Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
BennyL
7th Gear Member

HELP! Rear Plastic Window Broke!

Hey guys, I need your help! Yesterday, I was opening the convertible top, and the plastic rear window just cracked right down the middle. The whole damn thing is broken now, and I taped it up until I can get it fixed. But it won't hold if we see some rain or snow. So I need to get it repaired ASAP!

Does anyone have any info on how the windows is built in to the top? is it replaceable?

I REALLY hope this isn't going to cost me a fortune...

I feel like the stealership will rip me a new one for this. Any alternatives would be great.

Anyone know anything about these windows/tops???

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
according to the bently manual it is replacable, so you wont need a whole new top, it does however not tell you how to get it replaced. but atleast you can rest easy a lil bit knowing you dont need a whole new roof

http://www.bmw-convertible-window.com/E36Window.asp

that should be about your general cost for a new window. The window zips in and out from the top.

hope that helps, good luck

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.

Last edited by spooner_dee; 03-08-2006 at 12:10 PM.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
BennyL
7th Gear Member

i read through the convertible top section of the bentley manual... didnt find anything about the window. where'd you see that?

and please people, and help would be good!!! i need info on how the windows comes out, and how a new one goes in. i hop to g*d its not stitched in.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
spooner_dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
i read through the convertible top section of the bentley manual... didnt find anything about the window. where'd you see that?

and please people, and help would be good!!! i need info on how the windows comes out, and how a new one goes in. i hop to g*d its not stitched in.
541-1 of the bently manual, Convertable top, the very begining is where i found that lil piece of info.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
No, it's not stitched in... it's zipped in. It's still a PITA to replace, very cumbersome process to do. Here's what another member said about replacing his rear window, the process is similar: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64950
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
BennyL
7th Gear Member

thanks justin and spooner

im going to ask BMWF1 more about it. and i'll call those guys who sell the replacement tops.

if anyone else has info or experience with this kind of thing, please post!

Old 03-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
AMI Motorsports
3rd Gear Member

Just remember this is a perfect example of why you don't put the top down when it is cold. As for the window you could probably get a boat top shop to install a new plastic in the old material might be cheaper.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
spooner_dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMI Motorsports
Just remember this is a perfect example of why you don't put the top down when it is cold. As for the window you could probably get a boat top shop to install a new plastic in the old material might be cheaper.

yeah keep in mind that the window is made of flexible vinyl. (plastic) which becomes brittle with cold weather.

Use treatments on the next one to ensure that it doest become dried out and brittle and you dont see the same result in a few years on a cold day.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner_dee
yeah keep in mind that the window is made of flexible vinyl. (plastic) which becomes brittle with cold weather.

Use treatments on the next one to ensure that it doest become dried out and brittle and you dont see the same result in a few years on a cold day.
However, do NOT use any products designed for glass on your rear window, or headlights. (i.e. windex, or glass cleaning products). These products contain agents that will pit and damage the plastic. Once damaged, dirt and grime can get trapped in these pits causing your headlamps and plastic rear window to yellow.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #10
low_bmw
6th Gear Member

Location: "ANYWHERE WHERE THE PAVEMENT IS SMOOTH AND THERE IS NO SPEEDBUMPS" Toronto (Etobicoke)
i think only 99's are zipped in and 94-98 are stitched. they go for about $1000 just the plastic window + your labour.
1991 CIVIC ZC (SOLD)
1999 CIVIC LX (SOLD)
1999 E36 M3 CABRIO (SOLD)
1998 INTEGRA GS (STOLEN IN 4 DAYS)
1999 ACURA EL PREMIUM (SOLD)
2002 330CI M PACKAGE (SOLD)
2005 ACURA EL (daily driver)
1990 FORD MUSTANG LX (garage queen)
low_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
BennyL
7th Gear Member

so... what should i treat the new window with?

and low_bmw, i hope your kidding me. i check on the inside of the car, there is a zipper all along the perimiter of the rear window... so im assuming it is not stitched in.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
318topless
2nd Gear Member

ya guys my rear window is cracked also, and i think 99s only zip up, so what should i do take it to the dealer?
318topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
BennyL
7th Gear Member

where are you guys getting this information that only 99's are zip?

Old 03-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #14
BennyL
7th Gear Member

in fact, according to realoem.com, you are incorrect: LINK

take a look at that diagram. look at #14. REAR WINDOW WITH ZIP FASTENER - Part Number 54318207803

i'm going to call Authohaus tomorrow and see how much they want for it. i also already e-mailed that guy with the website that spooner linked to.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #15
spooner_dee

as for treatments, i dont know off hand, but go to an auto part store and just look at different cleaning/treating products, just something to keep it clean moisturized and healthy to last you as long as possible. like amorall for dash boards' and leather treatment for seats.. you get the idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: