Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-24-2002, 11:01 PM   #1
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
Urathane VS Fiberglass

If you are about to buy a body kit for your e30 and it is a daily driver, what is better Urathane or fiberglass( pros and Cons)
cost is obvious..but why?
*devil*
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 01:31 AM   #2
Gamite

Urethane is MUCH more durable, it will flex, and is not as prone to stone chips as fiberglass. I have a urethane bumper add on, and on the first day driving with it, I drove it over one of those concrete parking stops, the bumper folded in, but when I backed out, the bumper popped back out. If this were fiberglass, it would have been in pieces.

Fiberglass is a very rigid substance, especially in cold weather. If your driving your car in winter, I highly suggest you steer away from it, hits from ice and snow will crack it. Its much cheaper to produce than Urethane though.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 02:14 PM   #3
e36_freak
Mostly absent

Send a message via ICQ to e36_freak Send a message via MSN to e36_freak
fiberglass is cheaper than urathane.....
true that urathane is more flexible but depending on who makes the fiberglass and how it's done.... it cane also be close to the flexibilitie as the plastic ones......
i've seen Fil (Eurostyle) scrape his fiberglass front on cement block and keeps going and it didn't crack or bust apart or anything it just dug into the fiberglass just like it would with the plastic ones....

i heard fiberglass is good if you DON"T brace it to death... allow it room to bend and flex...

[M]i[K]E[][M]i[K]E[]
e36_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:04 PM   #4
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
I would suggest getting either a urethane or abs plastic front bumper as that will take most of the scrapes or bumps if you ever encounter any. The sideskirts, and rear bumper can be fiberglass as they usually dont make contact with anything. MAYBE the side skirts might scrape over certain speedbumps, but if you're carefull you shouldn't have any problems.

As for spoiliers, i would suggest that if you get fiberglass to reinforce the underside of it, or what I like to do is drill through the spoiler lengthwise and install a metal rod inside the spoiler to give it strength, and then i fiberglass over the holes and paint it.

Reason i do this is because with fiberglass, especially with larger spoilers like the reiger infinity ii spoiler, they begin to sag in the middle over time, especially after hot days, and the sagging can sometimes be permenant or cause cracking =/

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
mkgino
6th Gear Member

There is no substitute for urethane, get that. It will cost a litte more but its worth it in the end and you wont regret it!
Old 10-25-2002, 08:31 PM   #6
Gamite

yeah, I wouldnt mind having a fiberglass spoiler, its not like yoru going to get stone chips back there, and its light.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 10:36 PM   #7
Jase
twisted beyond reason

Send a message via MSN to Jase
Thanks for all the great replys. I am wondering if eurostyle sells urathane or fiberglass. I don't want it to break...
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: