Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

325ix manual swap. Local help?

Just got an 89 ix auto in decent shape and looking to do a manual swap this spring or summer. Poking around for parts now. I'm a beginner mechanic and think this may be overwhelming for me. I'm in Guelph. Anyone nearby that may be willing to assist with the swap?
aberg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

do you realize what kind of work you'll be getting yourself into??? lol
I don't think anyone is going to help through and through. it's a HUGE job. if I were you I'd thoroughly investigate it before attempting since you're a newbie.

most importantly you will need a 5sp transfer case. Unless you get a 5 sp transmission with the transfer case attached. The auto and 5sp have different front housings.

parts requried: pedals
clutch and slave cylinders and lines
clutch
new seals on the transmission while you have it out. maybe good to check the shifter bushings as well while it's out. :-)
not sure about the front drive shaft but may be shorter.
the front and rear diff has a different ratio on a auto. 4:10 is what you have.
3:90 is what comes with a 5sp. you may or may not want to keep the set up you have
the car will be quicker with the 4:10 and 5sp.

Of course you also have the labour: exhaust system out, drive shafts out. rear diff out.
transmission out. and the list goes on...

still feel like doing it?? LOL!!

sorry, not to discourage but you'll also be into about a grand or more in used parts. plus replacements.

check with boxer2.bmw@gmail.com. he's got a few parts cars. I know he's got a 5sp tranny with case.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!

Last edited by Ceeker; 04-21-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

I realize what I'm up against and willing to see it through. This isn't my daily driver. Picked it up as more of a fun project. In no rush and willing to get my hands dirty and learn something in the process. While it appears to be a big job, it doesn't seem too complex, just labour intensive. With the support of the forum and a close friend who's done a few swaps in RWD e30's I still see this as a very doable exercise.

How hard is it to pull the transmission with the car up on standard crappy tire jack stands? I'm thinking the hardest part will be access to unbolt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
cormier
6th Gear Member

It's a biatch to get out, but do-able with impact/breaker bar and lots of different size extensions and swivel joints.

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Ceeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
It's a biatch to get out, but do-able with impact/breaker bar and lots of different size extensions and swivel joints.
like he said..^ BIATCH!!! it's heavy work. and you'll need to source the parts. that can be hard to do since most transfer cases are blown.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 04-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
cormier
6th Gear Member

Ohhhh ya forgot about all those extra bits..... Good luck to ya! I assume the transfer case isn't interchangeable?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Ceeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
Ohhhh ya forgot about all those extra bits..... Good luck to ya! I assume the transfer case isn't interchangeable?
outer front case is different on the 5sp vs auto. The auto tranny output is shorter making the front case bigger.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 04-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
davericher20
black and blue

And don't forget to mate the driveshaft to the tranny first before you bolt the tranny back up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
Ceeker

I have read that one of the inherent problems with the spine stripping is due to the shaft spline not being long enough to fill the entire length of the output. ( ok I realize how this is sounding..LOL) Some have added a shim/spacer at the diff side in order to lengthen the shaft allowing it to seat deeper eliminating this problem. LMAO!!

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

I think your post should be censored!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
When looking for a used transfercase, be sure to check a few things. If you can lock the input and rear output flanges, the front output should have a ton of resistance, but still turn very slowly(not a sure test, but gets you started). If you can easily turn the front output by hand, its a sure sign the VC is bad.

Grab the front output and wiggle cw/ccw to feel for a clunk-clunk. A very small amount is normal, but a heavy sounding thunk is a chain that has stretched. Most chains will stretch over time, but the tighter the better.

Look at the front output flange splines, they should be straight cut, with no rounded teeth or a step part way along their length. This flange can be replaced, but I've never done one and don't know where you would find one.

The chain, VC and output flange in your auto case are all the same as in the 5spd. So if yours is good and you find something wrong with your new one, you may have to get a little more in-depth(a lot) but all is not lost.

And yes, when you put a new shaft in, use spacers so you can be sure to get the best spline engagement. There is a lot of talk on this topic on e30tech.com's ix section.

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaught View Post
When looking for a used transfercase, be sure to check a few things. If you can lock the input and rear output flanges, the front output should have a ton of resistance, but still turn very slowly(not a sure test, but gets you started). If you can easily turn the front output by hand, its a sure sign the VC is bad.

Grab the front output and wiggle cw/ccw to feel for a clunk-clunk. A very small amount is normal, but a heavy sounding thunk is a chain that has stretched. Most chains will stretch over time, but the tighter the better.

Look at the front output flange splines, they should be straight cut, with no rounded teeth or a step part way along their length. This flange can be replaced, but I've never done one and don't know where you would find one.

The chain, VC and output flange in your auto case are all the same as in the 5spd. So if yours is good and you find something wrong with your new one, you may have to get a little more in-depth(a lot) but all is not lost.

And yes, when you put a new shaft in, use spacers so you can be sure to get the best spline engagement. There is a lot of talk on this topic on e30tech.com's ix section.
Thanks for the tips. Can the drive shafts from the auto not be re-used with the manual t-case?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
Ceeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberg83 View Post
Thanks for the tips. Can the drive shafts from the auto not be re-used with the manual t-case?
NOPE! different length..I thought I went through this already? LOL!!

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Old 04-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
Ceeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaught View Post

I've changed a front flange....wow..the transfer case has to come completely apart... most people cheat it by welding a couple dimples on the flange to shaft. Seem to work.

2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
1 87 325is red - parts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: