Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Steven325e
2nd Gear Member
 
Steven325e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Guelph, ON
Posts: 95
Registering car as "unfit" title and paying taxes

Does anyone know how it works when you transfer ownership and register a car as unfit?
Are taxes still based on based on book value even though the car is unfit?
__________________
CURRENT: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GS - Black Mica | 1998 BMW 328i - Montrealblau-metallic
GONE: 1992 Mazda Miata - Classic Red | 1986 BMW 325e - Burgundrot-Metallic
Steven325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,344
Yes, taxes are the same no matter how it's registered.

Either based on what you paid on the bill of sale or the price listed on the UVIP whichever is greater. Unfit allows you to get a temp permit so that you can get the car safetied and emission tested at which point you go back and have it changed over to fit while registering or getting a new plate/valid sticker for it.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
SamE30e
6th Gear Member
 
SamE30e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Milton
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Yes, taxes are the same no matter how it's registered.

Either based on what you paid on the bill of sale or the price listed on the UVIP whichever is greater. Unfit allows you to get a temp permit so that you can get the car safetied and emission tested at which point you go back and have it changed over to fit while registering or getting a new plate/valid sticker for it.
Unfit does not allow you to get a temp.

Unfit is basically to get the vehicle in your name, you can't plate it until you get a safety and e-test.
__________________
91 318is - M50NV (gone)
02 WRB Subaru WRX EJ207 forged, 320 AWHP stock turbo.
85 - 325
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor
 
Eurostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milton
Posts: 14,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
Unfit is basically to get the vehicle in your name, you can't plate it until you get a safety and e-test.
Like posted before, you can get it palted with a safety. E-est can be done later, it will have the "T" sticker, and Temp status.
__________________
BIMMER HEAVEN
Specialized in BMW recycling, all OEM used parts
Up to 90% off new cost!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4


2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
Unfit does not allow you to get a temp.

Unfit is basically to get the vehicle in your name, you can't plate it until you get a safety and e-test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Like posted before, you can get it palted with a safety. E-est can be done later, it will have the "T" sticker, and Temp status.
I know for a fact that several years ago you didn't need a safety or e-test to get a temp permit, because I had one to get the car certified. Can't remember exactly how unfit/fit played a role.

According to info on the ministry site, you still can get a temp permit without a safety:
http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...ate-validation

Quote:
To get a temporary plate validation you must provide the following documents:

- The current vehicle permit, indicating that the vehicle’s status is “Fit.” If the vehicle permit is not registered in your name, the back of the permit must be completed and signed by the previous owner
- A Used Vehicle Information Package (if you bought the vehicle through a private sale)
- The name of your insurance company and the policy number for the vehicle
existing licence plates (if available) along with the plate portion of the vehicle permit
- A $15.00 fee for the permit
- Owners must pay all outstanding fees – including unpaid highway tolls, unpaid parking fines and Not Sufficient Funds (NSFs) – before receiving a temporary permit.
From this I take it you can still get a temp plate as long as when the seller gives you and signs the ownership it is in a 'fit' state. If you buy an unfit car, then yes you are correct you can't get a temp sticker without a safety.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Dealer plates are god. We can do whatever we want.
Until you get caught
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
SamE30e
6th Gear Member
 
SamE30e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Milton
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
I know for a fact that several years ago you didn't need a safety or e-test to get a temp permit, because I had one to get the car certified. Can't remember exactly how unfit/fit played a role.

According to info on the ministry site, you still can get a temp permit without a safety:
http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...ate-validation



From this I take it you can still get a temp plate as long as when the seller gives you and signs the ownership it is in a 'fit' state. If you buy an unfit car, then yes you are correct you can't get a temp sticker without a safety.




Until you get caught
You can't transfer a car over in 'fit' state unless it has a safety with it...

So you need a safety.... Then you only have the temp till you get a e-test.
__________________
91 318is - M50NV (gone)
02 WRB Subaru WRX EJ207 forged, 320 AWHP stock turbo.
85 - 325
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Steven325e
2nd Gear Member
 
Steven325e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Guelph, ON
Posts: 95
Ok thanks.
__________________
CURRENT: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GS - Black Mica | 1998 BMW 328i - Montrealblau-metallic
GONE: 1992 Mazda Miata - Classic Red | 1986 BMW 325e - Burgundrot-Metallic
Steven325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor
 
Eurostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milton
Posts: 14,964
With "unfit" you can NOT get a temp permit!!! Car must be towed and safety done, after this you can register as "fit/temporary" and drive it to get etest. If the car is over 20 years old, more things are needed! If this is the case let me know, I did 4 visits to the DMV last week just on ONE transfer for 25 year old car!
__________________
BIMMER HEAVEN
Specialized in BMW recycling, all OEM used parts
Up to 90% off new cost!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4


2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
lvan
6th Gear Member
 
lvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Location
Posts: 5,218
Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
With "unfit" you can NOT get a temp permit!!! Car must be towed and safety done, after this you can register as "fit/temporary" and drive it to get etest. If the car is over 20 years old, more things are needed! If this is the case let me know, I did 4 visits to the DMV last week just on ONE transfer for 25 year old car!
I can't see the logic unless it can not pass the e-TEST. iF you are going to tow it and do safety, why would't you do the e test along eveything and be done with it.
__________________
-2013 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
-2006 Bianchi Reparto Corse - Handmade in Italy (Does your bike need a pro-tune up? PM ME)
-1991 BMW 318i (SOLD)
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor
 
Eurostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Milton
Posts: 14,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
I can't see the logic unless it can not pass the e-TEST. iF you are going to tow it and do safety, why would't you do the e test along eveything and be done with it.
It's a sefety issue! If you can get a certification, chances are the car won't fall apart on the road! It's made the keep shitty cars off the road untill they get inspected.
__________________
BIMMER HEAVEN
Specialized in BMW recycling, all OEM used parts
Up to 90% off new cost!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4


2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Steven325e
2nd Gear Member
 
Steven325e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Guelph, ON
Posts: 95
I'm not worried about moving it. My friend has a dealer plate and can help me move the car around. I'm more so concerned with how to pay the least amount of tax.

Since the car needs work, and I obviously paid less than book value (because it needs work), seems unfair that I will still be taxed book value.
__________________
CURRENT: 2005 Mazda 3 Sport GS - Black Mica | 1998 BMW 328i - Montrealblau-metallic
GONE: 1992 Mazda Miata - Classic Red | 1986 BMW 325e - Burgundrot-Metallic
Steven325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member
 
NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven325e View Post
I'm not worried about moving it. My friend has a dealer plate and can help me move the car around.
I'm 99% sure that it is illegal to do this... A car cannot be "unfit" and used on the road period. That means a dealer plate cannot be used.
__________________
E36 DYNO TUNING WIRING PARTS
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
IChopCars
aka ROOFLESS
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: sauga
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
I'm 99% sure that it is illegal to do this... A car cannot be "unfit" and used on the road period. That means a dealer plate cannot be used.
Dealer plates are used all the time on unfit cars. Wholesalers come to my dealership all the time and drive away old cars that were just traded in. Technically, all those cars are unfit because they have not had safety/etest done yet. Although the car cant be obviously unsafe to drive. But dealers do it all the time. Move a car from one lot to another with bald tires, burnt out brake lights etc...
__________________
IChopCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member
 
NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by IChopCars View Post
Dealer plates are used all the time on unfit cars. Wholesalers come to my dealership all the time and drive away old cars that were just traded in. Technically, all those cars are unfit because they have not had safety/etest done yet. Although the car cant be obviously unsafe to drive. But dealers do it all the time. Move a car from one lot to another with bald tires, burnt out brake lights etc...

You're right, just checked... I know the dealer plate insurance is pretty strict in some regards. But they do actually allow the use of the plate even on "unfit" cars as long as they are still safe to drive.
__________________
E36 DYNO TUNING WIRING PARTS
NOTORIOUS VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy
 
bmwm5lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 15,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
I'm 99% sure that it is illegal to do this... A car cannot be "unfit" and used on the road period. That means a dealer plate cannot be used.
Dealer plates are god. We can do whatever we want.
__________________
www.enthusiastauto.caNeed a car???

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.