Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
bimmere30
2nd Gear Member

Insurance and e30

What insurance are you with and how much do u pay?
bimmere30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
partner103
2nd Gear Member

I am with CAA and around $150 for a 91 sedan. Tried a few others but they are more expensive. I also tried classics (haggerty I think), but only E30 M3 are categorized as classics. Mine doesn't qualify.
partner103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
food
Custom User Title

I pay $100 per month but only because its a euro car. The IBC doesn't have data on the VIN so its insured based on value. This is regular insurance, not specialty. For reference my 240SX is ~$150 per month.

There are companies that will insure regular E30s as "classics". I dont have the names of those companies but the requirements are:

-Must be over 15 years old
-Must have a written appraisal done by licensed appraiser (including photos of interior and exterior)
-Must own another vehicle with liability (driving) coverage at all times, the Classic auto can’t be used to commute to work except on occasion

I've had both my 240SX and Miata quoted as "classics" and they came in at $108 per YEAR!
food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
partner103
2nd Gear Member

I need your broker man.
Got a clean record (mid 30s) and my car is unmolested, unmodified.

Want to get that insurance lower if I can.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
food
Custom User Title

I've spent a lot of time searching for decent insurance. Including blind copying over 80 insurance brokers in my area. I highly suggest doing this as it is how I found my current broker.

Unfortunately most insurance companies have no interest in insuring anything over 15 years old. For any older car I have found that I will pay $120-$150 per month, regardless of what it is, for regular insurance. I'm 25 with a clean record, a homeowner and married (common law, which is not recognized by some companies). It is truly disgusting the amount of money paid out for insurance coverage in this province. Not to mention it makes no sense what so ever.

Nissan 240SX? $150 per month

240SX, Miata and E30? $120 per month

Put aftermarket struts in your car? You'll need to be on high risk facility insurance now. $500 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by partner103 View Post
I need your broker man.
Got a clean record (mid 30s) and my car is unmolested, unmodified.

Want to get that insurance lower if I can.
If you have another daily driver that has regular liability insurance on it then you absolutely should look into this "classic" insurance. I put it in quotes because I do not have a tonne of info on it. Just what I've been quoted for my cars. I'll PM you my brokers contact info. He should be able to fill you in.
food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
partner103
2nd Gear Member

Got the PM, thanks.

Got another one as a daily, so I went to a bunch of classic insurers and the ones I bumped into only marked up E30 M3s as a classic, unfortunately.

I'll give this fella a try and see what happens.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: