Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Photography
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Nikon 1 J1 or Olympus Mini PEN E-PM1??

Photography friends...

I bought the Nikon 1 J1 and the Olympus Mini PEN E-PM1. Price difference is about $100 between then with the Olympus being cheaper. I'm running my own shot tests to see which I like better (mostly concerned about low light shooting).

Anyone have any compelling reasons for one over the other? The Olympus sensor is bigger, with higher res and SHOULD perform slightly better in low light. The Nikon has a bunch of gimmicky features, but has a flash built in, where are the Olympus comes with it, but it is removable.

Thoughts? Anyone have any experience with either of these?

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
I know this comment is a bit late, but, better late, than never.

I don't like either of them. If I had to, I would stick with the Nikon 1.

The PEN feels better than the Nikon 1 in my hands, and it's a great little camera. The Nikon 1 to me, feels all sloppy and shizznit. Especially the lens. I like the component quality in the Nikon better. The Nikon should produce slightly better results than the PEN, IMO.

Either of them would be good for someone who isn't a photog, or doesn't want a bulky DSLR with them all the time, when they don't need it. They both are tied in my books, but I trust Nikon, and have never been let down by my D60, which has over 20,000 exposures on it, and has been in rain, snow, ice, dirt, heat.......it's just taken a beating in general.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

I agree - I have a D90 and trust Nikon - but Nikon let me down with this one...

They PQ was "ok" on both of them, not as sharp as I would have expected. The nikon has a known blurry picture problem which they say they fixed in a firmware update - didn't look like it to me after I updated it.

Ultimately, for the price I was paying, I expected more. I returned both and got a SX260HS point and shoot and believe it or not, the pics are sharper with that for less money...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 01-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Pfaff Tuning
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Ultimately, for the price I was paying, I expected more. I returned both and got a SX260HS point and shoot and believe it or not, the pics are sharper with that for less money...
Awesome little pocket camera for the money. Sony's HX30 is a friggen killer in that range.

I find in order to be truly happy with the compact system cameras you need to get up to the Nex-6/OM-D/XE-1 territory...although as far as size goes the NEX-5R is the best.

For the choices you had: fast focusing, compact, but "boring" image quality and manual functionality is more or less not usable (not really the point of the cameras...but something that deterred me).

Pfaff Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
I never knew about blurry pictures.... That's a real let down!

Well, I guess you don't always get what you pay for. Sometimes, you just gotta go with something cheaper.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

Made in GERMANY Leica X2

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Kinda not even in the same world of price... Not a comparison.

2007 Z4 3.0si

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: