Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2003, 03:04 AM   #1
FatDaddyBMW
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to FatDaddyBMW
Who actually tracks their Bimmer?

Just looking to see who all tracks their Bimmer instead of just driving the hell out of it on the street.

I was signed up for our local chapter's very first driver's school a couple of years ago (back then, my car had no modifications except a 3.25 diff and the Euro lights), but I had to back out at the last minute. Since then, I haven't had the time or the money to do a driver's school.

Has anyone been luckier than me?!

Brad "Shifty" Couvillon
'87 528e <--- Mark D'Sylva chip, 3.46 diff, 5-speed conversion, Bav Auto / Bilstein Sport

FatDaddyBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 03:29 AM   #2
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I do, and have been since I bought it 8 years ago... i've done so many schools I can't keep track. I'm now instructing for various Driving Schools around the GTA. Here's a pic of my car on turn 5A @Mosport in race spec (no front bumper cover, headlight, bra added with 15" alloys with R Compounds -- not pretty at all)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mosport-5a.jpg (261.5 KB, 433 views)

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 03:31 AM   #3
EMPOWERD

This is another weekend with everything left on (turn1).... I was helping out instructing on the skidpad and managed to get a few free laps in during the school's lunch hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mosport-2-1.jpg (100.6 KB, 307 views)

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 01-19-2003, 03:37 AM   #4
FatDaddyBMW
2nd Gear Member

I remember reading somewhere that you've had your car on the track. That's freaking awesome, given that you show the car, too. . . let's not mention the amount spent on the car!

I know a couple of e28 guys that have pristine cars and wouldn't DREAM of tracking the car. Me? Once I get the cash, that's where I'm going first. I don't see the point of having such a great handling car and not enjoying it above 5 or 6/10.

Brad "Shifty" Couvillon
'87 528e <--- Mark D'Sylva chip, 3.46 diff, 5-speed conversion, Bav Auto / Bilstein Sport

Old 01-19-2003, 03:46 AM   #5
EMPOWERD

haha, thanks man....

Actually, what happened is that I tracked my car right from day 1 of ownership... I was hooked and added only performance mods to make it quicker and handle better. I wasn't too much into looks except for a RDsport front spoiler and some black paint to mask the ugly chrome bumpers. When I did the full restoration I couldn't wait to get it on the track again with all the new-found power and roll cage... so I did and the stone chips were brutal! I had the entire front end repainted after the school and installed that 3M Armourguard stuff (AWSOME SHIT!) over the Rieger bumper and hood edge. My friends talked me into showing the car once and I cleaned house... so I thought I could do both, but it was impossible to keep the car looking show-quality with track time.... so I made a decision to show it that year and track it (only) this year.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 01-19-2003, 05:23 AM   #6
FatDaddyBMW
2nd Gear Member

3M Armourgard shit? What's that?

Is the Rieger kit you have fiberglass or ABS? I know an e28 guy that installed the BMP Euro conversion kit on his e28. That kit is made out of fiberglass, and he said it's flimsy as hell and would break soooo easily.

If you like that 3M stuff, then it must really work.

Of course, I'm not too worried about messing up my US-spec table-top bumpers

Brad "Shifty" Couvillon

Old 01-19-2003, 09:15 AM   #7
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
I do, and have been since I bought it 8 years ago... i've done so many schools I can't keep track. I'm now instructing for various Driving Schools around the GTA. Here's a pic of my car on turn 5A @Mosport in race spec (no front bumper cover, headlight, bra added with 15" alloys with R Compounds -- not pretty at all)
Hey Randy,
Got anymore close up pictures with this setup? Do you think you will visit any autocrosses at the Concorse this year with your E30 325e hybrid?
I'd love to see your car ripping the track at Mosport, Shannonville or even autocrossing. Even if I'm a spectator, I'd still get a thrill out of it!
Old 01-19-2003, 12:38 PM   #8
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
And the reason you don't come out to any BMW Club events is because.....????? You haven't been to one in over two years...

Didn't you instruct for Blake at the SAAB club at SMP in the fall? Why not start attending some BMW Club events again, and you could probably be instructing there before too long as well....

As to other events you've been instructing for, I wouldn't mind finding out who, as I'd like to get some more seat time for myself as well. (Damn, I'd hate to have to buy a Porsche just to instruct for them...they're pretty anal retentive about that stuff).

As to tracking cars, I built my car for that whole purpose. So while it's not as pretty as Randy's car, it is purpose built for racing. I went the E36 route however.

This is also a picture of Turn 5 at Mosport (with Mike Cole behind me).

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turn 5 april.jpg (196.4 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by GR8 Ride; 01-19-2003 at 12:41 PM.
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 12:40 PM   #9
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Another shot, through turn 9, chasing Peter's E36 M3 out of the way...

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turn 9-mosport. jpg.jpg (32.6 KB, 279 views)
Old 01-19-2003, 01:09 PM   #10
EMPOWERD

Nice pic Pat, i like the difference in lean angles. I haven't been to any BMWCC events (at least participating) for a couple of reasons.. first being that 2001 was a "show" year for the car because of what I said on the post above... during that show year I managed to blow my motor (#6 piston --- bad tuning with boost and fuel) and I've been limping around on 5 cyl ever since. If you watch the video of me doing donuts and stuff, you'll notice some blue smoke exiting the exhaust. Anyways, last spring I opened the motor up to fix it and found pretty much the whole bottom end pooched... but I had already bought the Porsche too. Now I have 2 expensive projects on the go, and to tell you the truth, I'm really looking forward to the GT2, so the E30's been sitting idle for a while.

I started out with Blake and i've now got a contact with the Ferrari Club of Canada that might be needing me to instruct for them this year. I haven't approached Porsche yet, in due time I guess. There's been a bit of politics in the BMWCC that I'm not happy with (you know about it) so I don't think they'll be needing me since I don't get my car serviced at Raven. I'm always up for it, but I'm not about to kiss-ass for it either... not my style.

Brad, the 3M Armourguard is a clear film that comes in 4" x 6' sheets and glues to the paint on the front of your car. When applied properly it is almost transparent and unnoticable... it wards off nasty stone chips because they literally bounce off. All Rieger GTS kits are fiberglass (I bought mine from Rieger hoping it would be Urethane) The glass itself is actually quite strong and well made though... no complaints there. In my 2 years of driving the car THAT low, I never cracked it once.

Mike, sorry... no more pics at the moments. I think I might have some paper pics kicking around that I have to find and scan.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 01-19-2003, 01:20 PM   #11
330DTM
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally posted by GR8 Ride
Another shot, through turn 9, chasing Peter's E36 M3 out of the way...

Pat
Pat,
did you eventually pass Peter or he was able to keep up the pressure?
Old 01-19-2003, 02:09 PM   #12
ROB89M3
6th Gear Member

I did ......

Remember this discussion?

Anyways, I'll be doing more driving schools,hopefully this year,work permitting
(I work on Saturdays..)
ROB89M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 03:34 PM   #13
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Pat,
did you eventually pass Peter or he was able to keep up the pressure?
Yeah. Actually, Peter went out and bought an entirely new suspension for his car after that weekend....

He was having a tough time being passed in an M3 by a lowly 325is....

With his new suspension, we're pretty much equal around Mosport...he's quicker on the straights, but I'll take him in every corner.

Before he put his coilovers on, I was about 3 seconds a lap faster than he was.

Pat
Old 01-19-2003, 03:41 PM   #14
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Nice pic Pat, i like the difference in lean angles. I haven't been to any BMWCC events (at least participating) for a couple of reasons.. first being that 2001 was a "show" year for the car because of what I said on the post above... during that show year I managed to blow my motor (#6 piston --- bad tuning with boost and fuel) and I've been limping around on 5 cyl ever since. If you watch the video of me doing donuts and stuff, you'll notice some blue smoke exiting the exhaust. Anyways, last spring I opened the motor up to fix it and found pretty much the whole bottom end pooched... but I had already bought the Porsche too. Now I have 2 expensive projects on the go, and to tell you the truth, I'm really looking forward to the GT2, so the E30's been sitting idle for a while.

I started out with Blake and i've now got a contact with the Ferrari Club of Canada that might be needing me to instruct for them this year. I haven't approached Porsche yet, in due time I guess. There's been a bit of politics in the BMWCC that I'm not happy with (you know about it) so I don't think they'll be needing me since I don't get my car serviced at Raven. I'm always up for it, but I'm not about to kiss-ass for it either... not my style.

Brad, the 3M Armourguard is a clear film that comes in 4" x 6' sheets and glues to the paint on the front of your car. When applied properly it is almost transparent and unnoticable... it wards off nasty stone chips because they literally bounce off. All Rieger GTS kits are fiberglass (I bought mine from Rieger hoping it would be Urethane) The glass itself is actually quite strong and well made though... no complaints there. In my 2 years of driving the car THAT low, I never cracked it once.

Mike, sorry... no more pics at the moments. I think I might have some paper pics kicking around that I have to find and scan.
Randy, any sources for the 3M Armourguard? I've been looking at something like that for my front end as well....my splitter is basically torn up from rocks.

Secondly, Derek Hanson is the guy to talk to about Ferrari events, though Blake can probably help you out there as well. I did a couple of Ferrari events last year, and I'm hoping to do their Mt Tremblant events this year. They are pretty easy days....

You have a Porsche now, so you'd be able to do those days...they are pretty specific in that sense.

I won't get into the politics here, but you and I need to grab a beer sometime and discuss those.

Also going to VIR this spring (early March) to instruct there, and quite possibly Mid-Ohio and the Glen as well. All BMW-CCA events...depending upon free time. There was a chance at going to Sebring this week for Winterfest as well, but I just had to pass on that for this year. Maybe next...

Some of the smaller organizations are always looking for instructors as well....Jordan et al were at the GTA Mustang Club event at Mosport....apparently that was quite a bit of fun (tongue in cheek on that comment).

Pat
Old 01-19-2003, 04:57 PM   #15
330DTM
Cinematographer

Quote:
Originally posted by GR8 Ride
Yeah. Actually, Peter went out and bought an entirely new suspension for his car after that weekend....

He was having a tough time being passed in an M3 by a lowly 325is....

With his new suspension, we're pretty much equal around Mosport...he's quicker on the straights, but I'll take him in every corner.

Before he put his coilovers on, I was about 3 seconds a lap faster than he was.

Pat
In that case, I guess it comes down to driver skill/experience + setup of the car? Or am I wrong?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: