Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-02-2002, 02:58 AM   #1
stanmo
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to stanmo
Roll Cage

Hey guys,

First of all, Happy New Year! Anyway, my friend wants to have a roll cage made for his car. Does anyone knows where in TO can he get one? Do you know how much it should cost around? Thanks!
Old 01-02-2002, 11:22 AM   #2
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Roll cages...

On the area of roll cages, first of all, I have to ask, why?

Not that I'm against them; I have a full roll cage in my car. Then again, I race with it, and run multiple driving schools with it, so it's pretty much a given.

In order to get the proper cage for what you want to do with the car, I need to know a little about what your plans are for the car.

Will it be a track car, drag car, street car etc? Or all three? Is cost a factor, do you need access to the back seat etc, etc.

A couple of other places that do roll cages as well include Mantis Racing in Oakville, and CSC Racing up in Newmarket.

Raven / Bavarian did excellent work on mine, but I've heard excellent comments about Ronny at O'Brien Motorsports as well. I'd highly recommend either one of those to start.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 12:04 PM   #3
stanmo
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to stanmo
Hi guys!

Thanks for the reply. My friend wants a roll cage because he always track his car. He wanted a roll cage after he saw some cars got badly damanged for rolling over! Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2002, 02:16 PM   #4
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Roll cages in track cars...

Okay, a fair enough idea.

What type of car is it, and how far does he want to go with a cage?

A half cage will provide decent protection in the event of a roll over, and will allow the driver to use harnesses etc on the track safely. As well, it will help to stiffen up the rear half of the chassis, and allow somewhat better performance.

A half cage also has the benefit of not being intrusive into the daily driveability of the car. If you don't need access to the back seat, then a half cage allows easy access to the front seats, and you can generally keep the A/C, stereo, seats, carpets etc without having any comfort issues (no cross braces to climb over etc). If the car is going to be primarily a street car with some track days on it during the year, I'd suggest a half cage as the most cost effective way to go.

Once you go to a full roll cage, your car tends to see mostly track duty, as a daily driver it becomes a bit of a PITA. I'd recommend staying away from full cages unless he's VERY serious about track events.

Who is your friend, and what events does he attend the track with (Trackmasters, BMW Club etc)? If it's BMW Club events, it's quite likely that I know him.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: