Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-22-2003, 11:15 PM   #1
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

This is getting embarrassing

Every time I slow down or come to a stop my brakes squeel like mad. I recently switched from Pagid (too much dust) to PBR. I took the pads out today and applied the stop squeel grease but that didn't help. I need to know what pads you guys are using that gives the best of both worlds (no dust no squeel). Thanks.

P.s. I would have posted this in the maintanence section but it seems like no one ever looks there.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:31 PM   #2
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

EBC GREEN STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no squeel no dust
Old 08-23-2003, 12:05 AM   #3
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Thanks windsor. Anyone know where to get these in T.O.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 12:29 AM   #4
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

any shop like bc auto should be able to get them for you, i believe i payed around 350 with tax for the front and back
Old 08-23-2003, 12:52 AM   #5
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

well i know some people on here use maxi-pads...lol

yeah green stuff is quality
Mr seville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 05:43 PM   #6
Mitch555
Retired MaXmember!

Quote:
Originally posted by R_JAY
Thanks windsor. Anyone know where to get these in T.O.
Try any performance shop! I know for a fact that Wheel and Tire Zone caries it. I need a pair myself... I hate that damn brake dust! R_Jay Did you get my PM or no?
Mitch555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 06:13 PM   #7
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr seville
well i know some people on here use maxi-pads...lol
that's just for a quick fix! like using pantyhose as a fan belt
Old 08-23-2003, 06:42 PM   #8
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by windsor318is
EBC GREEN STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no squeel no dust
BS, my EBC squeels like a mofo
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 06:43 PM   #9
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Re: This is getting embarrassing

Quote:
Every time I slow down or come to a stop my brakes squeel like mad. I recently switched from Pagid (too much dust) to PBR. I took the pads out today and applied the stop squeel grease but that didn't help. I need to know what pads you guys are using that gives the best of both worlds (no dust no squeel). Thanks.

P.s. I would have posted this in the maintanence section but it seems like no one ever looks there.
hehehe, sorry to hear man, that is by far the worst sound in the world, i'm in the process of going from PBR's (AMAZING pads, NO dust, but chew the SHITT outta my rotors!!) to PAGID (i'm in the process of putting them on). Are the pagid REALLY that dusty?? I guess if the rim is black it'll help! But how are the pagids on stopping?!
But ya, your in a tough spot, because from my experience with EBC the pads wear out REALLLLLLLL quick (depending on the driving you do, but HARD DRIVING = ). So your main chocie is basically, FAST rotor wear (PBR), DUST (Pagid), OR fast pad wear (EBC), i guess you COULD try experimenting with a different pad at each corner and see the outcome!
Soldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 06:58 PM   #10
Gamite

pagid's are crazy dusty... I drive for a week, and I have to clean my wheels.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 07:03 PM   #11
Soldo
6th Gear Member

DAMN, but other than the pounds of dust, how are the pagid pads performance wise, do they grab good, or what?!?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:39 AM   #12
sonic07
6th Gear Member

Re: This is getting embarrassing

Quote:

LOL ... again i got the same problem like yours .... the squealing is from the pad rubbing against the caliper ( i think from gathering some info ) both my front are doing that especially yesterday (friday) when it was hot. Tomorrow i will take them apart and try this brake lubricant (stop pad squeal). .... true it was so embarrassing because i saw people were looking .... who the heck drive the shit box ...lol .... so as much as possible i was down gearring and pumping the brake or come to the last second and slam on the brake so they won't make noise ....

did you try this same lubricant ?

i'll let you know how it turns out ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakelub1.jpg (13.9 KB, 166 views)

Pedal To The Metal
sonic07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 01:35 PM   #13
WASABI
OG

I'm currently on PBR Metal Masters, yes they squeal and still dust, but the squealing seem to go away after they heat up. I didn't use any anti-squeal either. I'm thinking of going to Hawk HPS next.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 09:32 PM   #14
sonic07
6th Gear Member

finally got rid off all the dust and took the whole brakes apart and lubricated every pieces then even did undercoating while wheels were off. this is what i hate the most putting tools away .... spend another hour just to put all tools where they belong or else i'll never find them again .....

Hey R_Jay .... i saw you on britannia and glen erin going west on britannia at 5:30pm (sun 24), then i saw your maxbimmer sticker on the window and i was waiving but you were too busy on the cell phone .... then you went north on winston churchill. i was testing the brakes if it was making noise still but so far so good .... no more crappy box noise ......fewwwhhhhh ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakejob.jpg (49.2 KB, 104 views)

Pedal To The Metal

Last edited by sonic07; 08-24-2003 at 09:47 PM.
sonic07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 09:35 PM   #15
mike125k
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to mike125k
brake squeal usually isnt caused by the pads themselves (unless youre hitting the squealers of rivets). 95% of the time it is bacause the caliper is not sliding on its pins freely. take the caliper off and clean the pins and make sure they slide nice and free. this will stop the problem. i just recleaned my pins and greased them up the other day actually to get they quiet again.
mike125k is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: