Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-08-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Speaker Help Fixable or Not?

Scored a pair of Sony Acoustics Speakers For my desktop. they Ratted @ 100RMS Each. it looked lke it was sitting for a while. took of the cover and slitly touched the outside diameter of the subs. it cracked on me on the softest touch anyone know if there is anyway to fix it? looked lke it was sitting for a very long time.
the middle hard part its fine its just arround it.

ZiMMie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
yeah, you can use foam surround glue, or replace the foam surrounds.. very easy to do. I've rebuilt so many speakers & subwoofers it's almost second nature now. You'll need to cut out and replace the dust cap while you're at it too.

Here's a kit to DIY: http://www.speakerworks.net/kits.html
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Thanx
Ordered a pair.

i dont think i wanna touch the dust caps.(inner cone is called dust cap?) why are they call dust caps? isnt it completly sealed?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:37 AM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
you have to cut out the dust caps to replace the foam surround actually. If you can cancel your order, do it.... I have a free shipment that I have to place with resound, I can ask them to toss in your order as well.. free shipping.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

i was able to cancel the order this morning. when ready, order me a pair of surrounds for a 8" Angled sub. I can paypal u or meet up with cash when they come in. let me know wat's convenient for u.

thanx again
Old 05-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie
i was able to cancel the order this morning. when ready, order me a pair of surrounds for a 8" Angled sub. I can paypal u or meet up with cash when they come in. let me know wat's convenient for u.

thanx again
K.. I'll place the order tonight. If you need help with the repair, just ask. Just noticed the other questions previously.

The dust cap is the dome shaped thing in the middle of the cone. It's called a dust cap because it protects dust and debris from getting lodged in the Spider, voicecoil, and top plate. Especially important since when energized it is highly magnetic, and metal materials lodged in there can damage the speaker.

The reason I say the dust cap should be removed for a proper repair is because there is a good chance that when you glue the new surround on, the cone will not be perfectly centered.. but instead up against the voicecoil. (there should be a small <1mm gap all around), and when the speaker moves it will rub against the coil making a scraping sound. If you remove the dust cap, you can then space the cone out properly, using for example 4 toothpicks wedged between the cone and the coil. Then glue the new surround in place, remove the toothpicks, and glue a new dust cap on top.

Another word of advice to make the repair clean. Before you tear off your old foam surround, put masking tape on the cone all the way around the foam surround. Then use an x-acto knife and cut all the way around so the masking tape is still on the cone when you remove the foam. So any excess glue from the new surround will ooze onto the masking tape instead. After it dries, remove the tape and it'll look clean. Otherwise you'll end up with clear dried glue all the way around.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

i official need those surrounds this wat happen my first week with them. wired the one its jst totaly fine.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Ya Zimmie, I did it to my dads speakers, it's not to hard. Comes with instructions so its not too bad.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:54 AM   #9
Justin e36
---

don't use it anymore, it'll allow too much excursion and the speaker will blow. I'm waiting for a reply email from them so I can send the money for the new surrounds.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
Justin e36
---

btw.. the order has already been placed/paid. I'll let you know when the surrounds come in...
Old 06-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #11
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
btw.. the order has already been placed/paid. I'll let you know when the surrounds come in...
thanx alot again Hulk. they sound soo much better now.

www.StanceFactory.com
Old 06-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #12
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie
thanx alot again Hulk. they sound soo much better now.
Anytime bro. Post up some pictures of how it turned out...
Old 06-19-2006, 10:49 PM   #13
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Anytime bro. Post up some pictures of how it turned out...
is there any way to clean the excess glue once it drys?
here are the pics.

i really pushed these speaker hard and it hasnt made any of the noise u describe if they are not centered propely.

www.StanceFactory.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: