Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-16-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
kco325
1st Gear Newbie

Toe-in adjustment in rear wheels...

A recent accident bent my rear subframe (when someone drove into my quarter panel / rim) and when the alignment shop was trying to align it, they decided since it was lowered there was too much camber... so the guy said he notched out something in the subframe and filled something else in, so that toe-in could be adjusted in the rear, and camber would be reduced a bit closer to stock.
I don't entirely know what he did exactly because I haven't had a chance to get down there and drill him about it yet seeing as how he still has my car, but I think (read:hope) it ended up being a good thing.
On the bright side, they got me brand spankin new subframe bushings so that can't hurt (I wasn't looking foreward to changing those).
kco325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Yeah, I was just going to say that sub frame bushings will fix that toe in, in the rear. Need to do the same with mine, especially since it is lowered.

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #3
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

Good luck
Old 03-21-2004, 12:48 AM   #4
kco325
1st Gear Newbie

I finally got my baby back. If I knew how to do smiley faces, I'd put down about 600. I've probably put on 3-400 km in the past two days that it was returned.

Here's an update for those who are interested; I talked to the alignment guy and what he did was he made new notches in the crossmember in order to mount the trailing arms differently, reducing the camber to a (more) reasonable amount. I definitely noticed less camber than my buddy's 325 (same as mine, same springs) but handling wise it's hard to compare (different tires, spaced much farther out on his).
Tire wear should be much better. It also allows for toe-in to be adjusted at any time for the rear wheels, which is apparently impossible stock. I don't know how he did this exactly, but I'm going to find out more.
Handling is great, I can't tell if that's because of the notching or because of the new back tires or what... but I would recommend it if anyone has their crossmembers out, because it only cost me 1 1/2 hours of work (75 bucks CDN) once the piece was off the car, and I think it'll save me more than that in tire wear.
kco325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:12 AM   #5
John Hubbert
Stuck in 2nd Gear

Send a message via AIM to John Hubbert
Thumbs up

Here is a good site that may help explain rear camber !
http://www.e30m3performance.com/inst..._sub/index.htm

Zexxy 325 iS
John Hubbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: