Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Z series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
BMWF1

READ: if you plan on changing Roadster Rear Window.

OK, I figure i'll make a post on this now, just to give people a heads up on changing this stupid plastic window. If its not that bad, DON'T CHANGE IT!!! this is the biggest POS to change every. The instructions indicate that this is super easy, a 20 minute task. I have not met a single person that did this in under 2-3 hours without cursing uncontrably. So if you can afford to pay the dealer 2 hours labor i would recommend this route. This is by far the worst project I have ever attempted. Stay AWAY, if you must do it yourself, BE VERY PATIENT.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
... more details?... what exactly is involved? I'll be tackling the same project on a Porsche when it warms up...
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
somewone wooks aaaaaaaaangwyyyyyyy

i think im just bitter cause i can't afford a z3. but seriously, details? what makes it so hard?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
BennyL
7th Gear Member

Unhappy

oh, well, that's just ****ing great.

the rear plastic window in my 318 convertible just cracked in half. i need to replace it.

please tell us more about why this is such a pain in the arse.

and where did you purchase your replacement rear window?

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
BMWF1

I purchased the Replacement kit on ebay, it ran about 90 bucks shipped to Michigan.

I have actually discovered a few tips on how to get this in without ripping your hair out. THe best way of putting in a new plastic window is to heat it up first. Not super hot, but get a few blow dryers and heat it up so that the plastic is much more flexible and easier to work with, as When i was doing it that new plastic is so ruff and didn't want to do much. After you apply quite a bit of heat it should be easier to form. Start with the window laying on your trunk .

... and when you going to start zipping start with the INSIDE TRACK. Normally indicated by some blue coloring at the begining of the zipper....

Make sure the covertible top is up about half way or so, take a broom stick to hold it up, just hold the button (if yours is power) and stop it half way, it will have a tendency to fall back down because of gravity so thats where the broom stick comes in places.

Then start zipping from the outside once you get the zipper start, and with this part be extremely patient, it will take some time i know it seems that this should be as easily as 1,2,3 but it will take a few hours if you get frustrated i recommend taking a break, as I ended up breaking the zipper out of frustration and went to every fabric store in town and they couldn't find the same one, eventually had to contact the seller to send me a new one again.

SO BE PATIENT....

once you get it start from the outside flip the window, have someoen holding it, and go inside and begin zipping. Getting aroudn the roll hoops is tricky, but just go slow and you should be good.

Once your done and you notice that its all wavey, this could be 2 things......

1. THe window is off-center meaning that YES, your going to have to unzip, move it over a few teeth and start again.

2. Let the car is in the sun for a few days to bask and see if the window will straighten out.

IMPORTANT....do not open your top until you have let the car sit in the sun and bask in the heat...i've seen a top get ripped to shit because it was dropped right away, so beware.

Someone also asked me if I recommend the ebay window kit or if i would get the dealership window kit...I honestly don't see a difference, Plastic is Plastic and if you can save yourself a few hundred bucks then why not.

and Good Luck ....
Old 03-16-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
BennyL
7th Gear Member

thanks BMWF1. the advice will surely come in handy. i ordered the eBay window. i have heard many many good things about it, and an OEM dealership windows is a huge rip-off.

thanks again, man! i'll let everyone know how it goes for me.

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
318topless
2nd Gear Member

Started Mine

K Well I Started Mine And Cant Finish It And Im Kinda Goin Crazy Now K N E One Help Me?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Did mine in less then 45min outside of my work. Wasn't that hard at all... just the gluing bit.

T.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: