Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 6/8 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #16
E31
1st Gear Newbie

I have owned three 850's and i dont know why everyone is scared of them.

I would never buy an 840 - Nikasil issues and you don't get to watch people's faces when you tell them its a V12. (yes I know the 840 has nominally weight distribution).

If you are expecting the running costs to be in the 3 series range look elsewhere. If you are comparing it to a comparable v12 exotic it's a bargain.
The only really expensive part of ownership is the Inspection 2 , mainly because it requires changing the plugs, wires ($600 or so for each bank from the dealer), cap and rotor (one for each bank).

Gas is also a killer, It is easily the worst car I have ever owned for gas mileage. it will give you almost 30MPG when you are set on cruise control on the highway...down hill with the wind blowing favorably. City driving with any sort of enthusiasm will see you in 9-12mpg range.

The M70 engine is pretty much bullet proof. Just make sure that the car has the updated rad cap - or else there may be headgasket issues.

Auto Transmissions can start to let go around 160k (damn BMW lifetime fluid), but there are plenty of low mileage cars around that you dont have to waste your time with a high km car.

Like someone else mentioned do not try and buy one that hasn't lived a pampered life. Buying a neglected one can cost more than the inital purchase price to put right.

Don't buy an auto and try and swap to a 6speed unless you have acess to lots of cheap rare parts and lots of mechanical skill/know somebody who has lots of mechanical skill that will work for next to free. Much easier and cheaper to just buy a 6 speed.

The biggest problem with them is that i'm pretty sure they are cursed.
Everytime i get a new one something always comes up that makes me need to sell them.
This time it seems to be the itch to buy a 911 before I turn 30.
E31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #17
NateoriouS
Nateorious C.A.G

^^^ i'm soooo jealous of you..!

'88 E30 325i sold
'88 E30 325i 2.7 stroker sold
'95 E36 318i sold
'94 E36 325ic Cabriolet sold
'87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II sold
'96 E36 328i Cabriolet - sold
'92 Mazda Miata Black Nardi Edition sold
'98 E36 M3 Cabriolet -

"Float like a Cadillac, Sting like a BEAMER" ... ... Lightning McQueen
NateoriouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:40 AM   #18
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
but dont newer 840s have 4.4l engine? Like 1995-1997 year.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #19
racing_trend
6th gear driver

my boss has a 850 V12 auto we have it here at my location actualy raul if u u wanted to come by and check it out, as far as maintenence goes ive been servicing this car for the past year or so since ive worked here. u have to find a vehicle thats been well taken care of or else you will see problems down the line like previously stated the autotranny in this car has already been replaced due to failures, full schnizter kit rims remus exhaust the works im not sure if hes selling it but he has another 850 for sale a V8 5spd model with 90,000km original and its charcoal with a ac schnizter kit and rims im not 100% on the price hes asking but call my cell and i can arrange a viewing for you if u like

416-878-5596
marcello

thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: