Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-31-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
328is_Perf
5th Gear Member

Another E36 2 Door Window Problem

OK... i got a 96 328is...

the problem is on the drivers side window

it goes down fine like its supposed to...

the up is the problem

when i push the button half way (not automatic up) it goes up, but after 1 sec or so, it lowers .5 inch and stops (anywhere it might be)

if i use automatic up (button pushed all the way) it does the same thing, unless i hold the button (pushed all the way) until it goes up

Its extremely annoying... what could be wrong?
328is_Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 08:56 PM   #2
SUPERCHARGED
5th Gear Member

i have the same problem with my 328is,

i just got used to it. just thing i never had an automatic option. i just puch it down untill it goes all the way up.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
Soldo
6th Gear Member

the track is gettin worn, i've fixed the same problem but in a different spot, TWICE already, and i have to do it AGAIN!
its such a pain in the ass!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:03 AM   #4
SUPERCHARGED
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
the track is gettin worn, i've fixed the same problem but in a different spot, TWICE already, and i have to do it AGAIN!
its such a pain in the ass!
how do you fix it?
Old 02-01-2004, 02:45 PM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
E36 Lessons of the day .... Power Windows:

The problem is with the motor shaft.

-- Lesson 1 --

This is how the motor works:

There is a magent on the spindle that determines when the window motor has stopped turning. When it figures out the motor has stopped turning it cuts the power to the motor... (this is how it determines when the window is fully up, or if there is an object blocking the window... such as a child's arm.)

The magnet has fallen (slipped) lower down the shaft so it thinks the motor is done turning all the time. You'll need to take off the liner for your door, take the screws off the motor and push it aside... in a little tiny hole in the bottom left corner where you can see the shaft in the door. Shine a light in there and you'll see the magnet.. use a tiny flat head and push the magnet back up. For extra precaution (what I've done)... put some contact cement on the tip of your screw driver and put some cement on the shaft below the magnet so it can't slip down again.

I can provide some diagrams and better instructions if you need.

-- Lesson 2 --

What Soldomatic is talking about is also a common problem with E36's... warn window tracks. It causes too much friction on the window, so it thinks there is an object blocking the window, so it stops. On the motor harness there is a butterly bracket which you can adjust with a wrench for the window shafts---90% of the time, this will adjust for the warn tracks.. if it doesn't, you'll need to replace them.
Before you replace though--- try using white grease.. (go to your local cdn tire, pep boys, etc... make sure it's WHITE GREASE --- that's the name of it).. and put it on the window tracks with a q-tip. Use a lot. wind the window up and wipe off any grease that's on the window with soapy water.

** note: you can usually tell the difference between the two problems using common sense. If the window stops in the same point(s) while winding up.. the problem is friction in certain points in the track. In which case you use white grease, or adjust the butterfly bracket.. or worst case scenario--replace the tracks. If it stops all the time on it's way up.. (i.e. moves up 3 inches, drops 1 inch.. --press button again-- moves up 3 inches, drops 1 inch... etc.etc.) then it's the magnet on the motor shaft.

-- Lesson 3 --

As for never having a one-touch feature, it's because your motor's timing has went off track. You need to reset the relay... do this by:

1) push down buttonall the way.. until window is down, hold button down for 10 seconds. (this sets the low)...

2) push upbutton---wind window up.. holding button down, not letting go... when window is up, keep button down for 10 seconds again. Ta-da.. your relay has been reset and your one-touch will work once again. (of course you can't do this until you resolve the problem with the magnet on your motor shaft first.)

----

supercharged.. you can bring your E36 over to my place, I'll fix it for ya if you're not comfortable cracking open your interior and playing with your motor... (I'm in Etobicoke)... otherwise, good luck.

and for anyone else.. as I said, if you need diagrams or more detailed instructions, just ask.

J
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:40 PM   #6
SUPERCHARGED
5th Gear Member

thanx for the great rightup, Justin

i have the second problem on the list, i think my track is worn out. cause it also makes a screeching sound when the windows going up. so the the friction is stopping it. now i get it. ill try the white stuff .

thanx
Old 02-01-2004, 07:02 PM   #7
328is_Perf
5th Gear Member

Ok, this is what it does... on its way up it screeches... and it goes up 3 inches and down 1 inch (which happens around when window is half way up, repeatedly after halfway point)....whats your solution?

do you have any diagrams? i would really appreciate it!

Thanks

The ONE and ONLY TRUE ///M3:
E36 ///M3 GTR
Old 02-01-2004, 08:16 PM   #8
Soldo
6th Gear Member

DAMMIT!
i think my tracks need replacing!
Its already the 3rd time its busted, just in a different spot!
Has anyone replaced the tracks on their window, i HATE working in the door, the space is so small i can barely get my hands in there!
Old 02-01-2004, 11:50 PM   #9
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
... I doubt it's the track that broke again... unlike the lifter mechanism on your sunroof, the tracks (rails) for your window are metal, they should not bend out of shape so easily... I'll bet it's just the butterly bracket that needs adjusting...
Old 02-02-2004, 12:51 AM   #10
Soldo
6th Gear Member

It might be, ya, it is sorry, i got confused with the butterfly brackets and the track, its the butterfly's that bent, would that be a tough thing to replace!
Old 02-02-2004, 12:54 AM   #11
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Ya kevs window is knackered. Porr guy hasta open his door in the winter to use the parking pass.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:00 AM   #12
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
Ya kevs window is knackered. Porr guy hasta open his door in the winter to use the parking pass.
i know its sad!
Whats even worse, is most of the time for DRIVE THROUGH fast food, i roll down the rear drivers side window (THANK GOD i have 4dr.)
Its really pathetic, gotta fix it as soon as the weather warms up, but it just keeps on breaking on me!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:25 PM   #13
Justin e36
---

Soldomatic:

butterfly brackets bent... my drivers side is bent too... it keeps pushing OUTWARDS as the window rolls up. (doesn't push the window.. it pushed my interior panel a bit...)

I've managed to adjust this as best as I could with the brackets... but sooner or later I will probably have to replace.

For anyone who's interest in what we're talking about. This is the butterly bracket and the adjustment bolts.

This is a pic of the window adjuster... (you loosen the bolt, move the adjuster higher or lower, then tighten. This will adjust your window forward or back.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adjuster.jpg (35.3 KB, 316 views)
Old 02-04-2004, 11:26 PM   #14
Justin e36
---

butterfly adjustment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windowunclipped.jpg (48.9 KB, 304 views)
Old 02-05-2004, 03:24 AM   #15
328is_Perf
5th Gear Member

what about the magnet problem

The ONE and ONLY TRUE ///M3:
E36 ///M3 GTR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: