Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-15-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

Arrow problem... car starts fine wont hold idle

im cnfused as to what the problem may be, my car is hibernating for the winter but i start it every week. well today i went to start it and it turns over fine but wont hold idle, it just shuts off. it i lay on the gas it will keep running, but again shuts off as soon as i let go of the gas, anyone have this problem??? any idea what it could be, i thought i heard something about an idle control valve or other, could this be it??
Old 02-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Al.. You prolly have a lot of moisture built up in Something, most likely a result from the last time you started the car then shut it down. Your must be getting a condensation build up that happens when you let the car sit for the winter.. that being said i know I'm going to have a hard time starting mine when the spring time comes.. but i still think it's better not run the car till i'm going to actually drive it for atleast 5 "al block".

if you really want to run it.. i would place a small heater blowing on the engine for a hour or so to warm everything up before you try and crank it over.

Did you use a fuel stablizer? cause it could be a lack of fuel or octane

Last edited by Slowered318; 02-15-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Could be cold weather messing with the rubber boots and causing a vaccuum leak. Do the blow torch test.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
SebSter
6th Gear Member

on that post a while back about storing a car for winter? didnt everyone agree that its better not to start the car at all until the spring when youre actually gonna drive it again?

Old car 1990 325ix. Current car 2000 540i.
SebSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

He must be out in the garage trying to get it running
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
jeremy
6th Gear Member

it IS better not to run the car......however if you are HORNY like al and have to run it, do what slowered suggested. i would still keep fuel stabilizer in it, considering how little it runs..

as for the idle problem, when it gets really cold e30's tend to have this problem.....try starting it and keep your foot on the gas for awhile (dont rev it too high), 5 mins or so..... if the problem isn't corrected.....you could disconnect your battery for 10-30 mins allowing the comp to reset and start over..... if this still doesn;t work, then check your icv...

jer
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:12 PM   #7
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
It has to be the cold weather, I have replaced my ICV and cleaned out my throttle body and the car still hunts at idle. It sounds funny with my exhaust because it is really prenounced.
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

he he yes im horny, and i like to start it once a week cause i thought it would be better, i had a bitch of a time starting it last spring after it sat for 6 months. i had to do the same thing hold the gas down for about 5 minutes once the temp needle was normal it ran on its own.

slowered i didnt put any stabilizer in the tank i guess i should then, the weird thing is it was nice last weekend so i took it for a boot around the block, this week its breezing and it doesnt want to run on its own.

mystikal, i have a brand new intake boot, think i should change it know and try it out?? i probably have both a vacuum leak and condensation build up like slowered said somewhere.

the thing is i need to go get the emmissions done before febuary to renew my licence plate sticker and then put it back in hibernation.

jay, adrianos 325e does the same thing in the cold with the idle, i believe i read somewhere that the E model motors have an extra cold start plug or something which could be the problem

think i might try the lay on the gas method, then get some stabilizer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: