Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-22-2004, 01:45 AM   #1
Fluidity
2nd Gear Member

Alternator/Battery Issue

Hi Guys,

Today when I started my car I noticed the battery light on. I drove around for a while when I noticed my dash lights started to dim. When I opened my window(electric) the dash dimmed even more.

The question is has anyone experienced this? Could it be the battery or is it the Alternator?

Does anyone recommend a mechanic thats fair in the west end?

Or can Spud Boy change it for me?

Thanks Guys
Stan
Fluidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:37 AM   #2
ChahalzBMR
6th Gear Member

It's your alternator. The samething happend to me a while back. The battery lights stays on and when the car starts to lose power all the lights on the display come on and all of a sudden the car shuts off. That is your alternator.....
ChahalzBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:42 AM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Does your car start ok?

I'll say it's the alternator, but then again there is a slight chance that it's the battery not holding it's charge properly.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
Fluidity
2nd Gear Member

The car was starting fine yesterday. I havent tried it today as of yet. Is an alternator easy to get at? Can I do it myself? What did you guys pay for the replacement, I just want to make sure my mechanic doesnt rip me off.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Its the alternator. Is the battery light on dimley?

Happened to me. Dont drive too far.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:29 PM   #6
Fluidity
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the battery light is on dimly.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:55 PM   #7
Alwysfresh

Take it to Charlie...he's the best. His maxbimmer nick is bimmersport, or call him 416-949-5701 and say you're from max. He's near square one.
Alwysfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:57 PM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Well, you have a few options for your alternator, get a new one, get a rebuilt one, get a used one, or get yours rebuilt, in order of cost.

A new one and usually a rebuilt one will have a warrenty of some kind. A used one won't (for more then a few days).

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, get a new one. If you're a little strapped for cash get a rebuilt one, or get yours rebuilt. If you're selling the car soon and don't care, get a used one.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 09:16 PM   #9
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Quote:
Originally posted by Fluidity
Yes, the battery light is on dimly.
Ya man. Your alternators had it.

Mine went in the summer. Picked up a used one of a maxmember for 50 bucks. I was quoted 180 to rebuild my pooched one.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:33 PM   #10
crazyvadim
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyvadim
If you work on cars yourself then i would suggest rebuilding it yourself,its pretty easy depending on whats wrong with it otherwise just get it rebuilt or buy a new one,i wouldnt suggest used alternators.....dont deal with them at my shop,i only replace em.
crazyvadim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: