Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
statik
1st Gear Newbie

Drive Shaft Vibration Diagnosis

Hey guys, I have an E36 328is with some mild vibration when accelerating. When I did a pre purchase inspection the shop said I need to have the drive shaft replaced (along with center bearing and flex disc). I don't know if they looked at it closely or not, they told me this just by driving it. How do I tell if the vibration is caused by a worn flex disc, worn bearings, or worn ujoint (requring drive shaft replacement)? I have taken a quick look underneath and the flex disc looks fine, but I'm not sure where I would should see play. Is it typical for the U-joint to go, or is it usually just the center bearing and flex disc?

Any advice?

Scott
statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
jeffrie
Addict

Normaly just the Guibo and CSB cause the vibration which tally ups to less then $250 even getting parts of the stealers @ 6 bucks for a single bolt.
You can see a guibo coming apart by closly looking at the metal inserts, the'll be cracked around each one (6 in total) more to one side then the other. Have to take the CSB off and spin it by hand to see if it's baring is done, my new CSB cost 70 bucks taxes in so I picked it up just to not have to change it in a few months or so.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

Last edited by jeffrie; 07-26-2007 at 12:41 PM.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

^ what jeffrie said. look for cracking on the flex/disc.

i had a u- joint go on a crown vic i had way back.. made chirp chrip chirp noises almost like a CV joint..

what shop you going to/using?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
statik
1st Gear Newbie

I used Duss Brothers for the inspection, its a local independant BMW shop. I planning on doing the replacement myself though.

Scott
statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
Alizay
Bad Man Wagon

yeah, when i bought my E36, the U-joint was done in it. Changed it, and acceleration was great again. Those things typically go, and it's fairly inexpensive to have it replaced. From what you said about the acceleration, it sounds to me like the same problem I had. Change the U-joint and take it from there.

---My Ride---
2003 BMW 330i M-Package (E46)

LOOKING FOR:
Smoked Tail Lights, Corners and Side Markers for my 2003 BMW 330i

BMW = Bad Man Wagon!!!
Alizay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
soon2b-e
2nd Gear Member

^^ except its not your typical "clipped" u-joint, its a "staked" type u-joint where if you wanted it changed, you'd have to torch the welds off them first, put in new u-joints, and weld them back in, my suggestion is check for play, if there is play, buy a different new/used driveshaft, if you buy used, send it out to be rebalanced (an unbalanced driveshaft will give you that slight rumble at around 40-60 km/hr, mine is doing that right now and im planning on buying a good used driveshaft and send it out to be rebalanced

oh btw, change your guibo disc and CSB while your there, you dont wanna have to take down the exhaust twice, i dropped mine down on the "rack" hoist, so it was easier for a 1 person job

1995 325i- slushbox, cause i like it that way...
Soon2B- ??? - manual/stick cause i like it that way ?
soon2b-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
jeffrie
Addict

Think Alizay ment the guibo, for some reason the stealership has it in the compute as a "U-joint" when the rest of the world calls it a "guibo" or a "flex-disk". If an actual metal u-joint is gone (very rare) then yah, you'd be in need of a new driveshaft.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Duss brothers is a good shop.

not the cheapest shop,
but for bmw specific he's one of the Best in town

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: