Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
BMW Guy
2nd Gear Member

Clunking sound from back

I have a 93 325is. When going over bumps I get a loud clunking sound coming from the right rear of the car. Is there any common problems with shocks and/or shock bushings wearing out? Please advise. Thanks
BMW Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
Furious
BMW again.

yikes i kinda have the same issue, mine only makes the noise when going over speed bumps or out of driveways slow, i havent noticed the sound at higher speeds.... and thought maybe the subframe, but someone said that subframe failure also makes a nasty noise on hard acceleration (i have yet to comfirm how to diagnose a subframe failure though)... but i have to get the car back on the road and see for myself, it could very well be a problem with the rear shock mounts or trailing arm bushing.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
Big T
94 318is

upper rear shock mounts, big problems with those.

Goto the dealer and get m3 ones with z3 reinforment plates
Old 03-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Ya, more than likely its your RSM, mine are shot to hell and make a noise like all hell breaking loose at speeds above 120km!
Old 03-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
markw

my car did that... it was my rear control arm bushings
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
what can cause it:
1. shock mounts, you'll notice it more on bumps and potholes.
2. trailing arm bushings, while going 40km/h slam on the gas... if the bushing is gone you'll usually feel the back of the car jerk to one side.
3. subframe bushings, you'll notice the knocking whenever the rear subframe is put under stress. bumps, potholes, hard braking, hard acceleration. it's usually a very quiet THUD sound.
4. could be any one of your mounts, or differential bolts.

Also be sure to make sure your spare tire is secured, as well as your car jack. I remember I once had a small bottle that fell down there and was rolling around whenever I hit the brakes... sounded a lot like a dying RSM.

I've had a thumping sound at the back of my car since I ran over a 4x4 log at 80km/h... fell off a pickup truck right in front of me, and the car was airborn. Looks like it's a torn subframe bushing... I just have to keep tightening that subframe bolt every year or so, till I can afford to get it fixed properly.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
vadim321go
6th Gear Member

for me i my problem is that the metal panel that goes all the way under the car is rusty and in some places its broken due to rust. when the car is cold it causes it to shake and make horrible noises. dont jump the gun thinking something is truly broken. i checked everything out and everythign works, its just that stupid metal thing thats rusted
Old 03-09-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
superman123
slushbox champion

if u hear that noise from the front ..with new struts
might that be bushings or mounts (didnt change the mounts when i changed the struts )(i kinda suspect those)
i hear it when i take a quick corner or some bumps
superman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 PM   #9
Jari
4th Gear Member

I'm betting rear shock mounts. Not an expensive fix even if you upgrade them with aftermarket mounts. I've changed mine so many times I can do them both in under an hour.
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:18 AM   #10
kzy
6th Gear Newbie

I had a very similiar sounding problem with my car, and thought it was something to do with my shocks as well.

Took it in to Rocco at RMP, and he diagnosed it quickly as simply a loose parking brake, so he tightened everything up, and no more clunking/rattling
- 1998 318is *retired*
kzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #11
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
just did rogue rsm's and they helped to rid the car of the rear end clunk. they're nice sturdy pieces.
98Dinan3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #12
BMW Guy
2nd Gear Member

It was the right RSM. I replaced both while I was at it. Both changed in less then an hour. Not bad. It's a quiet ride now. Thanks for your suggestions.
BMW Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: