Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-01-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
boss
2nd Gear Member

Suspensions

I would like to lower my car, but don't know what are the best options. The car is a 98 coupe, and my budget is about $1,200. If anyone can advise what is a good set up for spring/shock etc or if coilovers is the better way to go. Any advice is appreciated. Pics would be nice as well.

Thanks
boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
WASABI
OG

You've got a lot of options around that price range. Contact the sponsors here for some pricing on FK/Bilstein coilovers (height adjustable only), might get a tad over $1200 though, like $1300-$1400. For just spring/shock combo, I'd recommend H&R with Bilstein.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:23 PM   #3
boss
2nd Gear Member

what is the price difference between the H&R with Bilstein shocks/springs, compared to the FK/Bilstein coils? would I need anything extra for either? ex camber kit? Thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 07:43 AM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
I guess it depends on what do you plan on doing with your car, do you want to lower the car for performance or looks. Do you have big wheels? Do you need the option of adjusting the height of your car?

A camber kit generally isn't needed unless you're really dumping your car. If you're doing something like a 2" drop you'll be fine without camber adjusters, unless you're tracking your car.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:25 PM   #5
WASABI
OG

The price difference are probably around $300-$400. I think they both perform well (Spring/Shock combo and Coilovers). It just depends if you want adjustability for the reasons Thinair pointed out.

I'm still debating whether to go coilovers. I really want them to fine-tune the height I want, but I've had coilovers before, and once I've set them to the height I want, that was that, I never touched them again. But, when you up-size your wheels, then you might want to adjust them again. But what puts me off spring/shock combos is that the lowering height is "uneven" front and rear, but there are ways to get around that I guess. I'm lost, but I'm looking into Ground Control coilovers, FK, and Bilstein PSS (last choice because of the spacer issue).
Old 03-02-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
boss
2nd Gear Member

thanks for your help guys...
Old 03-02-2004, 11:32 PM   #7
bart320i
6th Gear Member

yeah my car is a little uneven. I'd like to know how to fix that, if I can't I'm gonna go for the OBX sleeves.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:44 AM   #8
boss
2nd Gear Member

I'm leaning towards the H&R sport and Bilstein shocks. Anyone have this set up who can post pic, or add comments?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2004, 06:44 PM   #9
WASABI
OG

Quote:
Originally posted by bart320i
yeah my car is a little uneven. I'd like to know how to fix that, if I can't I'm gonna go for the OBX sleeves.
I "raised" the rear a bit by adding two rubber spring seats (they look like very large rubber washers). I've heard you actually buy ones in the desired size.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: