Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: No texting and driving pledge.
Yes, I pledge that I will not text and drive. 17 70.83%
No, I cannot/will not pledge that I will not text and drive. 4 16.67%
I don't think texting and driving is a problem. 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation Texting and driving pledge

Texting and driving is becoming a serious issue in society, we ourselves have been discussing it in various threads here. I think we all agree that texting has no place behind the wheel of a vehicle in motion. As driving enthusiasts who happen to drive what are arguably some of the finest machines ever made I think we need to become part of the solution. If we all make a pledge publicly [or at least to the membership here] to never text and drive and follow through on it it will be a first step to making the world a better place. It's up to each of us to be the change. Who'll join me?
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Seriously? Gayest thread ever.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
aviator
3rd Gear Member

I guess that would be one vote for option 3 . I'm just trying to leave this world a better place than I found it.
We've all contributed to the mess this place is in now, it's up to us to clean it up.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

I only text and drive when I'm drunk.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
I only text and drive when I'm drunk.
Should have been the 4th poll option,

I vote for an option that says I text and drive when I need to instagram my salad. That I eat behind the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

more than likely a sample of people here will text and drive the least already compared to a sample of the regular population. ie: we are already doing our part.

Driving issues out on the road are not generally an issue with the enthusiast and message forum community since most of us are already on the high end of the curve in terms of awareness while driving etc.

This would be better suited aimed at people on twitter, fb, news site where it could reach most other "sheeple" who are out to lunch while on the road.

Last edited by SiR; 09-18-2013 at 02:12 PM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
I dont do it often, but i'm sure i do it sometimes.

I think we should make mandatory penalties for people who cause accidents as a result of drinking, texting, whatever.

If you get into an accident because you were texting, and you face a mandatory 3 year license suspension, i'm pretty sure you wont do it again.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old fart, but it bothers the heck out of me when the drivers behind and beside me are staring at their crotches and smiling (now *that's* gay) instead of stopping for pedestrians or driving off when the light turns green or moving over for the ambulance.

I think the recent spate of zombie movies is inspired by annoying hordes of text-walkers.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
canukgtp
2nd Gear Member

I've always found the texting and driving thing kinda dangerous...but I have to admit that I have to stop myself from looking down at my phone when stopped at a light...especially if the little red light is blinking
canukgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
BMXWill
2nd Gear Member

I'd like to know if texting related accidents are up since the law was passed. Everyone now just holds their phone low and looks down to "not be seen texting" (not fooling anyone) rather than up high in plain site where they can still see ahead.

I certainly don't feel the roads are any safer since they instated this law. It didn't correct the problem of no one in the GTA knowing how to drive or what lane to drive in.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXWill View Post
I'd like to know if texting related accidents are up since the law was passed. Everyone now just holds their phone low and looks down to "not be seen texting" (not fooling anyone) rather than up high in plain site where they can still see ahead.

I certainly don't feel the roads are any safer since they instated this law. It didn't correct the problem of no one in the GTA knowing how to drive or what lane to drive in.
That would be an interesting fact to know... I'm sure they are tracking stats on it now, if they were doing it pre-distracted driving law as a separate stat from plain cell use idk...

If the roads are any safer or not idk that either but as an anecdotal observation, as someone who drives for a living I've noticed less people driving with a phone held to their ear with one hand... those that are still doing it actually stand out now.

As for the poor driving skills/habits of the average GTA driver I'm not sure what can be done about that other than better training for the rookies and perhaps a concerted province wide psa campaign to teach/remind drivers of the proper way to drive. With more and more drivers getting on the road every year we all need to make the effort to make better use of the limited road space we have.

Last edited by aviator; 09-19-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Make the pledge. Be the change you want to see.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

It's time they started taking driving licenses away from these idiots who think no one notices what they are doing.
Personally I think one who does is worse than an impaired driver and deserves more than a pathetic warning the cops seem to hard out.
Wait till one of your loved ones gets wiped out due to some idiot who had to tell a friend that he just farted.
At least an impaired driver does not know what he or she is doing.
3x Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x Beemer View Post
It's time they started taking driving licenses away from these idiots who think no one notices what they are doing.
Personally I think one who does is worse than an impaired driver and deserves more than a pathetic warning the cops seem to hard out.
Wait till one of your loved ones gets wiped out due to some idiot who had to tell a friend that he just farted.
At least an impaired driver does not know what he or she is doing.
So,you are saying that it is ok if an impaired driver wiped out one of your loved one for they know not what he/she was doing!!!

To sign or not to sign is not the issue,driver just have to use common sense,
If you need to use your cell phone,pull over

For me,I don't text or answer any call when I am driving,period.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
aviator
3rd Gear Member

I don't think he's saying it's ok for a drunk to injure anyone just that they are "less" responsible because their judgement was impaired by their drunken state when compared with the sober idiot busy texting behind the wheel.

Both are being selfish and stupid but only the sober one is in any condition to actually realize it at the moment.

The whole goal is to make texting and driving as socially unacceptable as drinking and driving is now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: