Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-21-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
UncleJ
Average Homeboy

Any muslims on the board?

Just got a couple of questions.

Can I go to a mosque and ask a... muslim priest? some questions.

Where can I get a copy of the quran? Book store?
UncleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

out of curiosity...are you considering converting because of your girlfriend?

(i know it's random but i swear i've seen this happen so much in the past two years i'm almost scared )
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Kal
maxRealtor

Send a message via MSN to Kal
i'm not muslim but post your questions here.
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Gullwing
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Gullwing Send a message via Yahoo to Gullwing
Im muslim. Yes you can go to a mosque and ask the sheikh questions, its normal. Most mosques should have copies of the koran for free. Or u can try
http://www.freequran.ca/. Im not religious but i can answer general questions if you want.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
UncleJ
Average Homeboy

Nah, I have no plans to convert at this time. I just have a genuine curiosity about the religion and want to learn more about it.

Questions:

-Is it true you have to pray 5 times a day? Why and are there specific times?
-Do you have to have an arranged marriage?
-Is there a heaven/hell concept?
-How strictly are you expected to follow the religion?
-Is there a 10 commandments concept?
-What are the sigificant holidays?

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ
Nah, I have no plans to convert at this time. I just have a genuine curiosity about the religion and want to learn more about it.
I'll give this a shot, I'm not Muslim but I've read the Koran, and learned a bit about Muslim teachings, as well as Buddhism, Taoism, various denominations of Christianity, and a little bit of Judaism. I'm Roman Catholic myself.

Questions:

Yes, prayers are made at least 5 times a day. Prayer is called Salat.

The five times of observed prayer are:
· pre-dawn (when you wake up, before the sun comes up)
· noon
· afternoon (when done work, and kids on the way home from school.)
· sunset (right after the sun goes down)
· evening (before going to bed.)

I know evening is called Isha, just because that's my mom's name... but I can't remember the Muslim word for the other times of prayer.

Yes, arranged marriages are traditional custom.

Yes, this is a difficult one to explain though. Heaven and Hell have already and been created (unlike Christian beliefs). They will never cease to exist, they will be here for eternity. Although some argue they haven't been created yet, as they will be empty until the day of ressurection. There really is no definite answer to this, but teachings lead to believe that they both already exist.

You will be destined to either Paradise, or Hell on the day of ressurection. You do not go to either heaven, or hell, after you die. You will go to your grave, and may lay there for thousands of years, but on the day of ressurection, everyone will leave their graves and go to either Paradise or Hell as predestined.

Hell is a place that Allah created for those that do not follow his teachings, and laws. This 'hell' is the ultimate disgrace, and humiliation. It it written that in hell you will burn and be condemned in fire. Watching over you in Hell are mighty angels that Allah has created. They are translated as the 'guardians of the fire', there are 19 of them. There is no 'devil'.

Paradise does not differ from our heaven too much. It's a beautiful place of rest and happiness.

You are expected to follow the koran, as it is your guidance to life. It should be used quite strictly. When you are presented with difficulty or turmoil, you are expected to resort to the Koran for guidance.

Yes, there is a 10 commandments concept. Christian and Muslim share almost identical "10 commandments", although the muslim teachings is perhaps a little more clear and well definied.

Someone else better answer this one, I wouldn't be able to remember them all. I know thers is the Feast of Sacrifice, Ramadan which is the Month of Fasting, and a holiday at the end which is the Holiday of Fast Breaking. There is also a night of ascension I think it's called, where Muhammed visited the 7 heavens in Jerusalem. I'm pretty sure there are more.

-----

As I said, I'm not Muslim so I might have a few things wrong... but this is what I remember. I'm sure someone will correct my mistakes, if any.

J
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
johnoz
/OO=[][]=OO\

Not a muslim myself but lived in an secular country where majority was Muslim (sunni):

Quote:

Questions:

Salah or Namaz times.
http://www.islamicacademy.org/pdf/Toronto_CA.pdf
http://www.jannah.org/sisters/marr.html
http://www.islamworld.net/heavenhell.htm
http://www.submission.org/YES/YES-19.html
http://islam-usa.com/e70.htm
http://www.islamicart.com/library/enc/holidays.html
johnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
UncleJ
Average Homeboy

Cool, thanks.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Bavaria
Southern Beirut

Send a message via MSN to Bavaria Send a message via Yahoo to Bavaria
Quote:

Questions:

Thanks.
ok a muslim is in the house!

yes we do pray 5 times a day, it all depends on the timing of the surise and sunset and science, its all about planet timing...when

no, u do not have an arranged marriage, my parents didnt and mind u, they arent that younge, they are in their 50's, getting married arranged wise isnt against islamic law, but if one spouce refuses to get married, the marriage is not valid! they have both to agree, there is no force in Islam, you have to believe in it....

the heaven and hell concept: yes there is hell, and there is heaven, a lot pf people will go to hell, and spend time there, and some will leave there and go to heaven, mind its very painful when it comes to "conversations" of the prophet and the imams after him, and btw, islam isnt small, u have shias and sunni, mind u i am shia....sunnis dont believe in imams, they believe in the friends of the prophet....im sidetracking here....but i think i answered ur questions....

how strict is it? well u have to pray 5 times a day, and u do have to fast in ramadan, give to the poor, and respect ur woman....giving her a spanking is an option u cant drink, u cant eat pork, or any empurities and u can not wear gold!
there is alot more forbiden things which are called "haram"

10 commandments are likes of christians, like killing, rape, adultry, blasphomy (believeing god has a son, and such things, or multiple gods), steeling, leing....back-biting

significat holidays: hajj and ramadan...... the birthday of the prophets and imams (shia point of view)

anyhow, visit www.shiachat.com ...... and ask all you want there are sunnis on there as well, so there arent any biased opinions, a lot of reliable sources where shias and sunnis argue!!!
Bavaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
Gullwing
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Gullwing Send a message via Yahoo to Gullwing
I hope this helps in shedding some more light.

Questions:

Yes it is true. Proper muslim prayer is 5 times a day. The specific times vary daily ( by a few minutes ) depending on the sunset/sunrise. As for why, the best way I can answer is by metaphore : Imagine that you shower 5 times a day, would there be any dirt left on your body ? Prayer washes your sins away and brings you closer to God and heaven. Also, it forces you to wake up early and be more energetic. When you go to a doctor, you are prescribed a medicine. Prayer is what God prescribes for humanity.

No, arranged marriages have nothing to do with religion. It is an old cultural practice. You cannot force two ppl to marry.

Yes there is heaven and hell. A muslim goes to hell if his bad deeds are more than his good deeds and God doesnt forgive him. He goes to heaven if his good deeds are more than his bad deeds and God is satisfied with him.
The good/bad deeds are based on a points system. For one bad deed you receive 1 bad point. For one good deed you receive 10 good points. If you do a bad deed and ask God for forgiveness soon after , you get the bad point cancelled. If you had the intention of doing something bad but you dont do it, you get 10 good points. And if you had the intention of doing something good but you dont do it you also get 10 good points. In the end , the points are tallied and whatever score is more determines if you go to heaven or hell ( of course with God's will as well. )

Each muslim is expected to follow the religion to the best of his ability, and to thrive to be the best he can. Islam is morals first , and then practice second. Being a sunni, I have a different concept. I dont follow imams or sheikhs. Only the Koran is between me and God and only the koran can tell me what to do. Also, sunni islam tries to mimic the way of life of the prophet and follow his teachings, but the authenticity of many of attributed teachings cannot be verified 100%, so you fall back on the koran.

Yes there , same 10 commandments as jews/christians. with a bit of variety like mentioned before ( no pork, no alcohol, men cannot wear gold, etc..)

significant holidays are the birth of the prophet, end of fasting in ramadan , eid el adha.

P.S: On the issue of dogs. A dog's saliva is considered unclean. Therefore , if you have a dog , it cannot be in the prayer area, and you must change clothes and shower before prayer. Dogs are not hated. All animals and plants are to be respected, even pigs. There is a story that says a prostitute gave water to a thirsty dog and God forgave all her sins.

Any more questions feel free to ask here.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
A~G
Car Payment Free

Send a message via MSN to A~G
moved post to thread: "RELIGIONS"

A~G

Man who run in front of car get tired.
Man who run behind car get exhausted.

Last edited by A~G; 01-22-2006 at 12:03 PM.
A~G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

What I learned in high school world religions...

All religions have a common goal: to explain life after death. But because no one has ever gone there and were able to come back and tell what really happens, all religion is a speculation.

With SO many religions out there, but only one right answer, the majority of religions out there would be fundamentally wrong.

So- which story do I believe the most? Christianity- but I don't go to church or pray every day etc. just because I cannot be 100% sure it's the right one, and therefore cannot justify spending 100% effort in being christian.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
A~G
Car Payment Free

Send a message via MSN to A~G
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
What I learned in high school world religions...

All religions have a common goal: to explain life after death. But because no one has ever gone there and were able to come back and tell what really happens, all religion is a speculation.

With SO many religions out there, but only one right answer, the majority of religions out there would be fundamentally wrong.

So- which story do I believe the most? Christianity- but I don't go to church or pray every day etc. just because I cannot be 100% sure it's the right one, and therefore cannot justify spending 100% effort in being christian.

exactly. i'm gonna delete my posts and start a seperate thread... don't wanna hijack this one.

A~G

Man who run in front of car get tired.
Man who run behind car get exhausted.
A~G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #14
Betray
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Betray Send a message via AIM to Betray Send a message via MSN to Betray
where did this "book" come from? was it found like the bible?
and is it true there is something in the book, where all muslims go armed and kill people? someone was telling me that and i claim BS on them :p
sorry if my questions are ignorent, but im very curious aswell, i just recently learned a bit of Buddhism and found it intresting.
Betray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #15
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
as far as i know, the quarran was recited word for word to the prophet, mohammed, and eventually it was written down. I dont think Mohammed wrote it down, i think it was passed down word for word a few generations. look it up though

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, cat delete, vance hines csone, YEC racing tune
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: