Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-19-2004, 11:42 PM   #1
snd84318i
3rd Gear Member

Angry power problem

yesterday the car starting ackting funny .15 mins into my drive to work the car lost its power . pulled over ,sounded like it was choking then it ceared upand drove fine . on why way back home ,almost here it happened again .i ajusted the idle control unit screw . opened it some and in seconds it ran normal.today ran the same ,good, on the way home it didnt stop running but i couldnt get it past 3000 rpms if i pushed the gas peddle down for more power it will slow down and lose rpms . im not ure what will cause this . i read haynes and it says a few tings air filter clogged . mines a k@n just put in 2 mnths ago . gas fitler not yet change vacume leak ,dont know were to check for that, afm looks stock . any help guys thanks
snd84318i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:29 AM   #2
dansciol
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to dansciol
I would start with a fuel pressure check, has the filter ever been replaced?
How many miles?
dansciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:42 AM   #3
BimmerKris
3rd Gear Member

Every so often mine will idle like shit for no apperent reason. I disconnect the battery for a couple minutes and let the comp reset itself. then it runs fine. but what your talking about sounds like bad gas to me. That happens every so often too.
BimmerKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:02 AM   #4
snd84318i
3rd Gear Member

the filter im not sure car was parked for awhile though . i was thinking gas too , i try to go to the same station (hess) ive put in redline injection cleaner for to gas fulls but not on last one ive always put in 87 but in last to tanks ive put in 89 . miles it only has 123000 but not sure howit was treated . as for as i know im the 3rd owner last one says any parts and work was done by dealer . before this car ran fine pulled hard and fast .
Old 02-20-2004, 02:11 AM   #5
felixthecat
Was touched by Micheal

Send a message via MSN to felixthecat
sounds like a fuel pump going.........
felixthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:20 AM   #6
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

damn hess, that's still around. Didn't know that my car had a similar problem but only when the engine was cold. I would say it's age and milage on motor, also at that time my fuel pump was going. How much gas was in your tank? Was it less 1/2 tank full? Were you going up hill and/or around a curve or taking a turn. If you answered yes to atleast one of these questions then I'd say its your fuel pump. I told my parents that's what it was when I first got my car. They never believed me :rolles eyes: until they finaly went.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:21 AM   #7
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

Can the MAF or AFM cause this to occur too?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: