Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-11-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
southcounty13
1st Gear Newbie

offset question

I am pretty sure this has been covered before but, could someone explain offset to me? I am looking to go from my current 17's to 18's what would be the correct offset?
southcounty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

It's just the internet, don't be afraid to search it. Does anyone else ever have to research things for school and work? Anyways.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm

If you read that, you will understand that offset is independent of wheel diameter.

And if you want to know what offsets will work on your car, you have to first tell me the year of the car, suspension setup and wheel width. I'll tell you then what offsets and tire sizes you can run.
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:31 PM   #3
southcounty13
1st Gear Newbie

Mystikal. I currently own a 1987 325ic. I am running 215/40/17x7. I want to go to 18x7.5. I also have adjustable air ride. What is your suggestion on offset if I want the tires to sit inside of the wheel well.
southcounty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Cabrio, so you have the lower arches. Air ride?! Never seen that on an E30, but okalie dokalie.

For a 7.5" wide wheel running 225/35/18, you'll want an offset in the range of ET23-ET27. The closer to ET25 the better.

For a 7.5" wide wheel running 215/35/18, you'll want an offset in the range of ET20-ET30. The closer to ET20 the better.

Try to get it in the ET23-27 range so you can run the 225/35/18 tire size. Juding from the air ride you don't push the car hard so the extra grip wouldn't really matter, but hey, it'll look better.

Good luck.
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: