Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Must do Fan delete mod ASAP

Alright guys, my car is out of use. The motor fan shrowd (was cracked and held in with zip ties) yet again fell back onto my fan and broke blades on the fan.

Also, my auxillary fan is currently out of use, it's kind of hard to move, must be greased or something and I gotta set up a seperate fuse for it cause the one now is melted in . I'm hoping since it's winter right now though, this won't really be needed and I can go ahead with the rest of the mod and figure out the auxillary fan during the winter.

Other than understeer.com, where else can I get the kit or the individual parts needed?

Thanks,

Flaviu

EDIT: Ok I've been looking at what I need to get:

- 2 Bottles of Red Line Water Wetter [can skip for now]
- 11 53 1 466 174 80c Thermostat [$23 from dealership according to realoem]
- 11 53 1 265 084 O-ring [$1.xx]
- 11 53 1 740 437 (5/92-up) / 11 53 1 748 047 (up to 5/92) Thermostat Housing Gasket [$1.xx]
- 61 31 8 361 787 (up to 9/95) / 61 31 8 376 440 (9/95 and up) 80/88c Fan Switch [will skip for now (winter) and maybe hardwire it always on]
- 32 41 1 093 596 Fan Switch Sealing Ring [skip for now]
- BMW Coolant
- Distilled Water (have)

So basically I should be up and running with $25+coolant?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Last edited by Dr. Flyview; 10-31-2007 at 05:14 AM.
Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
INFAMOU$
Automotive Puppeteer

Send a message via MSN to INFAMOU$
IMO you won't need to change your T stat right now either way b/c of the colder weather and who's to say you don't have a lower one in there now.. I would do the mod and see how the heat goes... So all you need to really do is take off the fan and add your water wetter.. You won't need the AUX fan.. I have never needed one.. it just blocks air flow when it's not turning anyways.. Just remember that the fan is threaded on REVERSE so you will be going clockwise to get it off.. I just put a big pry bar inbetween the tensioner pulley and water pump pulley to lock em in place.. I didn't have a big enough wrench at the time so i used a good pair of vice grips and tapped em with a hammer and it came right off.

Last edited by INFAMOU$; 10-31-2007 at 09:43 AM.
INFAMOU$ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
rwdbmwm3
3rd Gear Member

dont look at real oem parts they are completely off when compared to dealer prices in most cases
rwdbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flav_cool View Post
Alright guys, my car is out of use. The motor fan shrowd (was cracked and held in with zip ties) yet again fell back onto my fan and broke blades on the fan.

Also, my auxillary fan is currently out of use, it's kind of hard to move, must be greased or something and I gotta set up a seperate fuse for it cause the one now is melted in . I'm hoping since it's winter right now though, this won't really be needed and I can go ahead with the rest of the mod and figure out the auxillary fan during the winter.
hook up some type of fan ..u need something.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
hook up some type of fan ..u need something.
For the summer, for sure, but I don't think now. The shroud fell on the fan a few times (and I kept putting it back) before it managed to snap off some blades, and the car didn't overheat, I just decided to check the engine bay and saw the fan stuck. Why would I have a lower thermostat in there already? I doubt it. So I would wanna get that + the 2 seals + water wetter. I'm calling the dealer now. Where can I get the water wetter?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 10-31-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
saint166
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
For the summer, for sure, but I don't think now. The shroud fell on the fan a few times (and I kept putting it back) before it managed to snap off some blades, and the car didn't overheat, I just decided to check the engine bay and saw the fan stuck. Why would I have a lower thermostat in there already? I doubt it. So I would wanna get that + the 2 seals + water wetter. I'm calling the dealer now. Where can I get the water wetter?
parts source or canada tire has water wetter
saint166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

ok I got the water wetter. I can't ****in find a 32mm wrench anywhere!

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Old 10-31-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
saint166
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
ok I got the water wetter. I can't ****in find a 32mm wrench anywhere!
princess auto will have one
saint166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
For the summer, for sure, but I don't think now.
hi-way, yeah the air will keep it cool...
gridlock or any 30+ min stop/go traffic situation hmmm

any1 agree disagree with that (opinions)?
wouldn't want you to cook your motor & blow the headgasket

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/index.php
Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro View Post
hi-way, yeah the air will keep it cool...
gridlock or any 30+ min stop/go traffic situation hmmm

any1 agree disagree with that (opinions)?
wouldn't want you to cook your motor & blow the headgasket

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/index.php
You are correct.

It'll take about 20 min of ideling to start to boil @ around -10 or so from a cold startup (no movement), and about 1 min to boil out all the coolant.
Found this out when smashed 323's aux fan's fuse blew.
If you come from a 20 min cruis on the hyway to stop & go traffic, in about 2-5 min (depending on traffic) you'll boil over & overheat since coolant will be up to temp already before the traffic starts, as found out by the same guy.... When he found out his aux fan seized up as yours is Flav_cool.
Can see why some think it's not needed, when it's on it's almost silent and only on for about 40 secs when it does turn on.

Water wetter is pretty much the only thing you do not need for the fan delete mod.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

Last edited by jeffrie; 10-31-2007 at 08:55 PM.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:09 PM   #11
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Um, yeah. You'll need a fan.

Jay

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:43 PM   #12
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

PLEASE don't run without a fan.

Terry

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
Helka
BMW4LIFE

I've got a 94 318i and i took my existing fan off and just hooked up a junk yard electric fan and never put watter wetter or changed any seals. I know for 2.0 and better you might need to change some seals. After my car get's warm i periodically turn the fan on and it cools the engine down really fast. I picked up a used electric fan from the wreckers for $40 and just used 8 gauge speaker wire and 20 amp fuse, plus relay and it works great and you'll also notice an increase in power since the engine doesn't have to crank a big fan.

Cheers

CURRENT RIDE
07 BMW 328i

PREVIOUS RIDES
1994 BMW 318i
1993 SATURN SC1
1989 TOYOTA MR2 SUPERCHARGED
1975 BMW 2002
Helka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 AM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I 'installed' the FDM over 4 years ago, never had an issue running fanless. DO NOT SKIP ON ANY PARTS, regardless of the current weather. To not run without a proper thermostat or without water wetter. The stock coolant temp gauge has a huge dead spot where it doesn't move toward hot until it's practically too late.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:43 AM   #15
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Alright well I'm running water wetter, that's it for now. I need the car to run. It didn't overheat once tonight in around 12C weather highest. Hope I wasn't running close to the edge of the dead spot...

What pisses me off is that I ****ed the pulley that the belt goes on to spin the fan (the pulley that usually has the fan clutch on it). I was trying to hold it from moving to get the fan off and I disintegrated (unsmoothed) some of the metal fins :S Hope it doesn't cut my belt, I will replace it. Then we got the right tool to hold it and got it off in one minute..

Quote:
Originally Posted by understeer.com
Removing the driven fan does reduce the cooling efficiency somewhat, but only while the car is moving less than about 10MPH
Of course I am getting the thermostat and fan switch. I think I may just order the kit, unless I can find the parts used. 80c thermostat I should be able to find off an e30 no? Then I gotta fix my aux fan...

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
sold

Last edited by Dr. Flyview; 11-01-2007 at 02:48 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: