Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
diezel06turk
4th Gear Member

car shaking on 1st

hey i was just wondering if ne1 had this problem,

sometimes when i put the gear in first and slowly start rolling , everything under the hood (the whole engine) starts to shake and when i put it on 2nd its fine but when i give gas above 2000rpm and then release the clutch slowly, nothing happens the car goes fine. on top of that the most i got wit a full tank was 450 km. I assume its the spark plugs... and im gettin worried
just a month ago at 85000km me and my friend changed the pulleys, water pump, belts and my thermostat. i wasnt too sure if i had to replace the spark plugs.

lets see if i can get some help from u guys, thanx in advance
diezel06turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
rmanaudio
3rd Gear Member

This is normal after you wear out your clutch and flywheel.

This is cause because YOU ride your clutch too much. Dont worry I do it too, to get a smooth ride.

You will notice if you let out the clutch faster it will not do it.

To fix this problem, you will have to change your clutch and/or flywheel. Either the clutch or flywheel could be warped....or it could be the pressure plate and the throwout bearing doing this.

Im doing a complete swap with UUC stage 2 clutch/flywheel, so I wont know what exactly causes the problem.

If it is just the clutch, you can fix it after a few clicks of hard clutch dropping.

Nothing major to worry about.....just wait till it gets worse and your clutch starts to slip, than upgrade everything. Just make sure you dont ride the clutch too much.
rmanaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
diezel06turk
4th Gear Member

hey thans alot man, even though alot of ppl have posted a similir issue on e46fanatics and appereantly replacing the spurk plugs solved everything, what u just posted makes sence also. i guess ill wait for another 3-4 thousand km and then ill see how things go. 1s again thanx alot !
Old 04-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
champ0202
2nd Gear Member

shaking on 1st

Try changing gears earlier than you normally do (at lower rpms) if your car hesitates ( shakes) it may be your ignition coils. My car would do the same thing in first and if I put it into third gear to soon, changing my plugs did not help then I changed my coils and everything was back to normal, is your engine light on? if your engine light is going on I doubt that it is your plugs or coils

good luck!
champ0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
diezel06turk
4th Gear Member

no my engine light is not on. it doesnt always happen and as "rmanaudio" already mentioned if i let go of the clutch faster it doesnt happen. i talked to my friend ( the 1 that helped me install my other parts) he also said the it could be the coils and he told me if the problem was the clutch the clutch would shake/ hesitate when i switch gears. btw this guy came from germany about 2.5 yrs ago and appearently he was a bmw mechanic so i dont know. im worried tho...maybe i should take the car to Charlie and let him have a look at it.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:02 AM   #6
rmanaudio
3rd Gear Member

Dont let anyone take a look, a lot of people have this problem and they spend thousands of dollars trying to fix it.

It is normal as the e46 has a very heavy dual mass flywheel.

I have changed a lot of stuff on my car, the only thing left for my to DIY is engine swap. If you have problems, ive probably had it and could help you out.

One thing ive learned, is these e46s have A LOT of problems. But, most of the problems will not cause major problems, you just have to learn to live with it.

It is not a perfect car like a jap scrap.

Just keep driving it and enjoy it. Do your oil change every 7-8K and you will be fine.

After you do 100-120K change your clutch to UUC package and drive on. This way you change clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and the throw out bearing.

Also you will notice when the car is cold, it wont do it, it starts happening when the clutch warms up.
rmanaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
330ci05
6th Gear Member

i got a stock FULL clutch kit for sale if u want OEM....less then 20k on it..... if it makes u fell better my whole car shakes .... lol
330ci05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: