Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-30-2003, 02:29 AM   #1
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Upcoming Turbo Project help/parts

Got my hands on a S4 KKK03 Turbo. can someone please give me a complete parts list(includin gagues pods etc) again. am on really really tight budget so am goin to buildin up parts in my basement until i have all the parts. I heard somethin about using 524td Manifold. does anyone know where i can find one and will it fit the m20 perfect. and will my motor internally stock, be able to handle the power from the turbo or i will need internal mods. am aimin for about 220wrhp.

any info will help execially websites/model number etc...
Old 12-31-2003, 01:16 AM   #2
328is_Perf
5th Gear Member

sounds interesting ... im just posting to keep it fresh...

The ONE and ONLY TRUE ///M3:
E36 ///M3 GTR
328is_Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:19 AM   #3
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

220rwhp is attainable..just make sure u save a lot of $$$ for the tuner, and dyno time.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:20 AM   #4
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
220rwhp is attainable..just make sure u save a lot of $$$ for the tuner, and dyno time.
just hope i dont spend over 800$ in parts..
Old 12-31-2003, 01:30 AM   #5
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by ZiMMie
...?

oh, btw about the manifold..u can turn the stock M20 manifold upside down for it to work, and get a custom flange (pronounced with a short A sound, like FLAN-JUH lol..)made or something (heard that from randy)

you'll need a fuel pressure regulator, does that turbo have an internal wastegate?

gauge pods arent entirely necessary..save the small stuff for last, like the a/f gauge, and turbo boost gauge...u can always get those.

So..you already have:

Turbo
Manifold

You need:

Flange on the manifold to fit your turbo (t-spec can prolly make one, or randy can..costs around 400 i think)
Possibly a wastegate
Fuel Pressure regulator
Piping
Intercooler (use a stock audi or mitsubishi one since u arent running high boost)
you need a downpipe, probably 2.5"..but i think a 3" downpipe might be better

AND..a lot of $ because dyno tuning ISNT cheap.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Old 12-31-2003, 01:35 AM   #6
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
...?

oh, btw about the manifold..u can turn the stock M20 manifold upside down for it to work, and get a custom flange (pronounced with a short A sound, like FLAN-JUH lol..)made or something (heard that from randy)

you'll need a fuel pressure regulator, does that turbo have an internal wastegate?

gauge pods arent entirely necessary..save the small stuff for last, like the a/f gauge, and turbo boost gauge...u can always get those.

So..you already have:

Turbo
Manifold

You need:

Flange on the manifold to fit your turbo (t-spec can prolly make one, or randy can..costs around 400 i think)
Possibly a wastegate
Fuel Pressure regulator
Piping
Intercooler (use a stock audi or mitsubishi one since u arent running high boost)
you need a downpipe, probably 2.5"..but i think a 3" downpipe might be better

AND..a lot of $ because dyno tuning ISNT cheap.

For the wastegate and Fuel Pressure regulator i cant find one that is made for e30s. is there a company that makes a universal one for all cars?
Old 12-31-2003, 01:42 AM   #7
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
For the wastegate and Fuel Pressure regulator i cant find one that is made for e30s. is there a company that makes a universal one for all cars?
vortech makes to pressure regulator...universal i think....wastegate is for the turbo..not the car

Old 12-31-2003, 01:57 AM   #8
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

oh, u might need injectors too

Old 12-31-2003, 02:35 AM   #9
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
...?

Getting good grasshopper... couldn't have said it better myself. Bump up the fuel pressure with a B&M adjustable fuel regulator and get a Cartech/Vortech FMU. You might have to upgrade your intank fuel pump to a (so I hear) E28 535i pump. Stock injectors will probably be okay if you don't run over 7psi.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 02:36 AM   #10
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD

Getting good grasshopper... couldn't have said it better myself. Bump up the fuel pressure with a B&M adjustable fuel regulator and get a Cartech/Vortech FMU. You might have to upgrade your intank fuel pump to a (so I hear) E28 535i pump. Stock injectors will probably be okay if you don't run over 7psi.
so how much psi do i need to run to get 220rwhp?
Old 12-31-2003, 02:45 AM   #11
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

every PSI is roughly 10-15hp..im not sure on ur turbo, but thats what i been understanding...but im sure thats 10-15crank hp..

so our M20s got 170 stock... say 13psi x 7psi to maintain stock injectors, is 91hp..crank.

170+91 = 261hp at the crank..friction loss is 15%..so..

261hpx.15 = 39hp

261hp-39hp (friction loss) = 221hp

you should be at your goal with 7hp...give or take 10hp u wont feel a difference....adding PSI isnt the only way to add power. you generally have a stock head. one thing to improve power is a throttle body being bored out, or getting a light weight flywheel increases your power being put to the ground, and less friction loss. I'd suggest getting a stage 1 clutch once yours goes..and light flywheel at the time. I dont know how to stock diff will hold up...but put some redline oil in there, and make SURE when u run the turbo you use really good oil. Oil is what cools the turbo too, and the install should be done right...since its custom, all the placing should be good since gravity is what gives the turbo the oil...small things like blow off valves, gauge pods, turbo timers can all be added later. concentrate on the essentials first if your on a budget and try not to get sidetracked with accessories.

Old 12-31-2003, 02:50 AM   #12
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

thanx jon didnt know u were that smart. lol
the only B&M adjustable fuel regulator i can find on ebay is for integra/civic. will it be same for the m20?
Old 12-31-2003, 02:59 AM   #13
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

I'm guessing its universal..the Holley one is..since they have no specific application..because of custom kits, and prebuilt kits..etc.

it doesnt attatch to the motor itself so i guess it wouldnt matter...i think it goes somewhere near the fuel rails...

heres the holley one...

click here

Old 12-31-2003, 09:16 PM   #14
808BMW
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Good luck. Put aside AT LEAST $1000-$2000 for a turbo. $40 well spent is Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Read it through and you dshould have a good idea on turbocharging.
808BMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: