Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
twotimer
2nd Gear Member

So I think my tranny died...

The car: 2000 323i, auto. After last driving it Friday night (with no problems), I washed the car, let it sit for about 30 mins..turned on the car, in reverse--stalled.

Started again after a long, hard start, tranny light was on beside the gear selector display on the dash (P R N D lcd display).

..with my heart sinking..I put in reverse, no noticeable problems and just let it roll onto the street to park. By this time the engine light is now on so I killed it.

Checked a few things in the bay, ATF seemed to be at an ok level, although it is a little darker than it looks like it should be in comparison to the new bottle of ATF I have. (mind you I know its lifetime fluid and I THINK hasnt been changed and the previous owner likely didnt either). Intake didnt suck in water, it was dry, engine oil is relatively clean..I'm no expert but I have been worried for a while that when the shifts from 1-2 under hard acceleration were bogging lately it could be a problem.

Is this a problem bigger than it seems, although it was able to start back up (albeit still a hard start)? Anyone heard of this problem?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
djeurofest1
3rd Gear Member

ur car stalled so you think ur tranny died??

you prob got some water into an electrical part... once it dries out... it should be fine!
i pressure wash my engine bay weekly... never no issues
BUT well washing the engine bay, i always have the car running... and let it run for about 5-10 min after to let everyhting dry
djeurofest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Losing reverse on the 99 and 00 E46's was a common issue. The tranny died on my 99 323i as well. Good luck, they aren't cheap. When I had mine done, it was around $2800 I think... Go to Charlie, he did mine.

BTW: That was a rebuilt price - new was over $5K.

Deep

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
twotimer
2nd Gear Member

I was thinking it was GOING to die, because lately it's bogging shifting from 1-2 under mid to hard acceleration, and a few times almost stalled on me shifting into reverse.

thanks for responses..

gonna ask around how much work it takes for a manual swap
Old 09-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Losing reverse on the 99 and 00 E46's was a common issue. The tranny died on my 99 323i as well. Good luck, they aren't cheap. When I had mine done, it was around $2800 I think... Go to Charlie, he did mine.

BTW: That was a rebuilt price - new was over $5K.

Deep

What he said..... i had the exact same problem with a 00 323i, and the scariest thing about the whole thing was the repair bill!
Old 09-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
twotimer
2nd Gear Member

turns out..damaged sensor, likely from my friend's puke i had to clean off the seats. j/k..about the sensor, not the puke.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: