Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:43 AM   #1
Bmwannabe
2nd Gear Member

The Price of new Keys - HELP!

Can't believe how ridiculous dealer prices are on replacement master(remote) keys for an E46.Some GTA dealers quoted me ~$244 + tax for ONE master key. Apparently comes from Germany and has to be precut.

some US forums are saying theirs comes from BMW NJ and costs $150 max for a key.

I ordered a used OEM remote key from ebay. Going to reprogram it for my car somehow. Eventually going to try dismantling it to change out the key mechanism so i can actually use the key to start the car.

questions:
1) has anyone dismantled the remote key, Can provide some insight?
2) Any idea how i can bypass the dealership in Canada? possibly get it from the states or elsewhere?
Bmwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
azn_oo1
2nd Gear Member

hi

i actually cut the key in half and replaced the battery but it still doesnt work so i gave up. i followed every step to replacing the battery but it just doesnt work so good luck. (how can we use another remote???) i thought that the immobilizer is different in each car.
azn_oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:22 AM   #3
Bmwannabe
2nd Gear Member

hmm..

from what I've read, if you replace the battery, you have to reprogram the key.
there are certain steps required to do that and should be in your owner's manual or ask BMW to do it. Should be free.

I'll be reprogramming the key i got from ebay when it arrives, so i can use the remote part to lock/unlock the doors at least.

When u cut the key in half, is it possible to replace the key shaft (metal piece), leaving the electronics intact?

still looking for insight into this key situation.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
azn_oo1
2nd Gear Member

it can be done because when you cut the key the key itself is on one side and the remote on other so if you can get the remote to work you'll just be switching them around another thing is that the immobilizer will be your only problem i dont know how these work but i think everycar has a different one or else we can just cut keys use old immobilizer to steal other ppl cars

GL
Old 07-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
cisco911
6th Gear Member

I don't think the cost is all that high. Any manufacturer that had a remote charges around 200 to 300 for a programmed key/remote. As for keys, the key itself is "chipped" so the immobilzer recognizes it if I'm not mistaken. So even if you could cut your own key, it wouldn't work.

Also, if you replaced the battery(if its possible), you need to charge it by having it in the ignition. The battery on E46 remotes charg by being in the ignition. Thats why spare keys usually don't work after a while if you don't use them.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
azn_oo1
2nd Gear Member

i tried it with the half of the key doesnt turn on the car it takes the whole key to work i guess immobilizer is on the remote side
Old 07-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Bmwannabe
2nd Gear Member

^^^Thanks dude.. exactly the answer i was looking for.

Now the question is.. when u reprogram the key, does it reprogram the immobilizer chip also? Im thinking probably not.

As for the inductive charging, he's absolutely right. your other alternative is to precharge the battery with DC power supply then put it into the key. At least I would check the battery voltage to make sure that new battery isn't dead.

still waiting for my ebay key to arrive. then the investigation will begin..
Old 07-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
kenzo
1st Gear Newbie

Hey dude,

After ALL the work you have done:

1) Buy a OEM key from eBay
2) Cut the key in half, check the batt voltage
3) Try to charge the batt IF THAT IS POSSIBLE
4) (If those steps above works), bring the "cut-in-half" key to the dealer to have them reprogram for you, if they will do when they see the broken key (IF THERE NO CHARGE FOR REPROGRAMMING THE KEY)
5) Your eBay key might work

Why don't you just buy a new key then???

Yes, the OEM key is very expensive, cos it has a chip inside to sync with the immobilizer, the batt is charge through the key shaft, so I don't know how can you charge the key with a regular DC charger.

They are cheap in the State, cos that is the State, cars are cheaper there too!!!

Man, think about what you will have to go through then you might have a different idea.

just my 0.02
kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:59 AM   #9
Bmwannabe
2nd Gear Member

Hey Kenzo,

actually it was azn_001 who was having problems replacing the battery on his keys so i suggested he charge the battery with a DC supply since you have access to battery terminals.

But i see your point about the hassle. As for key programming. The forums on Bimmerfest state ( for azn_001 to try )

1) sticked the key in
2) turned the key to position 1 ( accessory ?) & turned it off (in 5 sec.)
3) yanked the key out & moved it very close to the stem of the rearview mirror (for my car)
4) held the unlock button & simultaneously pressed the lock button 3 times
5) released the unlock button
6) waited about 10 sec. Kept holding the key close & pointed it to the rearview mirror, do nothing...
7) central lock responds by locking & unlocking the door

I'll try the above when my ebay keys arrive. If programming works fine, then i'll attempt to replace the key shaft with one for my own car.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
azn_oo1
2nd Gear Member

thx for the help.

keep me posted once you get your key. if it works im going to do the same thing
Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #11
Bmwannabe
2nd Gear Member

Ebay Keys Worked!!

I was able to successfully program the ebay keys using my valet key and the following steps.

1) get in the car, close all the doors and trunk
2) put a working key in the ignition. do NOT press the clutch.
3) turn keys to fully ON position ( if clutch was in, car would start)
4) turn keys back to position 0 and remove keys
5) hold key up near the stem of rearview mirror
6) hold down the UNLOCK button and press LOCK 3 times in succession
7) release unlock button
8) car should engage and disingate central locking to tell you it worked.

9) repeat steps 5-8 for ALL remaining keys.

from my experience on a friend's car, this step erases any other keys that used to work, so you have to perform step 9 for ALL your keys including the one you used to program the new key in the first place (- if it was itself a remote key)

next step : actually i'm content at the moment.... but
possibly buy new valet keys ( $60 @ BMW) and use the key part to replace the shaft of my ebay key.

the goal : $260 master keys for a total price of ~90 (30 ebay + 60 valet)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: