Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-28-2003, 02:37 PM   #1
E36pilot
1st Gear Newbie

Traction Control "ON or OFF"

Traction control is automatically ON in the E36 M3's. Now I have found that when at the dragstripo my times are BETTER with it off. Under daily driving conditions I also find that the handling and control is ALSO better with it OFF. I mean I drift ALL THE TIME, the car slides around corners with ease and under seemingly easy control at that. The only downfall is I have gone through my new set of Brgdestone Potenza SO3's with only 7,000 miles on them (rear). I might be able to get an addition 2K from them, but the traction control button can be expensive. I honestly didn't know that the light ON disabled it for probably the first month of me owning the car, one day I decided turn it on and realized it was really off, then I grabbed the manual to verify...which it did. Anyone else have any insight or thoughts/experiences on the traction control of their bimmer?
E36pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
Slowered318
tick.tick.tick.tick.tick

My car doesn't have a Traction Control button, I have one built into my foot.

The experience is worth more then the tires.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:51 PM   #3
E36pilot
1st Gear Newbie

LOL there ya go! I guess I'm with ya, don't like the RPMs being retarded.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:49 PM   #4
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
since i drive mine in the winter, it's very handy i'd say. without it it would be a pain in the a$$ to take off. even rainy days are crappy.

but as u said for racing od sliding i turn it off as well
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 11:26 PM   #5
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Well from the averge driver perspective, traction control helps. It helps you get going from a stop in slippery conditions in a controlled fashion. People who don't have much driving experience in the snow have a tendency of flooring it when they're stuck in the snow. Traction control, however, helps to get the car going but reducing excessive wheel slippage and even if the driver floors it with traction control on, the computer will cut ignition or apply brakes to the wheels slipper excessively.

Anyways when I had the 328 I could tell when traction control kicked it. I could, often, hear the eletronics making this slight buzzing noise and at the same time I could see the traction control light blinking when wheel slippage occured.

From a performance driving perspective, it's better to drive without traction control. It give you greater control and is dependent on driver inputs.

For winter driving, I'd advise leaving the traction control on. Just so that the tail won't kick out as easily if u accidentally apply too much throttle. But if you like to have some fun, then turn traction control off and from there, you'll have to modulate the throttle application, don't be too heavy footed
Old 11-29-2003, 03:40 AM   #6
Bigbore
4th Gear Member

of course your gonna get better times with traction control off, that means you are at least a semi skilled driver with some potential! People who get beter times with traction control and they have bascially stock cars are people who cannot drag, or have little to no experience, or think that spinning tires = fast.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:10 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I actually removed my traction control from my car because the first thing I did when I got in it was to press the ASC button (disabling it).

If I drove my car in the winter, I would more then likely reinstall it for the winter months though.

I never really found it too helpful, the only think I liked is how it prevents one wheel from spinning by applying the brakes on that wheel.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:46 PM   #8
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair

I never really found it too helpful, the only think I liked is how it prevents one wheel from spinning by applying the brakes on that wheel.
ASC doesnt have that
DSC has it.

So for us all it does is it cut the fuel supply to the engine, thats it
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:37 PM   #9
steelraven
2nd Gear Member

I got stuck in deep snow earlier this year and couldn't move.....finally figured out it was the DSC keeping the wheels from slipping so I turned it off and ripped my way through with rooster tails ablazin.

Ain't technology wonderful?
Old 12-03-2003, 05:32 PM   #10
captainchris
1st Gear Newbie

Traction control takes .5 sec off my 0 to 60 times and in the dry really blunts iniitial acceleration. In the wet I prefer it on as Im unsure about the full extent about my driving skills. It only works below 23 mph so I read. A colleague who drives in switzerland finds it buggers him up if he uses it in deep snow.
captainchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:22 PM   #11
JazzM
6th Gear Member

I removed the ACS elbow off my throttle body... Apparently its very restrictive and impedes the airflow. This can be replaced with an OEM BMW intake elbow.

regards,
Old 12-05-2003, 02:47 PM   #12
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
ASC doesnt have that
DSC has it.

So for us all it does is it cut the fuel supply to the engine, thats it
Wrong. ASC+T includes traction control, and ties into the ABS computer to pulse the rear brakes. This is how BMW was able to run open differentials on several E36 chassis.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #13
SUPERCHARGED
5th Gear Member

since i drive my car in the winter. i keep it on, it really helps, i don't know how you could drive without it. but in the summer as soon as i sit in the car, i turn it off. gives me control of the wheels.

the first few month that i got my car. i thought if the asc light was on it ment the traction control was on, . thank god this was in the summertime. but on a few rainy days, i almost killed myself a couple of time.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:15 AM   #14
E36pilot
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by GR8 Ride
Wrong. ASC+T includes traction control, and ties into the ABS computer to pulse the rear brakes. This is how BMW was able to run open differentials on several E36 chassis.

Pat
So is there two different kinds then? I see in my manual it refers to this as ASC+T, however my dash simply displays ASC. Is this still ASC+T? I have a 98 E36 M3.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:47 AM   #15
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by GR8 Ride

Pat
i was so sure about that, but damn you are right again
so DSC applies brakes to the front. Is that the main difference?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: