Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Insurance settlement

So insurance has finally given me an offer.

For those who haven't figured this out. I threw a rod at mosport which resulted in hitting the wall and the car is a write off.

Now the insurance company valued the car at approx. 8000 but has decided to deduct the price of the engine from the car as "prior damage". I would argue that the engine was fully functional at the time of the loss and should be compensated for.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
how did you get your insurance company to cover you at the track? were you lapping or racing?

my broker tells me every time i renew that if i hit something at the track i'm not covered.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
mr ilia
3rd Gear Member

interesting, can you lowball insurance with engine value of 100.00? and keep 7900?
mr ilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ilia View Post
interesting, can you lowball insurance with engine value of 100.00? and keep 7900?
Well I am going to argue there was no prior damage to the engine
Old 08-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
dcramer
5th Gear Member

if you are racing you are not covered. Driver education is covered.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...the-track.html
Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
davericher20
black and blue

Wow, you either got some serious balls to file a claim while at the track, or you're not all there....jk.
You aren't worried about your premiums after this claim? Very curious to see how this plays out, i was always under the impression that while at a school, you have coverage, (and they rape you after) at a lapping day, you do not have coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Well considering I have it on file that they were OK with me going to D/E events I fail to see how they can charge me more after the fact. But yes we will see
Old 08-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Hopefully you don't get dropped, let us know if insurance tries to pull anything on you after all this is done, it will after-all be treated as an at fault claim. So your insurance will go up.

I didn't think it was worth the risk of this type of claim unless it was a huge payout.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

^^it may not be. technically its a mechanical failure that led to the accident, which would be not at fault.

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 08-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
^^it may not be. technically its a mechanical failure that led to the accident, which would be not at fault.
It's still a claim, call it comprehensive, call it at-fault. It still goes against you.

Unless you have forgiveness.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
It's still a claim, call it comprehensive, call it at-fault. It still goes against you.

Unless you have forgiveness.
Exactly. How twisted is that eh? You are obligated by law to buy insurance from a PRIVATE insurer. You pay for insurance for many many years, giving them business, and when it's time to get what you are paying for (protection), you are either "forgiven" because you buy into the "forgiveness" plan, OR you get paid out and either kicked out or your rates go up. Lose/Lose situation in all directions.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
propr'one
op sucks cock

i dont disagree, you did say explicitly that it would be taken as an at fault claim, which is what i was responding to.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
dcramer
5th Gear Member

I am starting to agree that I should have not made the claim. I may decide to withdraw the claim at which point I can go to any other insurer and state that I have not made any claims
Old 08-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

i think you'll probably come out ahead, unless your insurance goes up 2K a year for the next three years you'll be fine. if they already made you an offer i would certainly take it. (they will probably give you close to 8 without the motor. ask to keep the motor if its not covered, then all you need is a bottom end and you've got a powerplant ready to go)

Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Unfortunately when a rod goes everything is f.... One of the valve adjustment shims is broken.

If they gave me 8k I'd be good. Unfortunately it is much less they are offering.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: