Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
MarkD
Banned

how many of you are thinking of a turbo for your m50tu?

I'm wondering what the interest is in a turbo kit for the M50tu and later the m52, s50 and s52.

It would be a kit for a stock motor. Hp would be 300 at the crank with an m50tu, depending on the boost and tune level. It would include turbo, intake and exhaust manifolds, intercooler, all pipes and software. The price isn't finalised yet, but would be around $6800 Canadian.

Note: this will kit will run the motor on the stock Motronic 413 or 506 DME.

Last edited by MarkD; 05-04-2007 at 06:20 PM.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
Furious
BMW again.

price is an interesting variable here Mark, can you be a bit more specific a few things like....

-type of turbo
-manifold?
-size injectors
-are you including wastegate/bov's?
-fuel pump? stock?

it might help us gauge the offer.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
price is an interesting variable here Mark, can you be a bit more specific a few things like....

-type of turbo
-manifold?
-size injectors
-are you including wastegate/bov's?
-fuel pump? stock?

it might help us gauge the offer.

It would be a TO3 turbo, but there could be some variations.
The exhaust manifold would most likely be cast.
The injectors would be around 32 lbs, possibly a bit higher
Wastegate is included.
I plan to include an upgraded fuel pump.

I am deciding in the next month or so if I should develop a system to test on my brother's car that could be used as a demo and development testbed.

It would be possible to drop off your car and get it back 5 to 7 days later, completely ready to drive away and with a dyno chart. (I would fine tune each car)

I want to sell the system at a very competitive price, I'll have to do some research to see what other systems go for. If anyone knows what other systems sell for, I'd be interested to know. (I have not checked yet)
Old 05-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Technique Tuning's (NickG) kit goes for $6800 (stg 1) for about 360rwhp, or $7700 (stg 2) for 380-420rwhp. This kit is pretty damn sweet but its for a m3

not sure what AAs kits go for but I think its similarly priced.

A guy named Techno550 (from racersmarket.net) on BF.C has a kit that comes with custom software and puts out impressive performance that I think goes for under $5000

Those are some of the more noteworthy competition imo, hope it helps

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroBMW
Technique Tuning's (NickG) kit goes for $6800 (stg 1) for about 360rwhp, or $7700 (stg 2) for 380-420rwhp. This kit is pretty damn sweet but its for a m3

not sure what AAs kits go for but I think its similarly priced.

A guy named Techno550 (from racersmarket.net) on BF.C has a kit that comes with custom software and puts out impressive performance that I think goes for under $5000

Those are some of the more noteworthy competition imo, hope it helps
Those prices are USD aren't they? And they're kits. Mark is saying you drop off the car (not in Florida), pay the $, and a week later pick it up, all INDIVIDUALLY tuned and finished (ask AA how much that would run ya).

If you're still offering this next year Mark and I'm back in TO like I plan to be, I'll be on this like flies on shit, for my S52 E30, althought I'd prefer a GT35 turbo (not that the turbo itself is even on the radar as a significant part of the cost of such a project).
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
Furious
BMW again.

sounds intersting Mark, keep us informed.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD
Those prices are USD aren't they? And they're kits. Mark is saying you drop off the car (not in Florida), pay the $, and a week later pick it up, all INDIVIDUALLY tuned and finished (ask AA how much that would run ya).

If you're still offering this next year Mark and I'm back in TO like I plan to be, I'll be on this like flies on shit, for my S52 E30, althought I'd prefer a GT35 turbo (not that the turbo itself is even on the radar as a significant part of the cost of such a project).
Mark asked what other systems go for, so I discribed some that I thought were some good examples. Yeah prices are USD for the ones that I said and off the top of my head as best i can remember.

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
Big T
94 318is

i would be interested if i dont swap an m52 into my 318...this seems like a good replacement
Old 05-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
Ant118
BmwAviator

i would be interested next year.

power output on the s52 would be what.... 360HP crank?

2011 Alpine/Black 335is

Last edited by Ant118; 05-08-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Ant118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
i would be interested if i dont swap an m52 into my 318...this seems like a good replacement
the turbo kit for the 6 cyl no?

To markD,

any plan to include m42 and m44 turbos?
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #11
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower1226
the turbo kit for the 6 cyl no?

To markD,

any plan to include m42 and m44 turbos?
I had considered making a kit for them but it isn't my top priority. The reason is that almost the same kit parts would fit on any M5x/S5x motor, and that covers a lot of cars that are in the 10 to 14 year age range. That's important as I want to maximise the number of cars the kit would work with, to minimise costs.

I'm starting to think there isn't a big enough market for these kits in Canada, I'd have to sell quite a few in the USA also. I also have the feeling that the best way to add FI is with new low CR forged pistons and then the price of the complete system goes way up.

I'll be working on a turbo M42 with one of the Metric Mechanic employees and if that works out well, I may offer a kit for people that don't want a completely rebuilt turbo motor.

Last edited by MarkD; 05-11-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #12
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD
I had considered making a kit for them but it isn't my top priority. The reason is that almost the same kit parts would fit on any M5x/S5x motor, and that covers a lot of cars that are in the 10 to 14 year age range. That's important as I want to maximise the number of cars the kit would work with, to minimise costs.

I'm starting to think there isn't a big enough market for these kits in Canada, I'd have to sell quite a few in the USA also. I also have the feeling that the best way to add FI is with new low CR forged pistons and then the price of the complete system goes way up.

I'll be working on a turbo M42 with one of the Metric Mechanic employees and if that works out well, I may offer a kit for people that don't want a completely rebuilt turbo motor.

Mark, low CR pistons is definitely the safest way to go, but they are definitely not required especially for 300hp.
If I remember correctly, this car has about 480rwhp @18psi on stock engine with thicker head gasket.
Also another good example is cardcounter's 328. He ran 650+ rwhp on stock engine with ARP head studs and thicker head gasket. I believe only at 700+ rwhp something gave in.
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #13
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
Mark, low CR pistons is definitely the safest way to go, but they are definitely not required especially for 300hp.
If I remember correctly, this car has about 480rwhp @18psi on stock engine with thicker head gasket.
Also another good example is cardcounter's 328. He ran 650+ rwhp on stock engine with ARP head studs and thicker head gasket. I believe only at 700+ rwhp something gave in.

Hi Vlad,
that's what I thought but I've been hearing some stories of destroyed stock pistons from a few mechanics. I'd like to have a 300 to 350 hp and a 500 hp version using a specially built turbo motor (Metric Mechanic would supply the head etc) but I'm starting to think that there are very few people who would actually spend what even the lower cost system would cost.

I sent you an email a few weeks back, I wanted to talk to you about fine tuning your car since it seems Osh has not helped you out yet. Please call me or PM your number.

Mark
Old 05-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #14
Furious
BMW again.

good deal Mark, just make sure when you put the kit together to use good quality parts. i find that a pretty big concern amoung the FI guys on various forums is fitment and quality. this only comes second to tuning but i have full confidence in your ability in that aspect.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:48 AM   #15
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound
Mark, I have a question for you, I am seriously looking at a turbo setup for my car, up until Dave (98Dinan3) told me about your potential kit I was going to proly go the TCD route Stage 2 ~400 in change HP. Is there a posibility that you would consider doing a Turbo Kit for the M30? I would much rather have the ability to be able to have you closer for any issues that could arise rather then have to be in touch with the guys down in Ohio. Plus they would need the car for a week but it's all the way down there, whereas up here is much more cost effective.

If you would consider it, what price would I be looking at and what kind of power #'s? Also would there be an exaust with this or is that up to the individual?

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf

Last edited by Hound; 05-17-2007 at 01:52 AM.
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: