Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
South
3rd Gear Member

Speeding ticket

I know theres alot of these tpyes of posts but nonetheless the advice is appreciated.

Anyway I did a right turn at a red light and gunned it to about 90 going up the hill, put in neutral and cruised a bit. But it was too late, cop already saw me at intersection and he gunned it and pulled me over. Said I was going 40 over but gave me a ticker for going 20 over in a 60 zone.

The ticket doesn't show it was dropped from 40 over or anything. So I mean this 20 over should I just pay? or should I fight it?
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
1bmw1
4th Gear Member

20 over i think you recieve points so it's really up to you. I think if you have the time to fight it, then why not? Worth a shot.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by South View Post
I know theres alot of these tpyes of posts but nonetheless the advice is appreciated.

Anyway I did a right turn at a red light and gunned it to about 90 going up the hill, put in neutral and cruised a bit. But it was too late, cop already saw me at intersection and he gunned it and pulled me over. Said I was going 40 over but gave me a ticker for going 20 over in a 60 zone.

The ticket doesn't show it was dropped from 40 over or anything. So I mean this 20 over should I just pay? or should I fight it?
If you fight it, you are fighting the actual 40 over charge. If you have a case or follow this site (ASK FOR DISCLOSURE!!!) you could win and get off squeaky clean.

I recommend fighting it, follow this site:
http://www.roadwarriors.ca/ontario_t...ckets_tutorial

your other option is go on for a first appearance. speak to the prosecutor and they'll drop it to 15 over which is zero demerit points.
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
daytona
6th Gear Member

Cop probably put an "R" on the ticket meaning he reduced the speed..if the cop shows up and you got the disclosure in time you are screwed and better make a deal with the prosecutor before your case is called.I was charged under the HTA and got it thrown out due to it was over 11 months and I got the disclosrer at the trial and the witnesses never showed.My lucky damn day.....
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

ya...as others have said...ask for disclosure immediately. at worst you get the same deal on day of the trial. chances are no disclosure will be sent. and you get another round to fight it.

unless you are nearing 6 points...the biggest concern is impact to insurance. points or not points an infraction does show up on your abstract. and insurance if they pull it will see it and hello to bend over time.

here's another site...very similar to earlier one posted. not asking for court date is no excuse.

the long term impact to your wallet is insurance hike.

http://www.ticketcombat.com/step4/disclosure.php
Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
South
3rd Gear Member

Thx for the info guys. Taking it to court. I just do not know what I am going to defend. I guess that depends a lot on disclosure?

when the officer pulled me over he just told me I think you were doing a 100 because that's what I did to catch up to you. And I said I was like doing maybe 80, if that - and he reduced it to 20 over in a 60 zone and not 40 over....

Im just worried I go to court and get nailed with the 40 over in the end

any more thoughts?
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
So you confessed to doing 20 over. That was pretty stupid, and is going to be very hard to beat in court. Hope that he doesn't show.

Remember: Demerit points dont matter unless you're losing your licence. Fines for speeding are small. You're fighting to keep your insurance cheap. Admitting guilt to an officer is NEVER the right thing to do, especially when he admitted to you he had no idea how fast you were going. (Officers cannot "guess" your speed based on how fast they were going to catch you, that will never stand up in court.)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
So you confessed to doing 20 over. That was pretty stupid, and is going to be very hard to beat in court. Hope that he doesn't show.

Remember: Demerit points dont matter unless you're losing your licence. Fines for speeding are small. You're fighting to keep your insurance cheap. Admitting guilt to an officer is NEVER the right thing to do, especially when he admitted to you he had no idea how fast you were going. (Officers cannot "guess" your speed based on how fast they were going to catch you, that will never stand up in court.)
Bingo. Need solid proof. Never EVER admit guilt. Also fight it! Hire someone if you can't handle it, its worth it
Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
325isdan
5th Gear Member

OMG.. DO not fight the ticket. Check the box that is Plead Guilty but talk to the Prosecutor. They will most likely switch the ticket to 10 over no points. And if they dont and you still want to fight it you still have that option.

The Prosecutor is there to help you out.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
sloveniaboy
6th Gear Member

I would fight it, request disclosure and go from there. You could plead guilty with an explanation and hope for a lower penalty but your insurance wont care, a ticket is a ticket and your rates will most likely go up as a result. Also, the ticket will remain on your driving record for a period of time which wont help in any subsequent stops by police. I'm not saying there isn't risk in fighting it, because there is, but this is the only route to totally get rid of the ticket.

and I second this

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post

Last edited by sloveniaboy; 01-16-2013 at 04:43 PM.
sloveniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
OMG.. DO not fight the ticket. Check the box that is Plead Guilty but talk to the Prosecutor. They will most likely switch the ticket to 10 over no points. And if they dont and you still want to fight it you still have that option.

The Prosecutor is there to help you out.
omg really?!? The prosecutor is a ****ing asshole, always will be an asshole, and thinks everyone else is the asshole.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
sloveniaboy
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
omg really?!? The prosecutor is a ****ing asshole, always will be an asshole, and thinks everyone else is the asshole.
true
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

As Ivan said, you already confessed to the crime by admitting you were doing 20 over (not smart). He had nothing on you until you said that.

Do as some here said and follow roadwarriors (request disclosure, file a court date, wait as neither come on time, play your cards right in response, etc). You have a good chance of getting off completely if you educate yourself well and go in knowing how to play the game.

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
sirex
King Sirex

you know ive been generally blessed by not being pulled over, so I've never had to talk to a cop about this stuff.

but how can the officer say you were doing 40 over? How does he know? Do they have radar on their dashboards now or something?

I mean if the cop pulled you over, what is he going to say?

Do you know how fast you were going?
'the speed limit'
No you were doing 40 over the limit!
'umm, Im pretty sure I was doing the limit'
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
starbuck
2nd Gear Member

Ok a lot of advice being given is BAD advice .. I have extensive experience with the consequences of settling on a lesser charge .. No matter what, FIGHT IT... This is important because if you don't win completely (meaning no conviction of any kind), you will face insurance rate consequences on your next renewal. Believe me, points don't matter (is used by mto only), its the conviction that matters no matter how low they reduce the fine to. The extra insurance premium you pay for 3 years from the date of conviction will be far greater than any savings you could achieve with a reduced charge
starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: