Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Photography
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

1st Camera?

Looking to get my gf a camera for christmas. She is getting into photography but has a shit camera and the quality of the pics is driving me crazy. I am a complete camera newb so I was wondering which ones you guys suggested. Looking for something under $800 if that is even possible for a decent camera. Thanks
oldskool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
kerisabe
Capturing the Impossible

bother to try the Nikon D40x or even a D80? She'd be happy with the quality imho.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
BigD
the misanthropist

Wait until boxing day, or maybe before then they will probably have the Canon Rebel XT 18-55 kit on sale. A few weeks ago they had it for like 550 bucks. It's a terrific camera to get started with. They currently have the XTi kit for 869, and it's worth the $ if you can afford it. But photo quality wise, you're not really gaining jack.

I'm a Canon fanboy (had an SD500, 20D, now have SD600, 30D and one of their little camcorders) but the Nikons are probably fine. They use CCD sensors which are inferior technology (the point and shoot compacts use these) but whatever, they work.

Last edited by BigD; 11-21-2007 at 03:36 PM.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:00 AM   #4
kerisabe
Capturing the Impossible

I love Canon myself, but id rather buy an entry level Nikon Dslr than a Canon one since Nikon really stepped up their game in the entry level Dslr market.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

both Canon/Nikon will produce great pictures. Nikon has really raised the bar with their new Full Frame CMOS sensor, however its only equipped the pro model for now, but just a sign of great things to come.. but like kerisabe mentioned, Nikons entry level dSLR is very impressive. designed specifically to compete with the Rebels. it all comes down to preference, and which camera body feels better when u operate it. imho, i find the nikon dslr build quality better than Canons. to me it just feels tighter and more solid. but thats just me... good luck!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gates View Post
imho, i find the nikon dslr build quality better than Canons. to me it just feels tighter and more solid. but thats just me... good luck!
Maybe better than the Rebel which has a plastic body. My 30D feels like a friggin tank (magnesium body).
Old 11-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
Gamite

I dont' like the D40, it's still quite expensive and it's pretty low on features. The next one up is D40x, which is a lot better, but is almost as expensive as the D80.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
shimajer
loudddddd

good thread, i am looking for a new camera too
shimajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Thanks a lot for the suggestion guys I will look into a couple of them and see for pricing. My pops has a canon rebel and he is very happy with it so canon would probably be my first choice and seems like everyone elses to.

Another question: can I buy off ebay or should I buy in store for warranty reasons or are cameras usually pretty safe

Anyways thanks again
oldskool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
BigD
the misanthropist

You should get your ass across the border tonight and scout a hot black friday deal, I doubt ebay can beat what you would find there right now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: