Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-01-2007, 02:33 AM   #1
SurferJon
Acceleration Addict

Send a message via AIM to SurferJon
e39 540i Questions

Hey, I've got a few questions about my 540.

1) How do I get rid of the condensation on the inside of the headlight assembly?

2) How do I get rid of the rattle in the trunk area when I turn up my stock stereo system?

3) What are some recommended products to maintain the leather seats, dash and external plastic trim?

Cheers,

Jon
SurferJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
bscarlett
2nd Gear Member

After trying everything on the market for leather, I finally got Leatherique. It is the best for cleaning and restoring leather and they even now have a retailer here in Canada.... http://www.leatheriquecanada.ca

All the pros rave about it on the detailing forums. For the dash, Aerospace 303 includes a UV sunblock so it prevents dash fading and does not produce a shine like most rubber products.

No idea on the rattle...sorry!

2005 X5 Sterling Grey/Truffle Brown, Premium and Cold Weather Package, DICE iPod Kit, Bluetooth, DSP, Comfort seats, Invision DVD Headrests, Valentine V1 hardwired, TomTom GPS
bscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
is the rattle coming from the sub-box located in the trunk? if it is you have to pull down the panel & tighten up the screws that hold the sub-box up, I found 2 loose screws there & the rattle is gone, at first I thought the speaker blew.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
porksoda
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferJon
Hey, I've got a few questions about my 540.

1) How do I get rid of the condensation on the inside of the headlight assembly?

2) How do I get rid of the rattle in the trunk area when I turn up my stock stereo system?

3) What are some recommended products to maintain the leather seats, dash and external plastic trim?

Cheers,

Jon
FOr leather i would recommend zaino products... avail in canada believe it or not at the barber's chair.

For condensation, i am not sure as i dont have my e39 yet... but usually i have seen in cars for two reasons.

- either the headlight seal is not sealed anymore... or
- there should be a hole underneath the assembly thats got blocked... its not a clear hole usually but may have foam there as a barrier for stuff not to be let in.

not 100% though
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #5
Vicman17
1st Gear Newbie

-Looks like the seals of your headlight(s) is letting moisture in. If you want to get rid of it, you need to open up the headlight assembly and clean the inside of the clear lens but make sure you seal the lens back so it does not happen again.

-The rattle could also mean that one or more of the speakers are loose.

-For leather, I've used a good conditioner called UV3 which is available from Leon's (furniture). I've also use a bottle of the BMW leather conditioner courtesy of my salesman. That stuff was decent too.
To clean leather including the shift boot, handbrake boot and steering wheel, I use Zero (Woolite) mixed 1:10 with distilled water on a spray bottle. It cleans the leather deeply (you can see what the rag picks up) and leaves the leather looking like new with a matte finish which I like better than the glossy, shiny look. Works well with the leatherette dash as well and best used with a MF cloth.
BMW AG Sport Package
Vicman17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: