Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #46
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
Arrow Did you see this one...

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ22299658

It's an '01 w/ high KM.
DINAN 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:52 PM   #47
porksoda
2nd Gear Member

heh thanx.

looking for something below or between 60-80k

I drove a tiptronic and it was not bad at all.. i think if i dont find a car in that specs i may end up with a tiptronic.
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #48
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
Thumbs up Tiptronic

I have a tip and funny thing.....I was thinking to myself today that...I can't shift as fast as this tip is doing it for me. Keep in mind that I've been driving stick for 20 yrs w/ a few driving courses under my belt.
It was a humbling feeling to have come to that realization.
DINAN 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #49
porksoda
2nd Gear Member

heh i drove a dsg lambo just a few months ago.. and i thought that exact same thing... by the time i was done releasing the pedal it was shifted already.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:42 AM   #50
speedemn
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN 3 View Post
I have a tip and funny thing.....I was thinking to myself today that...I can't shift as fast as this tip is doing it for me. Keep in mind that I've been driving stick for 20 yrs w/ a few driving courses under my belt.
It was a humbling feeling to have come to that realization.
Isn't a tiptronic mechanically an automatic transmission - i.e. torque converter? The manual is more than just about shift speed... the drivetrain loss through a manual is theoretically less than an auto which is what makes it put more power to the wheels.

That being said, some of the fastest drag cars out there are functionally and mechanically autos... so they do have their advantages, but more so at the point where a few more percent drivetrain loss is not as big a deal even though the difference is larger... but makes drivability easier (for example, 550hp vs 525hp)
speedemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #51
porksoda
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemn View Post
Isn't a tiptronic mechanically an automatic transmission - i.e. torque converter? The manual is more than just about shift speed... the drivetrain loss through a manual is theoretically less than an auto which is what makes it put more power to the wheels.

That being said, some of the fastest drag cars out there are functionally and mechanically autos... so they do have their advantages, but more so at the point where a few more percent drivetrain loss is not as big a deal even though the difference is larger... but makes drivability easier (for example, 550hp vs 525hp)
yes but the ratios are different on these tips.. as they have a DS mode where the shifting is a bit more aggressive. These autos/tips do have torque converters.... but i drove both side by side and honestly the tiptronic is not bad in ds.

Also if you were to sell a car... trust me i know as i been grinding my teeth selling my manuals for years now... i think ppl will buy the tiptronic quicker than manual... for some reason no one wants to drive a manual!?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: