Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #31
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Sorry, I thought engaging meshing was the same thing....but either way engage a gear should need some Synchronizing .
Right. So going back to where we started, the engine speed has nothing to do with the synchronization process, because what you need to syncronize is the input shaft with the output shaft so the dogs can engage, which is what those little cone clutches do. When the engine comes into play, everything in the gearbox is synchronized and engaged, from here your revmatching skills or lack thereof will only affect the clutch.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #32
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Right. So going back to where we started, the engine speed has nothing to do with the synchronization process, because what you need to syncronize is the input shaft with the output shaft so the dogs can engage, which is what those little cone clutches do. When the engine comes into play, everything in the gearbox is synchronized and engaged, from here your revmatching skills or lack thereof will only affect the clutch.
Make sense, I was thinking of something else when you said the gears always being mesh, and not needing synchronizing.

The discrepancy was what needed to be synchronized, not weather it took place.

I was arging it needed to take place, not which gears it took place on.

Last edited by T.Dot_E30; 10-01-2007 at 01:24 PM.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #33
Fel
Not Banned

Interesting read, I've learned a lot

Just a question... funny enough, I was thinking of this this morning. Someone told me a few years ago that they can change gears without using the clutch. I was under the impression that this wasn't possible.

Could someone explain the mechanics of shifting without the clutch? How the hell does that work? Isn't the gear "locked in" until you use the clutch pedal? I'll say I've never done it (and probably won't in fear of leaving my transmission in pieces somewhere on the road behind me), but how...? I'm confused....
Old 10-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #34
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post

Just a question... funny enough, I was thinking of this this morning. Someone told me a few years ago that they can change gears without using the clutch. I was under the impression that this wasn't possible.

Could someone explain the mechanics of shifting without the clutch? How the hell does that work? Isn't the gear "locked in" until you use the clutch pedal? I'll say I've never done it (and probably won't in fear of leaving my transmission in pieces somewhere on the road behind me), but how...? I'm confused....

I used to do it in my old truck. And then the transmission blew.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #35
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post

There are a lot of very good technical articles about how manual transmissions work, come back with something a little more specific and less time consuming to answer... (yes I know I clearly have a lot of it to spare at the moment but I'm also very lazy )
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: