Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-27-2004, 04:43 AM   #1
e46it
5th Gear Member

how to change fog light bulbs on coupe

does anyone know how to do this??

2004 BMW 325i Touring SGM
2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000|1992 JDM Civic SiR RHD Black
2000 BMW M5 Avus Blue (GONE)
2002 BMW 325i Touring TVM (GONE)
1994 BMW 325i Saloon Black (GONE)
e46it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:40 PM   #2
Bliss
Administrator

There are 2 ways of changing them on my car. One way is through the front, by unscrewing the fog assembly, and the other way is through the back, behind the bumper. It looks as if you can't access it through the front by looking at your sig( I may be wrong). By doing this behind the bumper, you need to first turn your wheels either to the left or to the right depending on which side you do first. This gives you access to the wheel well. There are 4 screws. 2 that you will see right away, and 2 underneath the bumper. You need to unscrew these to pry back the piece of plastic in the wheel well. You will then see behind the bumper, and will have access to your foglight assembly. May be a little tight to work on though. I'm still not sure if there is an easier way of doing this on the facelifted e46's. Good luck. Hope this helped.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
e46it
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bliss
There are 2 ways of changing them on my car. One way is through the front, by unscrewing the fog assembly, and the other way is through the back, behind the bumper. It looks as if you can't access it through the front by looking at your sig( I may be wrong). By doing this behind the bumper, you need to first turn your wheels either to the left or to the right depending on which side you do first. This gives you access to the wheel well. There are 4 screws. 2 that you will see right away, and 2 underneath the bumper. You need to unscrew these to pry back the piece of plastic in the wheel well. You will then see behind the bumper, and will have access to your foglight assembly. May be a little tight to work on though. I'm still not sure if there is an easier way of doing this on the facelifted e46's. Good luck. Hope this helped.
thanks, but i'm not trying to change it on the facelifted model. i also have a coupe and that is the one i want to change

Old 01-27-2004, 11:10 PM   #4
e46it
5th Gear Member

here is what i found on E46Fanatics, i hope this helps others

1. Start by squeezing (compressing) the long lateral piece on one side and pull away from car. Work your way across in a similar manner. Set this piece aside.

2. Now you should be able to see two phillips head screws securing the fog light case and laterals to the front of your car. Remove these.

3. Grab the fog light laterals and slide them towards the fog light (as indicated in the picture to the right). They should move a noticeable amount and then pull out. This may require a little force, but they will come out.

4. Grab the fog light laterals and slide them towards the fog light (as indicated in the picture to the right). They should move a noticeable amount and then pull out. This may require a little force, but they will come out.

5. The picture to the right shows how to remove the stock bulbs. First push down on the clip and then slide the bulb out. BE SURE TO NEVER TOUCH THE GLASS OF ANY BULB!! The oil from your fingers could cause the bulb to burst when lit.

6. Replace with your new bulb and reinstall all the pieces you took out. Pay attention to this little pin as you must first put this in before the foglight case can be reinstalled. You will know exactly what I am talking about when you have yours in your hand.

Old 01-29-2004, 03:21 AM   #5
Bliss
Administrator

Yes, thats the easiest way to do it if it's a non-facelifted E46 coupe.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:04 AM   #6
sUpeD Up BiMmEr
3rd Gear Member

In my opinion going through the back is easier because basically u take a total of 5 to like 7 screws out and there is no playing around wit nothing the plastic piece pops off and there is the whole assemble wit easy access to twist and pull the socket out i suggest taking off the wheel since it takes 5 extra minutes and you have no hard times putting the plastic back on
i just did this today my piaa bulbs blew which were supposed to be the best
Pirelli tires w/ ,18inch custom model 71 bmw rims,ACS pedal set inc dead footrest ,ACS shifter and Short shifter kit ,ACS E brake,ACS front badge, Bilstein pss 9 coilover kit , Kamei eyelids, Tint, Viper Pager Alarm , Custom intake, Red Calipers, shaved trunk and door keyholes,oem clears all around, piaa bulbs all around and interior.
sUpeD Up BiMmEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:37 PM   #7
Jammasterj
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jammasterj
Is your bulb burnt out or are you putting a different bulb in?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:37 PM   #8
e46it
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jammasterj
Is your bulb burnt out or are you putting a different bulb in?
burnt out

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: