bits' back
Haha. I get the reference.

"Mother nature will be like sloooooooow doooooown".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: