Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
new2bmw
3rd Gear Member

Im so stuck! help!!!

I am changing the timing belt on my 89 325i, was going well till i got here. One bolt left on the lower ting belt cover but cant get to it as it is blocked by the sprockets. I was told i have to remove the crank nut/bolt, which is crazy tight. I put in some pics to show the bolt i cant get to and the crank bolt i have to remove (i think.)
help please! how do i stop it from spinning if there is going to be crazy torque applied to it??

new2bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
BigD
the misanthropist

You don't have to remove the crank bolt. The crank bolt holds a smaller hub to the crank, and the balancer and pulleys are bolted onto that. Get a big rubber mallet or a chunk of wood and a big hammer, and bash the balancer off. It looks like one piece but trust me it's not. After that you have very little room so take your time when wiggling the belt off at the bottom, it'll work.

EDIT: Just to help you with what to look for, this is where it will separate from the crank hub. Also, put something underneath cause it'll pop off suddenly and it could crack the pulley when it hits the floor:

Last edited by BigD; 08-12-2007 at 11:39 PM.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

yes do what BigD said, it will come off and you'll be able to proceed with swapping the timingbelt out.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
new2bmw
3rd Gear Member

incredible

wow, thanks, you even took the time to put the arrow. i mean it, thank you. i shall give her a shot in the morning.
cheers
Larry
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bmw
wow, thanks, you even took the time to put the arrow. i mean it, thank you. i shall give her a shot in the morning.
cheers
Larry
You're welcome man. My confusion was escalated by the fact that I came from an E34 M30/S38s where the balancer IS bolted onto the crank by the big bolt and the Bentley even says to remove the bolt. It's also rusted on there so hard that it takes so much hammering force to pop it off that any doubt you have, convinces you that it won't come off. I was doing the timing belt in my underground parking garage so time was very limited before I got into deep shit with security (this is already after they told me to never work on my car when I changed the clutch in there). I quickly searched for a used balancer on ebay and saw that the center hole is too big to be held by the bolt. So just have faith, and whale on that ****er hard, it'll suddenly just come flying off (I repeat, make sure there's something underneath so it doesn't damage the pulley when hitting the floor... trust me ).

The manual and some mechanics say to remove the crank bolt because the crank hub, while small, makes getting the belt off harder. But it's not difficult or anything. Get it off from all of the top pulleys and gears, then once it's loose, slide it through the gap between the crank hub and the lower cover (or the oil pan or whatever's down there, don't remember anymore), there's just enough room.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
new2bmw
3rd Gear Member

still confused lol

ok, i am really confused,99% of the people are telling me its one peice and to just tap the thing off. the other 1 % is saying its 2 peice and the bolt must be removed. how do i tell, i dont want to waste an afternoon banging on the thing thinking it will pop off and then find out that the bolt needs to be removed. what years had 1 piece and what had 2 piece?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

It's two piece. Soaking the area with penetrating oil helps too.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bmw
ok, i am really confused,99% of the people are telling me its one peice and to just tap the thing off. the other 1 % is saying its 2 peice and the bolt must be removed. how do i tell, i dont want to waste an afternoon banging on the thing thinking it will pop off and then find out that the bolt needs to be removed. what years had 1 piece and what had 2 piece?
I don't know what you mean by two piece or one piece, and I really don't know what they mean by it being 2 piece and needing the crank bolt being removed.

THE CRANK BOLT DOES NOT NEED TO BE REMOVED, PERIOD. I don't care what anyone else says, this is independent of year. Stop reading bullshit on the internet and go hit harder.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 AM   #9
new2bmw
3rd Gear Member

success

you were right, crank bolt stayed put. a little penetrating oil and a rubber mallet and it popped right off.
cheers
Larry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: